Marketing Team Notes — April 3rd, 2019

Today’s Meeting

Meeting Attended By: @siobhanseija, @immeet94, @fike, @makewebbetter, @harryjackson1221, @amandagorman, @reimark, @phil, @jonoalderson, @FahimMurshed, @yvettesonneveld, @maedahbatool, @ryanbickett

Notes Taken By: @michelleames

Slack Timestamp

New Person Thread

  • @fike: Hi! Nice to e-meet you all. I’m Fike from Indonesia, I’m working full time as a freelancer, but mostly working as Caldera Forms’ content manager. Already in the Trello board. Would love to take notes next week.

Celebration/Achievements in the Last Week

Task Lead Updates

  • @siobhanseija: This is actually @joostdevalk’s project but definitely worth mentioning: he got a sign off from #design for the new mobile page! Trac ticket: https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4096
  • @harryjackson1221: WordPress Showcase Redesign Organization and Requirements https://trello.com/c/SdIcVK6q/257-showcase-redesign-organization-and-requirements We have created the wireframe for the new form to be used for collecting info about possible showcase entries from the site. We also agreed upon a meeting time, which is 1500 UTC on Mondays (I think), or 10am EST. If you wish to be added, let us know and we can recreate the DM and share the macro goals.
  • The Showcase Trello Board https://trello.com/b/Ono8rTJK/case-studies-showcase.
  • We have been working on adding the case studies to this board. I wanted to talk with the rest of the team about reworking the previous case studies. Should they be moved to this board for the rework? That could be great work to be done during Contributor Days at upcoming camps.
  • @siobhanseija: Just checked the Trello board and I don’t think there is anything left that is urgent for now, especially as a lot of team members are busy preparing for WordCamp Torino and WordCamp London this weekend. And there may be other WordCamps taking place as well!

New Business

  • @siobhanseija: Well, I have an important PSA! As the clock has changed for part of the team, the meeting time changes after today! *We will meet an hour earlier than we did today.* For everyone unsure of the meeting time next week, check https://make.wordpress.org/marketing/ after today! It’ll show you the correct time in your own time zone.
  • @siobhanseija: Quite a few contributor days this week, so if you have any projects you could use some help on… ping me! I’m trying to work out what there is to work on, for both London and Torino and maybe others that want to work on marketing.
  • @siobhanseija: Also, if you’re attending a WordCamp contributor day in the near future and would like to work on marketing but don’t know how: let us know! We can help you find and/or prepare work. It’s probably time to start thinking a bit more about WCEU (WordCamp Europe) as well as June is approaching.


Marketing Team Notes – February 27th, 2019

Today’s Meeting

Meeting Attended By: @siobhanseija, @maedahbatool, @joostdevalk, @yvettesonneveld, @harryjackson1221, @joelobo, @michelleames, @abhanonstopnewsuk, @jonoalderson, @newyokerlaura

Notes Taken By: @maedahbatool

Slack Timestamp

Celebration/Achievements in the Last Week

  • @siobhanseija — I joined the organising team for WordCamp Nijmegen, which should be a lot of fun!
  • @joostdevalk@jonoalderson and I had our first requests for analytics data from other teams, that was nice.
  • @michelleames — Personally, I was announced as Keynote for WordCamp Kent. And asked to keynote another that isn’t public yet.
  • @newyokerlaura — Working with the WCUS team to onboard new folks.
  • @abhanonstopnewsuk — Sponsorship post is all finished after review, feedback phase with sponsors, editing etc. With @siobhanseija for final steps. Great team input on all aspects. A good example of how all our skills come together.

