In June, Matt shared the following:
There are a number of independent organizations that aren’t “official” WordPress things but still exist to support WP’s mission of democratizing publishing, like WPCC, and I’ve heard of things around accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility), inclusion, enterprise, etc. What’s a good place we can link to all of these and say they’re not official but still a good place to get involved if that’s a better fit for someone’s interests.
🌟 Forming a Collaborative Working Group for Community Inclusion 🌟
To address the task of creating and maintaining the dedicated page for independent organizations on WordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/, let’s simplify the roles and responsibilities to ensure an effective and manageable working group. This group will bring together dedicated individuals passionate about fostering inclusion and diversity within the community.
🙌 Working Group Name: Organizations Supporting WordPress
🗓️ Meeting Schedule:
- Frequency: Bi-weekly meetings for consistent progress. These can be async in the #meta channel.
- Day and Time: To be determined based on interested group members. This working group will commence meetings in September and aim to move into maintenance mode by November, pending meetings.
🌐 Roles and Responsibilities:
- Coordinator: Oversee the initiative, set agendas, and manage communication channels.
- Team Members: various teams may be impacted. Aligning with Design, Polyglots, and Marketing teams seems wise here. Others as well may be interested.
- Content Creators: Draft and update content for the dedicated page.
- Reviewers: Ensure accuracy and adherence to guidelines before publication.
- Metrics and Evaluation: Develop a simple framework to assess organization alignment and impact.
- Communications Lead: Manage community engagement, updates, and announcements.
📋 Application Form:
Comment below expressing your interest in:
- Role Preference (Select one or more): Coordinator, Content Creator, Reviewer, Metrics and Evaluation, Communications Lead
- Relevant Experience:
- Why are you interested in joining this working group?:
- Availability for Bi-weekly Meetings (Days and Times you’re generally available):
🌈 Guiding Principles:
- Inclusivity: Welcome diverse perspectives and experiences to ensure a well-rounded team.
- Collaboration: Thrive on openness, mutual respect, and shared decision-making.
- Transparency: Share decisions, discussions, and updates openly within the group.
- Adaptability: Be open to learning and adapting for the best outcomes.
🌟 Joining Forces for Inclusion and Diversity 🌟
By forming this simplified working group, we’re creating a hub that showcases organizations aligned with the WordPress mission. This dedicated page will inspire contributors and celebrate the diverse community that enriches our open-source world.