WordPress for iOSiOS The operating system used on iPhones and iPads. version 12.1 betaBeta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. is available for testing on TestFlight.
Not part of the beta program yet? Please sign up for our TestFlight program (open the link on your iPhone or iPad) to join as a beta tester.
What to Test
- Improved text import from other apps, such as Bear or Ulysses. 🥰
- To test in Bear, open a note in the Bear app, tap the “i” information button in the top right, and export the note; then, share it to WordPress.
- To test in Ulysses, select the text you want to share and use the contextual toolbar to share it to WordPress.
- Confirm that the text appears in the post without a blockquote, and HTMLHTML HTML is an acronym for Hyper Text Markup Language. It is a markup language that is used in the development of web pages and websites. has escaped HTML entities. See the PR for additional details about other text editors and behavior. (PR #11288)
- BlockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. editor now supports the creation of posts with pre-inserted photos and the 3D Touch action of starting a post with photo. (PR #11317)
- Test 1: Enable the block editor in the app. Then, go to the Media Library, upload one or more images, and when the uploads finish select “Write Post” on the upload notification. Confirm that the images are preloaded in the new post.
- Test 2: On the device home screen, force touch the WordPress app icon and select New Photo Post. Confirm the block editor opens with the media picker visible. Select the media you want and confirm it is uploaded and added to the post correctly.
- Classic Editor: Added support on the editor for video elements that use the source elements. (PR #11296) For example:
<video alt="Another video with bunnies"> <source src="https://videos.files.wordpress.com/kUJmAcSf/bbb_sunflower_1080p_30fps_normal.mp4" type="video/mp4"> </video>
- Improved messages when updates to WordPress.comWordPress.com An online implementation of WordPress code that lets you immediately access a new WordPress environment to publish your content. WordPress.com is a private company owned by Automattic that hosts the largest multisite in the world. This is arguably the best place to start blogging if you have never touched WordPress before. https://wordpress.com/ user account details fail because of server logic. To test, go to Me > Account Settings and try to make a change that you know will fail, e.g. update the account email to an email address already used on another account. Confirm that the error message matches the expected failure. (PR #11229)
- Find all other changes/fixes in the related PRs targeting 12.1.
Bugs & Feedback
Did you find a bug or come up with a feature request while testing? You can discuss it here, pingPing The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” one of us in the #mobile WordPress.org Slack room, report it using the TestFlight feedback link, or head straight to the iOS GitHub repository and open a new issue.
Thanks for testing!