WordPress for iOSiOS The operating system used on iPhones and iPads. version 9.7 betaBeta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. is available for testing on TestFlight. Not part of the beta program yet? Please sign up for our TestFlight program to join as a beta tester.
What to Test:
1. New Features
- List of Posts, AccessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility): The list of post now handles Dynamic Type fonts better.
- List of Posts: New post status and author filterFilter Filters are one of the two types of Hooks https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Hooks. They provide a way for functions to modify data of other functions. They are the counterpart to Actions. Unlike Actions, filters are meant to work in an isolated manner, and should never have side effects such as affecting global variables and output. bar!
- List of Posts, Accessibility: The new post status and author filter bar offers Voiceover support.
- Login, Accessibility: The login flow now handles Dynamic Type better.
- Menus, Accessibility: The Menu section of your sites now supports Dynamic Type.
- My Profile: You now have a more explicit option for editing your GravatarGravatar Is an acronym for Globally Recognized Avatar. It is the avatar system managed by WordPress.com, and used within the WordPress software. https://gravatar.com/. icon.
- Spotlight: Now indexes posts and pages!
2. Several Bug Fixes
- Share extension: Your primary site can no longer be hidden when sharing content to WPiOS.
- The app will now use a fixed font size for navigation and search bars.
- Fixed a crash with the email verification checks.
There were a lot of other improvements made in this release that aren’t being called out in this post. For the main WordPress iOS application you can view the entire list here.
Bugs & Feedback
Did you find a bug or come up with a feature request while testing? You can discuss it here, pingPing The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” one of us in the #mobile WordPress.org Slack room, report it using the TestFlight feedback link, or head straight to the iOS GitHub repository and open a new issue.
Thanks for testing!