WordPress for iOSiOS The operating system used on iPhones and iPads. version 12.3 betaBeta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. is available for testing on TestFlight.
Not part of the beta program yet? Please sign up for our TestFlight program (open the link on your iPhone or iPad) to join as a beta tester.
- Love apps like iA Writer, 1Writer, Bear, and Ulysses? Move from app to WordPress draft fast — the app now imports images from TextBundle and TextPack files and supports importing Markdown files, too.
- Notifications for internet connectivity problems no longer eat up your entire device screen. Now there’s a small popup instead, so you can keep using offline abilities (like deleting posts, which now happens more reliably if you’re offline).
- Some text in Activity Log would sometimes show up in a wrong language. Not useful! And now fixed.
- Also not useful: crashes. Crashes that sometimes occurred during site creation or when loading stats are resolved.
- Jetpack Remote Install is supported, so you can install and activate Jetpack on a self-hosted site right from the app.
- Stats are more accessible — if you use voiceover in the app, it’ll read your stats to you.
- Sharing extension build settings had to be rebuilt for the Xcode 10.2 transition so we should test sharing from the app out to other places.
What to Test
These are some more granular testing steps based on the pull requests that correspond with the release notes. Please pick any that you are interested in!
- Update writing apps such as Bear or Ulysses to export using TextBundle or Text Pack.
- Share content with images from the writing app to the WordPress app. (11500)
- Share markdown content from the writing app to the WordPress app. (11500)
- Be offline and delete a post from the post list. Small offline notice should appear. (11481)
- Be offline and go to Sharing. Small offline notice should appear.(11452)
- Be offline and go to Sharing > Manage then leave. No alert should be shown if no changes were made. (11312)
- Be offline and go to Themes. Make sure labels are not being displayed if the “no results view” is presented. (11464)
- Be offline and go to “View Site.” See snack bar if OS 11.0+. (11441)
- Change device language to non-English, go to Activity Log, verify text is localized. (11479)
- Go to My Sites > + and complete the site creation steps to try to trigger a crash.
- Browse through stats to try to trigger a crash.
- Add a self-hosted site with no Jetpack installed, go to Stats, tap “Install Jetpack” and complete the steps. (11501)
- Turn on VoiceOver, go to Stats, chart bars date and value should be read out. (11478)
Go to Stats for individual posts—tap the post title to open a webview. ( 11499 )← removing this because it’s behind a feature flag and should not have been added yet, sorry about that!
Find all other changes/fixes in the related PRs targeting 12.3.
Bugs & Feedback
Did you find a bug or come up with a feature request while testing? You can discuss it here, pingPing The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” one of us in the #mobile room on WordPress.org Slack, report it using the TestFlight feedback link, or head straight to the iOS GitHub repository and open a new issue.
Thanks for testing!