Thanks to the success of our social media efforts in 2022, one of the most requested tasks for our team has been “Can you amplify this?”
These requests typically fall under one of our active campaigns listed in GitHub, and as part of our 2023 efforts, we’d like to streamline these requests by providing a GitHub issue template. This template will guide requesters through the process of providing us with all the relevant information, and ideally content, for posting to our various social channels and possibly beyond (Ie. eMail newsletters, WordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ posts, etc.).
I would like to call on everyone to help aggregate a list of potential fields and resources for this template. My initial thoughts for these fields are as follows:
- Issue title: The primary title field for which we are able to recommend a predefined format. Something like “[AMPLIFY] Title” might be useful for readily identifying these issues for triage.
- Label: The template allows for automatically applying labels, so the creation of a new label may make sense.
- Link to share: This would be the URL A specific web address of a website or web page on the Internet, such as a website’s URL www.wordpress.org, if applicable, that requesters would like to share. We will need to provide some guidance around links we will and will not share.
- Suggested hashtag/campaign: This would be a dropdown of active campaigns and either short descriptions or links to descriptions.
- Suggested content: Here would be where requesters could recommend content, and is the perfect place to share @laurlittle‘s brand writing guide.
- Linked resources: These would be images and/or videos for sharing. In the case of video, we will likely need to provide upload instructions.
- Suggested platforms: A dropdown of possible platforms for sharing: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, YouTube, Pinterest, Tiktok, Tumblr
- Requested share date: It’d be good to ask when the requester would like to share information, in the case that it aligns with some event. We should also remind folks that we expect requests to come in at least a week ahead.
- Notes: Freeform notes area.
I’ll note that this template would not be the place to propose new campaigns or strategies. Those should probably still be submitted as new GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ cards (example TikTok conversation) and discussed in Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. This would solely be a way for our frequent Marketing Team collaborators to easily submit their requests and would replace the current process (review campaign list, reach out to point of contact, discuss the request, etc.) It should also make things a bit easier for campaign points of contact to manage incoming requests.
Before embarking on building the first version of this, I’d like to gather feedback. What else should we be asking for? What resources should we share through this template? Do you have any other ideas to streamline this process?