October 13th Support Team Meeting Summary

Announcements

WordPress 4.6.1

We had nothing new to add to the known issues for WordPress 4.6.1.

Forum Upgrade Status

The official ETA is that everything will be done when it’s done.

We have nothing to add to our list of things that would be nice for Moderators and other volunteers to have and the list of known issues at this time.

In good news though, we would love to announce that those with Keymaster access can now bulk-spam topics and replies from wp-admin, so if there’s ever a really crazy spam flood, ask for a Keymaster in #forums on Slack (there should be one available at most times).

Reminder on Some “How to Moderate” Things

Despite this handbook page on moderation in the new forums, and this overview of working in the moderation queues, it would appear that some key points are being ignored.

  • Do not trash/delete/archive spam. Spam is spam and should be marked as Spam and sent to the Spam queue, where it will remain until Akismet automatically removes it on its schedule (something like 15 days).
  • Do not unapprove things. This sends them back into the Pending queue, which really should be empty at all times (those items older than 2 months will be cleared soon). Basically, Unapproving something means that another Moderator has to take time to figure out what to do with it, and they might just re-approve it. If you come across something live that is spam, mark it as Spam. If you come across something live that shouldn’t be there but is not Spam (duplicates and other junk), use the Archive option. Archive is the new Delete. (@jmdodd will address this tonight by removing the Unapprove option)
  • Announce when you are working with spam and/or pending in #forums on Slack, and announce when you are done. The actions are currently hard toggles, meaning that two people clicking “Approve” in the Pending queue simply sends the item right back to the Pending queue. (this will be fixed eventually)

In addition to the above, and obviously related to the situation, please remember that the Moderator role requires “attending as many meetings as possible within reason,” and in addition please subscribe to Make/Support. Being aware of new information as we all learn how best to moderate the forums will avoid a lot of unnecessary overlap and duplication of efforts.

Checkin with International Support Liaisons

Attendance

@macmanx @clorith @jmdodd @bdbrown @kidsguide @gagan0123 @sterndata @zoonini @keesiemeijer @numeeja @dartiss @cristianozanca @d4z_c0nf @geoffreyshilling @songdogtech @stephencottontail @ipstenu @kenshino @t-p @gmosso @casiepa @netweb @sergeybiryukov @lukecavanagh @jdembowski @jcastaneda @bcworkz @abletec @cais @otto42 @danhgilmore attended.

Read the meeting transcript in the Slack archives. (A Slack account is required)

#weekly-chat

September 29th Support Team Meeting Summary

Announcements

WordPress 4.6.1

We have added to “when enabled, plugin auto-updates can fail if they involve several plugins in a row” to the known issues for WordPress 4.6.1.

Forum Upgrade Status

The official ETA is that everything will be done when it’s done.

We have nothing to add to our list of things that would be nice for Moderators and other volunteers to have and the list of known issues at this time.

WCUS Preliminary Headcount

WordCamp US 2016 will be December 2 – 4 with the Contributor Day on December 4. We’re collecting a headcount of those who plan to attend the Support section of Contributor Day, so we have a reasonable expectation of how many existing support volunteers will be available to help new support volunteers.

During the meeting, 7 support volunteers confirmed they’d be there. If you were not in the meeting, but do plan to attend the Support section of Contributor Day, please do let us know in the comments below by Monday, October 3. (If you’re unsure, we look forward to you being there if you can, but you don’t have to let us know. We’ll plan for more than those who have confirmed for sure.)

Abandoned Not-English Forums

It has come to our attention that a few not-English forums have been abandoned by their Keymasters and Moderators. Several ideas were shared, all with merit, so the decision was to approach each case individually and form a policy later based on what has worked best overall.

For now, @kenshino will be reaching out to top volunteers in the forums in question to establish new Keymasters and Moderators, and we’ll discuss how that went and if any changes to the plan are necessary next week.

Moderation Enhancements

We’d like to contribute some moderation enhancements back to bbPress, rather than just build a plugin, so please think about what you’d like to see in bbPress for moderation (could be mockups, screenshots of other moderation interfaces, or even just words). A master post will be published here by @jdembowski this weekend to further coordinate our efforts.

Additionally, @clorith has volunteered to put together a work group this weekend in #forums on Slack for direct brainstorming and possibly even development. If you’re interested, please DM him to coordinate.

