If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.
Link to the start of the meeting on the Marketing Slack to help with an async contribution.
1. Welcome, introduction
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- Attendees Slack Thread
- New people and returners to the channel
3. Meeting Notes
A. Last week notes
A reminder to those who have notes pending to please finish them up as soon as possible and let @lmurillom or @meher know in the main #marketing channel when they’re done. We are updating the P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. with notes that have had links that need updating or ones that need copying over from the google doc, including some older items left in the google doc due to Covid-issues. Thanks to everyone for stepping in to help with this.
A reminder to check the draft notes (link can be found in this slack thread) is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed to help the team include everyone.
We rely on this to update the final notes and to show where we need extra contributors and how we are having an impact on the work requested from other teams.
Rota for drafting notes:
B. Notes group recruitment
- Would you like to help source the weekly agenda links and information from other teams – these are the links that have potential promotion opportunities or which we have been asked to assist with?
- Sessions on how to use this and to help those writing the how to material/ wiki are being planned.
- Next practical session will be GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/: we have had no date matches in people’s availability. We will run a poll instead for two dates and pick the one most people can do.
- This session is hoped to be focused on those new to using GitHub.
- You will need a GitHub account set up and available to use in the online video session.
- Please do start using our GitHub if you are comfortable with using the software Mapping tasks board
4. Updates relating to other Make Teams
For awareness and potential promotions. Many of these links will be useful for work on marcomms for 5.9
[Latest Update as of 24-11-2021]
Update from @lmurillom: We are working on the promos for the November 17 and 27 events! If you want to follow this task, take a look at this Github link. Please also follow the #WPDiversity hashtag on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook so you can engage with the posts.
- Month in WordPress, October 2021. Thanks to contributions from marketing.
- Meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. Organizer newsletter, November 2021 – @EidolonNight mentioned that the due / target date for any material submissions was 11 November 2021. The email was sent on 15 November 2021.
c) Design team
- Proposals for improvement of background editor (2 Nov 21). Comments invited.
- As the development of the Gutenberg editor progresses, new features are being considered in how they can be intuitive for users and support their workflows. If you use the Gutenberg editor regularly, please read this article and share your thoughts.
- Feedback invited on discussion: how to show and access new features in the block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. editor (Gutenberg). Read more on this link.
Action / Contributor opportunities:
Contributors needed to support WordPress Translation Day 2021 organizers editing and subtitling videos, working on interview write-ups, and photo editing.
e) Training Team, cross-working with Marketing and Learn.WordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/
- A sprint is taking place in the Training channel on the Make WordPress Slack on 10-12 November, 2021 to explore a dedicated volunteer program for the Training team, similar to the Deputy program in the Community Team – comments from the Marketing and Community collaboration have been shared on this post.
- This program is similar to Community Team’s deputies, but specific to the needs of LearnWordPress. Contributor opportunity
- Workshop/ lesson plan feedback/ queries sent to Training, awaiting final information for Marketing to prepare social media promotions. Contributor opportunities
5) Follow-ups/ discussions
- Team reps nominations promotions
Read more in this slack thread.
- Ongoing discussions/ follow-up to the contributor ladder workshop.
More details can be found in this slack thread.
6) Any other Marketing Team business
A) People of WordPress (POW)
Action / Contributor Opportunity:
- Please can you update the spreadsheet or the GitHub on any tasks you have or if you have got stuck.
- Contact @lmurillom and @webcommsat in the main #marketing channel on Slack
Update by @lmurillom:
- Thanks to everyone who shared social posts this and last week, including Meetups and #WPDiversity!
- You can find updates on GitHub in the Rolling Tasks and Mapping Tasks boards and on the Meetups and FSE repositories.
7) Diary dates
Update via: @OGlekler
Update as of 24-11-2021:
The Marketing Team Reps for the year 2022 Nominations post has been published. More information can be found at this link.
If anyone has any questions on team rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. nominations or wants some help with the contributing ladder follow-ups, do reach out to current team reps @webcommsat and @yvettesonneveld in the main #marketing slack channel.
Next Marketing Meeting
Wednesday 17 November, 14:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack.
Does your task need some time in the future agenda? Contact @meher and @webcommsat in the #marketing channel on Slack.
➤ How to get started?
We have a number of new contributors shadowing at the moment. So please do let us know if you would like some help.
If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool and @yvettesonneveld for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.