The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
Please add any comments on the related Marketing Tasks GitHub issue or in the #marketing channel on the Make WordPress SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/..
- This meeting was organized on GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ card #210
- Leading the meeting:@sereedmedia
- Taking notes: @santana.inniss
- Link to meeting start in Slack: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C0GKJ7TFA/p1681225212224739
- Link to attendance thread in Slack (16 contribs): https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C0GKJ7TFA/p1681225264757389
- Next coffee break was tentatively scheduled for 13 April 18:30 UTC to check out the Stories feature in Jetpack for possible use.
- Please continue to provide feedback on the notes as we update our format. Please comment on GitHub Issue 194 or leave comments directly on notes posts.
- WP Briefing: Episode 53: A Look at WordPress 6.2 “Dolphy”
- The Month in WordPress: March 2023
- Developer Blog: What’s new for developers? (April 2023)
WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ social media updates
- No stats were presented this week
- Get involved or Contribute tab for the About page — structure and the content #217
- GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ and Blogging Campaign #199
- We have kicked off an iteration of this campaign for the #WP20! It will start May 7 and run through the WP birthday of May 27. If you would like to help organize the campaign, please let the marketing team know in Slack.
- WordPress Media Outreach #135
- Discussion is currently focused on press release process.
- Create single source of reference/FAQ for Make WordPress contributors working on GitHub #167
- Ideally we could tackle this ticket before WCEU.
- Update Marketing Handbooks “Get Involved” pages to improve contribution process for Marketing contributors #169
- This needs attention before WCEU
- WPPhotos campaign and the different ways to contribute #178 & Capturing Marketing Photos for the WordPress Photo Directory #189
- The idea was to split the ‘How to contribute’ section of #178 into different GitHub issues
- Needs to be finished before WCEU for contributor dayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/.
- Identify and update/create single page clarifying structure of WordPress pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party and theme ecosystem #179
- A marketing contributor has offered to work on this in the coming months.
- Add ideas to the WP Campaigns Social Content Brainstorm doc #191
- This ticket needs to be reviewed for good ideas that can be incorporated into the marketing team strategy/plan, and then revised for WCEU and additional “open brainstorming” opportunities
- Create shortform video content from contributors for WordPress’ 20th Birthday! #190
- This ticket needs to be updated and closed
- Help create a plan for short form video on Tik Tok #114 AND Develop shortform video content and related copy with Learn Team #187
- This week’s Marketing team coffee break focusing on Jetpack Stories is part of these efforts. We are looking at using Jetpack Stories to publish short-form vertical video on Learn
- Create revised content for GitHub repo Contributor Day Handbook (cross-team collab) #192
- Needs attention before WCEU
- Develop a widgetWidget A WordPress Widget is a small block that performs a specific function. You can add these widgets in sidebars also known as widget-ready areas on your web page. WordPress widgets were originally created to provide a simple and easy-to-use way of giving design and structure control of the WordPress theme to the user. for WordPress dashboard to offer Mobile app installation #201
- Contributor @OGlekler is developing tickets and doing research to determine how marketing can help with the Mobile app switch to dot-org/decoupling from Jetpack.
- Leveraging marketing strategies to eclipse WordPress competitors #202
- Should this be a discussion tticket first and then once campaigns are developed, those can be issues?
- What is WordPress? #205
- This issue needs to be moved forward with project leadership. We have done outreach for comments.
- Github recommended supporting docs #211
- Pull requests have been submitted to help move along some of the GitHub documentation. We’ve got some key discussion happening in https://github.com/WordPress/Marketing-Team/issues/140, so please weigh in.
- Five for the Future Email Template for Contributors #18
- Flagged for FFTF contributors to be incorporated into FFTF docs
Our next meeting is 18 April, 2023 at 15:00 UTC.
- GitHub card for the next meeting: https://github.com/WordPress/Marketing-Team/issues/214