Checkin with International Support Liaisons

Attendance

@macmanx @bcworkz @jmdodd @lasacco @clorith @cais @jcastaneda @kidsguide @sergeybiryukov @cristianozanca @jdembowski @t-p @kmessinger @gagan0123 @geoffreyshilling @fierevere @numeeja @lukecavanagh @abletec @ipstenu @kenshino @bethannon1 @hardeepasrani @stephencottontail @songdogtech @sterndata @otto42 attended.

Read the meeting transcript in the Slack archives. (A Slack account is required)

#weekly-chat

September 22nd Support Team Meeting Summary

Announcements

WordPress 4.6.1

No new issues or trends have been identified since last weeks meeting. There may be a 4.6.2 to address the issues that have arisen so far.

Forum Upgrade Status

Due to the Automattic Grand Meetup (a8cgm) most of the people capable of handling commits and changes have been away, so no traction has been made on the lists for Forum Bugs and Broken Things and our own Support Forum Upgrade OMGWTFBBQ Master List.

A discussion on notification to users if their post is held for moderation or is put in the spam queue was had , the message should be held generic so as not to cause alarm by telling users they are spamming, and will include an actionable item if it’s been held for moderation for a prolonged period of time (after 96 hours). This was added to the already existing meta ticket for moderation queue visual feedbacks.

Checking with International Support Liaisons

@jmdodd dropped by and let us know the Russian support forum move to the bbPress support plugin is on the todo list now that they’re back from a8cgm.

Attendance

@clorith, @lasacco, @kidsguide, @bethannon1, @hardeepasrani, @numeeja, @ipstenu, @jmdodd, @cristianozanca, @songdogtech, @keesiemeijer, @dartiss, @sergeybiryukov, @gagan0123, @jdembowski, @fierevere, @voldemortensen, @lukecavanagh, @kmessinger, @cais, @abletec, @t-p, @kenshino, @pr0v4, @otto42, @sterndata and @zodiac1978 attended.

Read the meeting transcript in the Slack archives (A Slack account is required)

#weekly-chat

Support Forum Upgrade OMGWTFBBQ Master List

I’m making US a master list 🙂 Since we have P2, we can mark them off when done. Hah. This is a sticky, so we should edit it and add more on as we make discussion posts (or trac tickets) for them.

Please note that these are things primarily needed by Moderators, not a list of general bugs etc.

Things that are ‘broken’

Profiles list of replies is not as useful as the old one

Moderators cannot see IPs and eamils on profiles or in posts — Sometimes the view all link is missing due to caching. When this happens, even adding ?view=all manually doesn’t work. This explains the issue I had on Friday. We need the link to always show, and it must bust cache 🙁 (fixed in r4122-meta and r4123-meta)

New Features we’d like to have

Minor bugs we know about

  • Do we need a better name than archive to ‘delete’ posts?
  • Should we have a way to confirm as spam to hide from spam view? @otto42 is looking into this
  • Would tool-tips on the action links (archive, spam, etc) help?

#upgrade

September 1st Support Team Meeting Summary

Announcements

WordPress 4.6

We have nothing new to add to the known issues for WordPress 4.6.

WordPress 4.6.1

WordPress 4.6.1 RC is here, please help test it, and it sounds like we can look forward to the official release of 4.6.1 on September 7.

The Move to bbPress 2

The move to bbPress 2 is underway! The forums are currently closed until launch, but the WordPress IRC channel is here for any WordPress help you need.

Eight important things to keep in mind post launch:

  • Things that actually break the forums should be reported immediately, and things that would be nice to have or problems we can live with for a while should be reported the following week (there will be an open sticky thread for all of this).
  • Reviews will be closed for about 4 days. Due to technical reasons, it was either this or close all of the forums for about 2 whole days just so we can launch with everything open.
  • The plan is to deprecate the Keyboard Navigation script and similar in favor of simply filing a ticket in Meta Trac to get our favorite features actually built as bbPress plugins.
  • The Support Handbook will obviously need updates, and we won’t be able to make those immediately. We’ll do our best to get it done as quickly as possible.
  • Moderators have been re-assigned based on the criteria we discussed 2 weeks ago, but that is by no means a done deal. If you notice “Hey, where did my Moderator powers go?” please feel free to reach out.
  • For Moderators, there will be a spam queue, but the ability to approve/delete won’t be added until work starts on the niceties after a few days. For now, you will still be able to visit the thread itself to approve/delete directly.
  • For Moderators, the word “Bozo” has finally been replaced by “User Flagging/Moderation” and there will be a super-simple link right below each user’s Gravatar to flag them as necessary.
  • For Moderators, the ability to block users will be extended to Moderators as soon as possible. Until then, you’ll need to ping @macmanx or someone on the Meta Team to establish a block (on a positive note though, the new forums will launch with a major upgrade to our automated anti-spam systems).

