These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
Attendees Slack Thread
A big thanks to @lmurillom, @meher and, @webcommsat for contributing to drafting last week’s meeting notes. Note: Please review and add comments in suggestion mode – link in the Slack. These notes will be updated as appropriate.
A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed too. We rely on this to update the final notes and to put into our charts to show where we need extra contributors, and how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned / requested from other teams.
Rota for drafting notes:
➤ How can I help?
You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed. We are super excited that we continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!
Welcoming new contributors
New Attendees Welcome Thread
Marketing Contributor introductory sessions in 2021 – booking details
Get involved – starter tasks for new and returning contributors, and those who have pledged to support the team and need assistance to get started
Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration
The team is continuing to support a number of initiatives and tasks. Lots to celebrate including work on:
- First induction session conducted by @maedahbatool and @yvettesonneveld. The second induction session will be held on February 2nd, 2021. More details and sign up form for the induction session can be found in this post.
- All hard work done for the onboarding videos. Well done to everyone who has been involved, but particularly @OGlekler, @marks99, @meher, @nalininonstopnewsuk. Check out the YouTube playlist for all onboarding videos.
- All work being done on Meetups promotions
- Learn WordPress – lots of work going on behind the scenes on marcomms for this. We still need help with video and photographs. If you can help, please reply in this thread.
Follow and share our weekly highlight of WordPress Meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. events and news on the Marketing team LinkedIn Page. Keep up with the #WPDiversity and #LearnWP announcements on the WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. and WordPress Events Twitter and Facebook accounts.
Contributor Support Sessions
Update from the task group by: @maedahbatool
- @yvettesonneveld and @maedahbatool hosted the first onboarding session of the “Contributing Made Fun & Easy” series on Tuesday 19 January 2021.
- It was a fun and interactive session, where new contributors got help getting started with editing their WordPress profiles and learning some interesting facts about the WordPress project.
- There are still more contributor support sessions for early 2021 – open to those returning to the team and wanting a refresher and to those who have pledged to contribute under Five for the Future.
- If you are a (relatively) new contributor and would like to learn more about the WordPress project, the tasks our team works on, the tools we use and get some tips on how to make contributing fun and easy, join us for our contributor introduction sessions.
There are 3 more biweekly sessions planned.
After first inducting meeting – these dates have been changed in response to feedback
You will find more info in this post, and the sign up form.
Online WordPress Meetups
Update from the task groups by: @lmurillom
- We are working on wider circulation of these on official channels and to tie in with the work we are doing on Learn WordPress.
- You can share our weekly highlight of WordPress Meetup events and news on the Marketing Team LinkedIn Page. If you haven’t already, please follow it.
- Please like and share this week’s #OnlineWPMeetup post on LinkedIn.
- If you have experience writing copy for social (especially Twitter), please reply in this thread!
- If you can help out consistently (weekly) gathering information from upcoming Meetups, summarising them and putting it in a spreadsheet, this would be a great help.
- Please follow the @wordpressevents Twitter account, online meetups are also being promoted through that channel.
- Keep up with the #WPDiversity and #LearnWP announcements on the WordCamp Twitter and Facebook accounts.
Contributor onboarding guides updates
Update via co-ordinating team member: @oglekler
- Hindi onboarding video: currently merging the audio and video, @yashwardhanrana will update on status by 23 January 2021.
- Greek onboarding video: @herculespekkas, could you please provide a status update on this?
- French onboarding video: the contributor who is no longer able to work on these due to the current pandemic. Do we have anyone else who can do this?
- We have new onboarding videos in the playlist on the WordPress Marketing Team channel on YouTube. Thanks to all who have helped create on-boarding videos in different languages.
- If you don’t see your language in this playlist, contact @oglekler to find out how to get started contributing in your own language.
Collaborations and Planning
Updating Contributor Onboarding Guides
Task: We are creating content and collating resources that will help setting up a GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ account and working with it, especially for non-developers and beginners.
This is being facilitated by: @webcommsat and a task group
Collaboration Slack Thread
- We looked for answers to the question: what kind of information would you like to have in a GitHub guide to help you use it?
- We included suggestions from people who have never used GitHub, which helps adapt our training.
Forthcoming Diary Dates
If you need accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
All the upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post.
Change in global meeting times
Following feedback and surveys, we are changing the Global Marketing meeting time to accommodate as many people as possible.
- 6 January 2021 to 24 March 2021 inclusive, 15:00 UTC
- 31 March 2021 until 31st October 2021 inclusive, 14:00 UTC
- 3 November 2021 until Daylight Saving Time change in Europe, 15:00 UTC
Next Marketing meeting
Wednesday 27 January 2021, 15:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.
➤ How to get started?
If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.