Team Structure #
The Polyglots team is organized into translation teams focused on specific languages. Each team has three roles: General Translation Editors (responsible for all projects in a locale), Project Translation Editors (Responsible for one or more projects in a locale), Translation Contributors (who can suggest but not approve strings). Meanwhile, the Polyglots team leads oversee translations teams, ensuring they meet expectations, and coordinate with the core team on day-to-day changes.
The following roles exist in the Polyglots team:
General Translation Editor (often referred to as GTE) is a person, who has global access to validate strings on all projects for a specific locale. General Translation Editors are appointed by other General Translation Editors for the same locale. If there are no active General Translation Editors for the locale, a general translation editor can be appointed by a Polyglots lead after a request on make.wordpress.org/polyglots.
- Project Translation Editor is a person, who has access to validate strings on a specific projects (for example BuddyPress, WooCommerce or Twenty Fourteen) for one specific locale. A project translation editor can approve strings that are added by translation contributors. Project translation editors are appointed by a general translation editor after arequest by the project author or by the contributors themselves.
- Translation Contributors (also contributors, translators) are the volunteers that translate projects into their language. Translation contributors can suggest translations that need to be verified by a General Translation Editor or a Project Translation Editor
- Leads: Polyglot team leads are responsible for overseeing the activities of all translations and setting the direction of the polyglots team. They work closely with the leads of other teams and are responsible for notifying GTEs and PTEs about new strings, release dates and any information coming from the other teams that has to be communicated to the Polyglots team.
Current Translation teams #
The translation teams are currently active and producing WordPress in their locale. Some have not yet shipped WordPress in their language, but are working hard.
On the Translation teams page, click on “Details” on the last column to see a list of the current translation editors and all the translation contributors that have ever worked on that locale.
- To alert an existing general translation editor on the Polyglots P2, mention their username in a post adding an @ in front of it.
- Some GTEs and PTEs are also on the Polyglots Slack channel (that’s visible under their profile on each team’s page). You can try and reach them there as well.
If you’re interested in contributing to one of the translations, visit the Get Involved page and learn how.