After a four week hiatus (!) we had our weekly i18n chat today. We’ll be continuing these chats every week on Tuesday 11:00 UTC 2015, just like before.
This week, we discussed the following:
- Forums: While the bbPress Free, open source software built on top of WordPress for easily creating forums on sites. https://bbpress.org. 2 forums aren’t quite ready yet (literally no plugin has been ported to bbPress 2 yet), we’re going to move ahead anyway. @ocean90 is going to work on setting up forums for the Italians within the next week, but is running into permissions issues with bbPress.
- Translate: @ocean90 implemented most of the @isaackeyet‘s design for translate.wordpress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/. With the new designs, there’s only a handful of technical things left before we can start adding additional plugins or themes:
- Finish design implementation: The big piece that’s left is adding the sub-project drop down in the top right box, which is needed to allow switching between sub-projects. Additionally, a green outline needs to be around the box if a project is at 100%, but this isn’t blocking anything.
- Paging. Without paging, the list of plugins will grow unwieldy. @dd32 is going to work on paging (which needs to be done here).
- Roles Plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party Changes: The roles plugin won’t scale if we add hundreds (thousands!) of new projects. We need a UI UI is an acronym for User Interface - the layout of the page the user interacts with. Think ‘how are they doing that’ and less about what they are doing. here – designers wanted! See #1101.
- Search: Not needed for an initial import of the top n plugins, but required for when we add all plugins. We’re putting this on hold for now as paging will suit our needs for the foreseeable future.
Beyond the technical list above, we need to talk about how plugins will be imported. Let’s chat this Friday July 10 13:00 UTC 2015 about importing plugins into translate.wordpress.org. If you’re interested in this topic, join us in #meta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress.-i18n.
(As a reminder, all WordPress community meetings are listed on the meeting calendar.)