Task Lead Updates

  • @joostdevalk:
  • Still thinking about what the history page should be and discussing that with Matt and others.
  • The design of /mobile/ will be discussed in the #design meeting tonight.
  • The design of the showcase has been discussed in the #design meeting last week, it needs some updates.
  • @jonoalderson and I are still working on getting better analytics measurements across the board.
  • We’re also working on improving SEO, we’ve had some nice changes this week with titles of WordPress themes and plugins now actually containing “WordPress Theme” & “WordPress Plugin”.
  • @siobhanseija: https://trello.com/c/CPcpxveZ/201-first-time-at-contributor-day-heres-what-you-need-to-know
  • I just didn’t get around to this before but I’m hoping to kick-start it this week
  • I just discussed with @joostdevalk that posts like this one may need a different place or input from a different team. But we’d like to at least start writing from the perspective of joining the marketing team.
  • @abhanonstopnewsuk — There are lots we have been doing at WCEU which will help with information and cross-links too.
  • @abhanonstopnewsuk:
  • What to expect as a contributor feature including interviews with a number of contributors is all finished bar one photo.
  • @newyokerlaura — This is awesome. I will pass this info to Aaron Campbell who is spearheading the WCUS Contributor Day Team. It (why contribute post) for the marketing blog as the first step, but think this would work well promoting it on the “make community”. I would suggest it for WordCamp.org news and can speak to Hugh there about it if you’re happy @joostdevalk.
  • @joostdevalk — Sounds good @abhanonstopnewsuk. Speaking to Hugh would be a good thing. I think the make marketing blog is great for our internal communication, but for stuff that deserves more eyes, and a lot of this does, we should be looking at better places to publish it.
  • @siobhanseija — Yes, the team has been creating some valuable content, nice work! Especially @abhanonstopnewsuk, you’re on a roll and I love how you get so many people involved on the docs!
  • @joelobo:
  • A couple of months back we spoke about getting this post which I wrote on .org in some form: https://make.wordpress.org/marketing/2018/11/07/how-to-create-a-business-website-with-wordpress/ What’s the best way to approach this?
  • @joostdevalk — Joe, I’m working on a plan for a wordpress.org site structure that allows for this type of content to exist. I think almost everyone agrees that it’s needed, but we don’t have a logical place for it to “live” yet.
  • @abhanonstopnewsuk — This post has had a lot of contribution and writing team as a whole and getting direct feedback which meant we were able to get a great package together.
  • @joelobo — Agreed. I’d argue it could on as it is on .org with a few minor tweaks. Perhaps I’m wrong.
  • @yvettesonneveld — The fact that so many now agree that it’s needed already is a huge win. We will find that gorgeous home, I’m sure!
  • @abhanonstopnewsuk:
  • The what to expect as a sponsor has had a lot of work on it and feedback from WordCamps and sponsors, so it could be a real benefit for sponsors teams at WordCamps if available via the handbook too.
  • @yvettesonneveld — I wonder if it would be helpful to repurpose this blog post into a pdf document that organizers in charge of sponsoring could share with potential sponsors too. Like an e-guide.
  • @newyokerlaura — There’s a lot that could benefit from being in PDF format.
  • @abhanonstopnewsuk — Sounds excellent. We would need to get community ok on content first, I suggest. Happy to talk to the team there as I had to check items with them for this and WCLDN sponsors recently, which fed into this document too.
  • @siobhanseija — Yeah, I’ve been discussing this with Joost as well. A lot of the posts we did over the last months are valuable and should have a different place!
  • @newyokerlaura — I know this may sound crazy, but having a document respiratory. Like a Library divided by topic might help. Can grab what they need.
  • @joostdevalk — Well the handbooks are meant to be that. But more and more I’m coming to the conclusion that we probably need to be maintaining sections in other team’s handbooks.

