At our weekly chat today, we talked about a few things:
- Forums: The Italian forums were launched! It’s a bit rough around the edges, so there’s a bunch of work still left to do. If anyone is interested in contributing to our bbPress theme just let us know. The more help we can get, the faster we can get the forum theme in shape to launch it to other locales. (Big props to @ocean90 and @medariox!)
- Translate: Tons of things going on and upcoming here.
- Themes are being imported. Currently ~1100 out of a total of ~1900 themes. The rest should be imported by next week’s meeting.
- As part of the import, we’re noticing that quite a few themes have a textdomain that is different than the theme’s slug. Language packs will not support that. Instead, we’ll contact theme authors and work with the theme review team to ensure this won’t happen again. (Also, @Otto42 is adding modifying theme-check so that it checks for this issue.) Some stats on that were shared in Slack, but note that they’re for all themes, not just active themes. The actual numbers will be different.
- Meanwhile, we need to start considering how to sort and prioritize themes and plugins. This post has some ideas and the comments section is open for more. We should have a list to start on by next week’s meeting. There are some backend changes that @dd32 needs to work up first.
- One method of prioritizing is favorites. @dd32 is working up changes to the theme directory (and elsewhere) so themes can be favorited. ❤️ We can use theme and plugin favorites to prioritize projects (per-user) on translate.wordpress.org.
- @ocean90 is also testing plugin imports with a few select plugins to ensure the import script works well.
- Additionally, the language pack script currently exists for plugins and will be modified for themes (thanks @ocean90!).
Most of our focus right now is on language packs and theme/plugin translations. Summarized, here’s the next steps:
- Finish theme import
- Enable theme directory syncing (every new/updated theme gets imported)
- Implement some prioritization (including a side project: adding favorites to themes)
- Modify the theme directory to support translated theme names/descriptions
- Enable language packs for themes
- Start importing top n plugins
- Enable language packs for top n plugins
Of course, some of these will happen in parallel with others and there are numerous parts to each line item, but we’re making great progress. By next week, we’ll probably be able to cross off an item or two. 👏