The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
Please add any comments on the related Marketing Tasks GitHub issue or in the #marketing channel on the Make WordPress SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/..
- This meeting was organized on GitHub card #216
- Leading the meeting:@sereedmedia
- Taking notes: @TBD
- Link to meeting start in Slack: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C0GKJ7TFA/p1681225212224739
- Link to attendance thread in Slack (7 contribs): https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C0GKJ7TFA/p1681225264757389
- Two of our team reps are currently out on leave: @robinwpdeveloper and @santanainniss. We hope they will be able to return soon!
- The Marketing team reps were asked for input on topics to discuss and contributors to recommend to attend the Community Summit at WCUS. We have recommended @ninianepress (Jenni McKinnon), @sereedmedia (Sé Reed), and @ngreennc (Nyasha Green). Contributor @noman@nomadskateboarding (Mark-Andrew) is already slated to attend.
- Help us prepare Marketing Team text for WCEU Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/.: https://github.com/WordPress/Marketing-Team/issues/212
- Discussion on ticket that lead to completion/close-out
- This next coffee break will be on TBD. The topic will be: WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Europe Contributor Day prep
- Marketing Team: #WP20 campaign announcement: 20 Days to Celebrate 20 Years of WordPress, From Blogs to Blocks
- WP Briefing: Episode 54: A Bill of Rights for the Open Web
- Highlighted quote: Basically, the whole concept of open sourceOpen Source Open Source denotes software for which the original source code is made freely available and may be redistributed and modified. Open Source **must be** delivered via a licensing model, see GPL. software is being built by the folks who show up. You can’t influence the future of anything if you’re not showing up in the spaces where the influence happens.
WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ social media updates
- WordPress had a solid week over the past week from a performance perspective. We managed to improve our total number of clicks to the website (1,379 or +1.9%) and maintained a fairly close engagement rate (1.9%) which is on par with our goals. We produced a good mix of campaigns and saw similar performances to some of our better weeks. We did see some loss again with Twitter as it continues to see a loss of subscribers as more people leave the platform. This lowered our overall gain on the week to 386.
- The overall performance was strong from many campaigns, however, it was strongest with our WP20 campaign and saw that campaign alone picked up all 3 of the top performing places for the week as users continue to get excited about the upcoming 20th anniversary.
- Here is a look at some of the performance numbers for the last week:
- Impressions: 322,578
- Engagements: 6,140
- Link clicks: 1,379
- Engagement Rate: 1.9%
GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ Issues
- Grow Your Story: Phase II #222
- New ticket for the 2023 campaign
- WP20 Book: Building Blocks: The Evolution of WordPress 2013-2023 #223
- Discussion about using pull requests for editing content, no conclusion reached
GitHub issues are being grouped in a new way today, please comment if this format is helpful or not.
Marketing Team management:
- Adds marketing-specific issue templates #213 . Pull request for Amplification request form #140
- Changes requested on this pull request
- Please provide feedback on how the marketing team can request and receive information from the community for amplification.
- WPPhotos campaign and the different ways to contribute #178 AND Capturing Marketing Photos for the WordPress Photo Directory #189
- @rmartinezduque has been updating the handbook and campaign information on this.
- Add ideas to the WP Campaigns Social Content Brainstorm doc #191
- Needs to be sorted and revised for WCEU.
- Create revised content for GitHub repo Contributor Day Handbook (cross-team collab) #192
- Leveraging marketing strategies to eclipse WordPress competitors #202 (Discussion)
- Suggestion to submit for the WP Community Summit
- What is WordPress? #205
- Tagged MetaMeta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. Team SEO contributor for review
- The Month in WordPress: April 2023 Edition #209
- Deadline flagged and reviews completed
- Get involved or Contribute tab for the About page — structure and the content #217
- Showcase Guidelines and Content Moderation #221
- New Showcase guidelines proposals … this is a key marketing point for WordPress, opinions and feedback encouraged
- WordPress for Corporate Sized Entities #22
- This can possibly be reworked as a new ticket to address https://wordpress.org/enterprise/
Our next meeting is 09 May, 2023 at 15:00 UTC.
- GitHub card for the next meeting: https://github.com/WordPress/Marketing-Team/issues/224