New Business

  • @joostdevalk:
  • I’ve been talking to @johnparkinson about getting some of the awesome posts about videos by @siobhanseija and @abhanonstopnewsuk to be cross-posted to blog.wordpress.tv
  • @yvettesonneveld — Maybe the design team could help them create a slide template. With some slides and a free Zoom account, it’s easy to turn the blog posts into video as well.
  • @harryjackson1221:
  • We are still working on organization and submission requirements for the Showcase, and have a Doodle to help us set a meeting up to allow for the most people to attend. Feel free to plug in in some availability on that here: https://doodle.com/poll/n6462yvsmtcmd2s5
  • We have identified a few action items last time, and hope to flesh those out further the next time we meet – which will hopefully be in the next few days. Once we have a list of people wanting to attend, we can create a DM and share the agenda and other items we have come up with so far.
  • @siobhanseija — I think I’d like to join! I’ll fill out the Doodle later on.
  • @joostdevalk:
  • I’d love all your input here: https://make.wordpress.org/marketing/2019/02/20/gutenberg-page-changes/
  • @siobhanseija — Yes! Actually, this is something I meant to touch on today. So anyone can chime in, Joost asks for input on the make/marketing blog, like the post above. He also shares the posts in this channel, but you might have missed them. If you have any input, please do comment on the post! This is also great if you just don’t have your opinion ready right at the moment you see the question. You can think about it a bit more and still share your two cents.
  • @joostdevalk — Yeah the goal here is to make larger decisions based on input that people can give when they have time, not on whether they show up for the meeting.

Marketing Team Notes – January 23rd, 2019

Today’s Meeting

Slack Timestamp

Meeting Attended By: @siobhanseija, @maedahbatool, @coachbirgit, @joostdevalk, @jenblogs4u, @harryjackson1221, @meher, @abhanonstopnewsuk

Notes Taken By: @harryjackson1221

Announcement from @joostdevalk

We are changing the time of the weekly meeting to 7AM PST, or 15:00 GMT.

We began the meeting by discussing the team process, and the time of our weekly meetings.

The main point of the article is that the meetings are for reporting, and not mandatory for team members to attend. We are using the channel for discussions, and when they lead to decisions, we are going to be posting them on the make.wordpress.org/marketing blog.

All of the team reps for Marketing will have editorial access moving forward. This way, when we post updates for the team, anyone has the opportunity to chime in via the comments, and it is easier for people to keep track of the team’s movement.

Celebrations This Week

Task Lead Updates

A Short History of WordPress:

Showcase Updates

  • @joostdevalk is going to share a blog post about some changes we see needed for the Showcase (https://wordpress.org/showcase/) to make it a bit more modern, and allow our case studies to be a part of that. @harryjackson1221 is super interested in contributing to this effort, and anyone else that wants to be in those discussions can do so in the Slack Marketing channel, as well as in the comments here.
  • @joostdevalk is planning on attending the #design meeting later today and asking for help, and we want to get this project moving fast. The target date for this update is the end of February.
  • We also talked about creating a Trello card for this, but it was decided that a small working group with resources and a project manager will be capable of getting the job done in a better fashion. So far, @harryjackson1221, @michelleames, @meher, @abhanonstopnewsuk have all showed interest in contributing to this project.

New Business Thread

One of the first changes @joostdevtalk has started implementing is removing the mentions of us being an all volunteer team. Yoast has decided to donate 50% of @siobhanseija’s working hours to coordinate the work being done on this team. While that does not mean that involvement as a volunteer is any less appreciated, but it is simply no longer true of this particular team and we feel it is best to not misrepresent moving forward.

WordCamp Zaragoda Contributor Day

We will be supporting the marketing efforts at WordCamp Zaragoda Contributor Day this weekend. @abha will post a link in Slack by Friday if anyone is around to welcome and support the group. We may need to support some access to Trello and other tools during the onboarding process. Thanks to @Priscilla Bocage who will be marketing on site.


Marketing Meeting Notes – December 6, 2017

Marketing Team Vision

Our vision for the Marketing Team is to be the go-to resource for strategy and content for other WordPress teams.

Getting Involved

All are welcome and encouraged to join in, comment on posts, and participate in meetings and on projects:

Today’s Meeting

The marketing team has unified at WCUS. Here is the document for our meeting notes. Feel free to read the scroll back in Slack.

