During this week’s dev chat we had a lot to talk about, especially with regards to WPiOS. Here’s a summary:
WPiOS 3.1 Lessons Learned
- Overall we thought the launch went quite well for such a large update.
- We discussed how good it would have been to have an external betaBeta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. team so that we could have caught some of the issues before launch. But, it turns out that it’s against Apple’s TOS to distribute the app to anyone outside of your organization so it looks like we can’t really do betas that way. One idea we had was to post clear instructions on how to set up Xcode to build and run the app in the simulator. That way if people are interested they can at least try out new versions of the app that way. It’s not ideal at all, but it is legal 🙂
WPiOS 3.1.1 and on to 3.1.2
- We were pleased that the 3.1.1 update made it through testing so quickly. The update fixed a lot of issues including the stats access problem for most users. The post format crash is totally gone as well, which was one of the major crash reports.
- We’re aiming to have 3.1.2 wrapped up and submitted by the weekend. There’s actually not too many tickets at the moment so we should be able to make it.
- We’re hoping to get started on this next week, if WPiOS 3.1.2 launches and is stable.
- I am going to take a look at the roadmap and prioritize the tickets to get rid of the clutter in tracTrac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/.. Will also add a release summary.
- @irbrad has already done some great work with the visual editor and is ready to commit the first rev of it as soon as 3.1.2 is finalized.
- @beaucollins and @daniloercoli are the leads for the notifications area.
- @koke is going to work on changing the settings to be within the app
- Launched 2.1.5 update to Google Play this morning
- We have a new contributor helping out with tickets. I’m assisting as needed there.
- Last week I put @daniloercoli in touch with some RIM contacts I wrangled up, hopefully they can help with the uploading issue we’ve been experiencing for some months now.