Discussion: Using translation tools with GlotPress?
In our weekly chat meeting today, we´ve discussed over a feature request, to implement Google Translator into GlotPress. A feature, that was build in in the past, but was removed after another discussion. (s. here)
Sidenote: Some very ambitious validators were misusing it to get their language at 100% Since API keys are needed and if those aren’t passed it will not be displayed and not because of misusing it.
Upcoming concerns from chat
- Is it useful, to let the locale editor decide, if translation tools are in use
- it would maybe useful to get a first raw translations for new locale, but for using it needs proofreading
- a validator for a locale should be a good native speaker, so doesn´t need a Google Translator
- If a validator decides to misuse the tool, there’s a very little chance anyone will be able to notice unless a user speaks up.
- Keep in mind that the Google Translate API is a paid service
- Maybe part of solution, or just making easier for translators is to list on local site links to online tools for translating and checking spell
- What are your best practices as translator / validator?
- Do you use any translation tools for raw translations?