WCUS Outcome

  • No more subgroups, we are one unified group. Trello board collapsed into one entity. Thank you  to @mcdwayne and @annelieke who did this merging
  • To reiterate EVERYONE has the ability (AND PERMISSION) to make a Trello Card. We have instructions here: https://trello.com/c/GcNFAQ7x/32-welcome-heres-how-to-get-started
  • The projects from the former subgroups are still valid. We just want to continue to work and function as one team.
  • Be sure to subscribe to the Marketing Blog so you read our weekly updates. Our blog is at https://make.wordpress.org/marketing/
  • Reminder to us all to say and use make.wordpress.org on things and not just use the jargon “P2”. Make it easier for all who are not as up on jargon to follow along.

To Do List:

We have 4 main things at the moment:

  1. Contributor day Suport: https://trello.com/c/wzvtWjzi/8-wcus-contributor-day-support
  2. The End User Persona card is something we are still working on. @Miker updated the card.  We have resources allocated to a formal WordPress User Persona Research project starting in January.  We are basing this on the persona research from the Nielsen Group.  @Miker will provide the results of this research as the project progresses. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YROsrDhUUNHMD0Ph9vdXteSympo2CcTMhHw0pD6H0lo/edit#heading=h.iy9n8zagee9w @harryjackson1221 is also currently working on this today
  3. There are a few pieces of content regarding WCUS teams that need to be merged. A post on our blog will be put together regarding this by @gidgy https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9wRJsOfSKgzbzFSYkRHZkZhM0U

Task of the Day: Getting word out about Make.WordPress.org

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11X21OcsrNI709QM7fpYKadEF5DMxFN8jC194LMGiNBA/edit

  1. Challenges include that the current naming is a mouthful and not self-explanatory to newcomers
  2. What should we call make.wordpress.org when we tell people that’s how you contribute?
  3. Perpetual Confusion between .org and .com is a consideration and a hurdle
  4. I Make WordPress.org stickers designed by @harryjackson1221 and distributed during WCUS  trying to help alleviate the confusion
  5. Messaging like this on Twitter by @jenblogs4u (in fact everyone Tweet it out!) is important “Do you #design, #develop or #blog in #WordPress? Did you know you can get the latest news, discover events and get involved with the #community at http://make.wordpress.org?” We cannot repeate this message too much https://twitter.com/JenBlogs4U/status/938444151821017088
  6. Vital Hashtag information: We all should be using #MakeWordPress and #Community is to get the other people seeing that tweet.
  7. This is a possible resource, but it’s a little hard to navigate https://make.wordpress.org/marketing/2017/07/05/what-is-a-contributor-wordpress-contributors-speak-out/ that is where the making of a hanbook comes in. @Mcdwayne and @skarjune are on this https://wordpress.slack.com/team/U893BCC13
  8. We are writing copy that promotes make.wordpress.org to the general public (meaning people who want to contribute but don’t know where to start). @tlctara has volunteered to start this.
    1. @angelkiss might provide some graphics
    2. Needs to be language that doesn’t have too much jargon
    3. Must be newcomer friendly, but also understandable for “old timers” who are up on the jargon. So unless something is done to change the term/announce a change in term, leads will still use P2. Currently team reps like @gidgy have the experience that when they were newcomers that this term “confused me and made me feel left out and confused … made it harder to contribute and feel helpful” therefore let’s use new and old terms side-by-side to make all feel welcomed and to stay informed. For example, “Our marketing blog (A.K.A. the P2) recaps the work the marketing group of volunteers is tackline.”
    4. @newyorkerlaura suggested that we need a jargon guide for newcomers. @Mcdwayne made a Trello card for this. https://trello.com/c/kpXnCGls/96-wp-jargon-glossary-for-new-people
    5. Possible resources for several items above from WCUS 2017 website
      1. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day-info-resource-of-team-listing/
      2. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/2017/10/03/slack-101-connecting-with-other-wordcampers-on-slack/
    6. Photos taken from WCUS going to the Google Drive soon via @NewYorkerLaura

 

Notes taken by: @NewYorkerLaura

Meeting Attended by: @bridgetwillard @meher @NewYorkerLaura @skarjune @mcdwayne @maedahbatool @alicestill @harryjackson1221 @dhruvpandya @jenblogs4u @taraclaeys @miker @bseekins @chanthaboune @westcountymedia