Checkin with International Support Liaisons

  • The Russian support community has encountered the “hate” portion of our secret love/hate relationship with Tag Clouds.
  • The Italian support community has added a link to the modlook queue on their forums.

Attendance

@macmanx @clorith @jmdodd @cristianozanca @bcworkz @otto42 @lasacco @fierevere @sergeybiryukov @denisco @bdbrown @jdembowski @ipstenu @numeeja @dartiss @stevesterndatacom @tnash @jcastaneda @songdogtech @danhgilmore @diddledan @bethannon1 @hardeepasrani @zoonini @stephencottontail @kenshino @girlieworks @geoffreyshilling @kidsguide @abletec @samuelsidler @kmessinger attended.

Read the meeting transcript in the Slack archives. (A Slack account is required)

#weekly-chat

August 4th Support Team Meeting Summary

Attendance

@macmanx @kidsguide @fierevere @pixolin @otto42 @clorith @hardeepasrani @jmdodd @bcworkz @cristianozanca @zodiac1978 @ipstenu @vitormadeira @dartiss @stephencottontail @jcastaneda @numeeja @zoonini @girlieworks @songdogtech @kmessinger @tnash @bethannon1 @lukecavanagh @kenshino @parcodeisuoni @voldemortensen @jdembowski @abletec @wizzard_ @sergeybiryukov @stevesterndatacom @geoffreyshilling @pmfonseca @valeriosza attended.

Announcements

WordPress 4.6 RC 1

WordPress 4.6 RC 1 is here. This is the first Release Candidate, meaning that the developers are reasonably sure this could be the final release, so please make sure you’re testing. Less bugs in the final release = less threads in the forums.

Varying Vagrant Vagrants is a simple way to run local WordPress sites for testing, though there are others, and of course you could always just install the beta on a subdomain on your own hosting provider/VPS/dedicated/cloud/etc, and don’t forget about the Beta Tester plugin.

4.6 OMGWTFBBQ Draft

The 4.6 OMGWTFBBQ Draft is up and open to feedback in its comments section.

We’d especially appreciate suggestions for the “Not a Bug” section (these are items which are intentional changes, but may seem like a bug or glitch to users offhand, like Dashboard fonts being different).

A few “Not a Bug” items were added since last week: Texts from my theme/plugins have changed, The category and tags screens look strange, and I can’t link to malformed URLs.

Formal Rules Against Site Feedback Requests

Due to increased spam-like abuse, we have established a formal rule against threads posted simply to request feedback on a particular site.

A Pre-defined Reply has been added for this under “Site Feedback Request”.

HelpHub Update

HelpHub will be positioning itself as the front of WordPress support, existing right at /support with articles at /support/articles and forums at /support/forums.

Basically, users will search for their problem/question in HelpHub first, see a list of relevant articles and/or support threads, and have the option to open their own thread if none of the results help.

As it stands now, HelpHub plans to have: really good search that autocompletes, article recommendations based on personas, contributor credits on articles, proper upvoting/feedback to improve the articles, and much more.

You can follow the development of HelpHub at Make/Docs.

Eventually, HelpHub will be officially retitled to SupportHub as a way to better integrate the focus of the two teams.

Checkin with International Support Liaisons

  • The Portuguese, Russian, and German support communities are loving their new forums and reporting glitches as encountered.
  • The Brazilian support community is holding weekly meetings on their own Slack instance, have begun to use the modlook tag, have received their first Support Team and Support Contributor badges, and are looking forward to their move to the upgraded forums.
  • The Italian support community is doing well and have received more Support Contributor badges.

Read the meeting transcript in the Slack archives. (A Slack account is required)

#weekly-chat

July 14th Support Team Meeting Summary

Attendance

@macmanx @jdembowski @abletec @kenshino @clorith @jmdodd @fierevere @otto42 @bcworkz @erricgunawan @kidsguide @vitormadeira @sergeybiryukov @dartiss @numeeja @justingreerbbi @hardeepasrani @cristianozanca @geoffreyshilling @themeislesupport @songdogtech @stevesterndatacom @lukecavanagh @valeriosza @pmfonseca @rafaelfunchal @gugaalves attended.

