This guide is intended to help you get started contributing to the mobile team at a contributor dayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/.. Below is an outline of what the mobile team does and how to quickly get started. If you need any help, talk to your contributor day organizer, or ask your question in the #mobile channel on Slack.
This is a work in progress so don’t be afraid to amend the document or leave comments, particularly if you’re at a contributor day and find that we’ve missed something.
The responsibilities of the mobile group are:
- Design, develop, and maintain the WordPress Android and iOSiOS The operating system used on iPhones and iPads. apps.
- Design, develop and maintain the open sourceOpen Source Open Source denotes software for which the original source code is made freely available and may be redistributed and modified. Open Source **must be** delivered via a licensing model, see GPL. libraries used in the apps, all of them are listed on our GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ account: https://github.com/wordpress-mobile/.
- Triage open issues and prioritize their resolution.
- Assist in the evolution of coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. data APIs.
- Fortnightly release new versions of the apps.
Here are some of the tasks the team performs and would like help on:
- Sketch and wireframe ideas for new features.
- Design features and user flows.
- Plan and add new features.
- Fix bugs.
- Test new releases.
Prior knowledge you’ll find helpful for working with the mobile team is:
- Knowledge of the Git version control system for use with GitHub.
- Familiarity with WordPress’ mobile style guidelines.
- General understanding of the flow and style of mobile applications.
- Version control system: git.
- Local development environment: Android Studio and Xcode, node and npm.
If you want to contribute to WordPress for Android or WordPress for iOS, the projects READMEs are a good start. Everything from getting the code to building your own version is described there:
Main mobile libraries we’re maintaining:
- Aztec, a rich text component to edit HTMLHTML HTML is an acronym for Hyper Text Markup Language. It is a markup language that is used in the development of web pages and websites. content. Aztec for Android and Aztec for iOS.
- MediaPicker for iOS, an iOS controller that allows capture and picking of media assets.
We also have Design contribution guidelines.
Once you picked the project you want to contribute to, start by looking at tickets labelled “good first issue” on GitHub. Example: Good First Issue for WordPress Android, Good First Issue for WordPress iOS, Good First Issue for Gutenberg Mobile.