Following my discussion earlier this week with Jen and to clarify what was mentioned in her post, I’ve been thinking of ideas for what a “Troubleshooting WordPress Workshop” could look like.
Two years ago at WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Toronto, Kathryn Presner led a 3 hour workshop and gave beginners a primer about WordPress walking them through the dashboard, etc… Myself and Ruth Maude were on hand to help people with questions.
Perhaps 3 hours is too long for a troubleshooting workshop, but having a longer session would be useful for folks to ask question, play with code, etc…
A very rough outline of what could be covered would be:
- Installation Issues ( localhost and self hosting )
- I can’t find/reset my password what do I do?
- Overview of FTP FTP is an acronym for File Transfer Protocol which is a way of moving computer files from one computer to another via the Internet. You can use software, known as a FTP client, to upload files to a server for a WordPress website. https://codex.wordpress.org/FTP_Clients. and phpMyAdmin – why these are great troubleshooting tools
- Ack! White screen of death
- Theme/Plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party errors
- Incompatibility with themes/plugin
- Media Images are not showing up, how can I fix this?
- I’ve upgraded my site and now it’s borked
- My site is slow
- I’m making changes and nothing happens
- I change the site url and now I can login to my admin
- Help me change the width/colour/font???? How do I do this?
These are just off the top of my head right now. Before doing anything, I would want to go through the troubleshooting info on the codex, but having been on the forums for a while, I’ve answered a combination of these questions, once or twice. 😛
I would also like to give the participants the opportunity to submit their specific issues before they come. Hopefully once they’ve been through this, they would be more comfortable coming to the forum and offering help.
Let me know if you have any suggestions, comments.