Announcements

We’re trying a new format by putting announcements first. In this case, “announcements” are any announcements that either don’t need discussion or where discussion happens elsewhere.

  • The next WordPress Community Summit has been moved to WordCamp EU 2017. WordCamp EU 2017 will be in Paris, France from June 16 to 18. The Community Summit dates have not been set yet, but they will be either before or after WCEU.
  • If you’re looking to help more often in the Accessibility forum, or contribute to WordPress accessibility, or even just learn more about a11y in general, @abletec has released her educational materials for free.
  • Along with the move to bbPress 2, a forum redesign is on the horizon. The first research steps have been taken and feedback is requested at the linked post.
  • The Plugin Directory v3 is now in public beta! For more details, and to leave feedback, please see the linked post.
  • If you have been experiencing Slack crashes lately, it’s probably due to memory consumption from the size of WordPress Slack along with any other Slacks you may be logged into it. If you’re a Mac user, you’re in luck. @boogah has released Making WordPress which is basically a dedicated app for just WordPress Slack. Resource usage should be much lower, and if it still crashes, it won’t take your other Slacks with it.

WordPress 4.5.3

We have not identified any new negative trends introduced by 4.5.3.

WordPress 4.6 Beta 3

WordPress 4.6 Beta 3 is here. Please start testing it, as less bugs in the final release = less threads in the forums.

Varying Vagrant Vagrants is a simple way to run local WordPress sites for testing, though there are others, and of course you could always just install the beta on a subdomain on your own hosting provider/VPS/dedicated/cloud/etc.

4.6 OMGWTFBBQ Draft

The 4.6 OMGWTFBBQ Draft is up and open to feedback in its comments section.

Shiny Updates was suggested as a candidate for the Not a Bug section, but was left out for now as it’s a much more intentional and obvious improvement/change than Font Natively.

WCNYC Contributor Day

@jdembowski will be supervising the support contributors at WordCamp NYC 2016’s contributor day and asked for suggestions/requests for the support contributors there, beyond the traditional “answer in no-replies” suggestions.

Suggestions were given to offer feedback on the Support Handbook while using it to do support, to help out with triaging bugs in the Alpha/Beta forums, and to contribute feedback to the redesign research.

Not-English Support Communities in the Meeting

Everyone is welcome to attend and participate in the weekly Support Team Meeting, that especially includes members of the not-English support communities. Given how attendance usually works out, it may appear that we focus exclusively on English support, but if you have something that needs to be addressed in your support community, please do bring it to the meeting.

Responsible Moderation

Please remember that we do have the power to delete individual replies, not just entire threads. If anything in a thread is salvageable or otherwise of value to the community in general, please strongly consider only removing the offending replies, rather than the entire thread.

Read the meeting transcript in the Slack archives. (A Slack account is required)

#weekly-chat

June 30th Support Team Meeting Summary

Attendance

@macmanx @voldemortensen @hardeepasrani @bdbrown @kidsguide @justingreerbbi @bethannon1 @jcastaneda @geoffreyshilling @numeeja @dartiss @cristianozanca @francescodicandia @lasacco @clorith @bcworkz @jmdodd @pross @gmosso @vitormadeira @kenshino @kmessinger @abletec @otto42 @ipstenu @anevins attended.

WordPress 4.5.3

We have not identified any new negative trends introduced by 4.5.3.

WordPress 4.6 Beta 1

WordPress 4.6 Beta 1 is here. Please start testing it, as less bugs in the final release = less threads in the forums.

Varying Vagrant Vagrants is a simple way to run local WordPress sites for testing, though there are others, and of course you could always just install the beta on a subdomain on your own hosting provider/VPS/dedicated/cloud/etc.

Theme Directory Uploader Offline

Just in case anybody asks why their theme update or upload didn’t work today, the theme-directory uploader has been temporarily disabled due to an error that was caused by something in the last 48 hours. The Meta Team knows about the problem and are looking into it.

Switching from P2 to O2/P2 Breathe

Like Make/Meta, this P2 will be eventually switched to O2/P2 Breathe. To briefly describe what this is, P2 was a very old theme, so P2 Breathe is a new theme re-built from scratch, and all of the P2 functionality you know and love now lives in the O2 plugin also re-built from scratch.

You shouldn’t notice anything different on the surface besides the new look and speed enhancements, but everything behind the scenes has been modernized, optimized, and overall improved.

HelpHub

HelpHub needs your help! For those not in the know, HelpHub will eventually replace the Codex with a far more streamlined user documentation experience.

