The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
Main things discussed
- WCEU Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. items
- This subgroup – continue? hibernate? merge?
Since all marketing subgroups are putting together lists for WCEU workgroups, this group attempted the same. We have a pretty long list of proposed projects (see past notes) and few things in progress so really there’s plenty of choice and opportunity for the contributor day group.
A few which stick out:
- Fleshing out and creating content for a proposed editorial plan (spreadsheet and related folder for doc drafts)
- Creating videos for end-users – suggested by @bethgsanders – identifying some top topics and starting outlines for those short videos
- Updating any Codex documents which have end-user features in them or are introductions for end-users.
- and many more ideas.
Another discussion we’d love to have in Slack / here in comments / at WCEU Contributor day as well (cc’d @gidgey in Slack):
- Prompted by the lack of consistent activity in this marketing subgroup specifically – this subgroup is the least-populated (though perhaps largest ‘constituency’ as end users) –@mcdwayne and I discussed whether or not this subgroup should hibernate / needs to be a standalone subgroup / rolled into one of the other, more active subgroups. We’ve had a lack of consistent attendance and contributions in the past few months compared to the other groups, and as I (Sara) will be out on leave for several months I won’t personally be able to stimulate the group myself in the monthly meetings.
Open to your thoughts and comments!
Recap of Goals/Scope: Marketing WordPress to End-Users: this subgroup focuses on marketing to end-users of WordPress: Site Owners, Small Business owners, and Content creators / bloggers / contributors. Information is more focused on the usability of the software, Features and integrations which will help them self-manage their websites, and information comparing WordPress to other website solution. (Read about the other marketing subgroups in The Four Horsemen of WordPress.org Marketing)