If you are interested in helping out please contact @justingreerbbi or @kenshino, or head over to the #docs channel in Slack. Development of the project is still underway on GitHub. Development positions are pretty much covered, but there is nothing stopping anyone that wants to help in that department from saying so. Anyone willing to help will be allowed to help.

They are in need of some more volunteers to help migrate (and improve) articles from the Codex to the current temporary HelpHub site. Currently, they are concentrating on this list of articles. Please keep in mind that one of HelpHub’s goals is to make user documentation for WordPress less bewildering by dramatically decreasing the amount of available articles (currently in the thousands on the Codex). If an article is a better fit for DevHub, it shouldn’t be in HelpHub. (You will need an account on the temporary HelpHub site for this, so please contact @justingreerbbi or @kenshino, or head over to the #docs channel in Slack.)

Please see Getting Started with Helphub for more info.

Read the meeting transcript in the Slack archives. (A Slack account is required)

#weekly-chat

May 19 Support Meeting Summary

Attendance

@clorith @otto42 @jcastaneda @voldemortensen @stevesterndatacom @abletec @zoonini @ipstenu @geoffreyshilling @matt @pixolin @cristiano.zanca @kmessinger @songdogtech @sergey @jmdodd @dartiss @guido @cubecolour @girlieworks @francescodicandia @lasacco @dimitrisb @Kenshino  joined us for the meeting today.

WordPress 4.5.2

No new issues found with 4.5.2, we should all possibly help and look forward to 4.5.3 in maybe 2-3 weeks time.

For people who are unhappy with the new changes and insist that ‘WordPress should test them more’, do invite them to be beta testers.

Image Embeds

Image embeds on the forums work for imgur, and more choices will be available automatically via bbPress 2.x upgrade.

Forum Upgrades

There is now a timeline for the forum upgrade. See the meta post for more info. They need people to volunteer their bbPress 1.x forums for testing. The Russian and Japanese Rosetta forums were interested. Eventually that experience will culminate into upgrading the W.org main forums.

IRC

Nothing new from the IRC front as reported by @stevesterndatacom.

Do we allow hosting support, review and related threads in the forums?

After a long discussion, Matt enlightened us on the purpose of the host related tags on the hosting recommendation page – that hosts should reply to the topics and work with the community to keep providing great hosting services. Hosts that ignore such topics or don’t follow up well will be removed from the hosting page.

Consequently, moderators should tag topics related to the hosts with the appropriate host tags that can be found on the recommendation page and move them to the Misc forum to allow hosts to have a good chance to help the community member.

We will work on a good pre-defined reply for when posts go wrong.

The forums could possibly become an independent place where host can help customers and also be held accountable. We will continue to iterate on working this in better.

Be thorough when removing spam posts

Moderators who are clearing automated spam should check the user’s history to see if there are other threads that they are spamming. Block and make sure to clear out all spam posts. Do also remember to block spammers, do not set the account status to inactive.

Theme Handbook on DevHub

@Kenshino is looking for volunteers to help out with the Theme Handbook, it could become a great resource to link to on the Support Forums. Drop him a direct message on Slack if you would like to help.

Welcome Italy to the Support Team

@cristianozanca recently joined the team as Support Liaison from the Italian Rosetta forums. Let’s welcome him!

Read the meeting transcript in the Slack archives. (A Slack account is required)

#weekly-chat

Agenda for May 19 Support Team Meeting

I’m gonna do an experiment and will be tagging others to help with formulating a more meaningful agenda

* WordPress 4.5.2, how’s it looking so far? – @hideokamoto @sergeybiryukov @pmfonseca @zodiac1978 @imazed @cristianozanca – Support Liaisons, would you like to share your experience from the rosetta forums?
* Image embeds on forums – @otto42
* IRC Updates – @stevesterndatacom
* Do we allow hosting threads in Forums related to the hosting page
* AOB – @clorith @jcastaneda @justingreerbbi @ipstenu @jdembowski @kmessinger @kidsguide @hardeepasrani @visserlabs @zooini @geoffreyshilling @bethannon1 @gagan0123 @tnash @alchymyth @lindsaybsc @fristopher @pixolin @edegaru @esmi @anevins @keesiemeijer @songdogtech @daviduzelac @catacaustic @adeline @stephencottontail @bcworkz @rossmitchell @numeeja @abletec – Anything you guys want to raise up?

There is also an open invitation to anyone who wants to raise up a Support, Forum or IRC issue, whether or not you’re a team member 🙂 Join us!