If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, you can add comments directly to the #marketing channel on the Make WordPress Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog. The team may not be aware of comments you add on other sites which replicate the notes.
1. Welcome and introduction
- Agenda for the meeting on November 30, 2022.
- The meeting discussions on the Marketing team channel on Slack start with this message in the Make WordPress Slack. You can add to the threads if you were unable to attend the meeting live or for its full duration. If an update relates to a task, please also update the relevant GitHub card on the GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ tasks board. This is the main project tracking area for the team.
- The meeting was prepared and facilitated by Team Reps: @nalininonstopnewsuk, @lmurillom, @eidolonnight
- Meeting notes: @lmurillom
- For those new to the team, the New Contributor Orientation section of the Handbook can be a good place to start. You can also visit the team’s GitHub task board and join any card you are interested in. All you need is a GitHub account to add a comment or update to a relevant card/ ticket.
2. Getting to know each other
The Slack thread lists who came along to the meeting live or asynchronously.
2b. Social Question
What is the most unusual destination you have taken a photograph? Share what made it a special photo. Do you know you can share photos of your favorite places in the WordPress photo directory? Explore photographs already available at https://wordpress.org/photos/.
You can read replies in this Slack thread.
3. Notetakers and coffee break facilitators – volunteer opportunities
3a. Can you help take notes?
Thank you to our note-taking volunteers for the next few weeks.
The GitHub card for all aspects of each week’s meeting and any collaboration are linked below by date. We set up cards a couple of weeks in advance of each meeting. Please message Nalini on Slack if you are unsure how to add comments to the GitHub card.
If you have suggestions for the agendas for these meetings or have an update you can give asynchronously, you can also add them to the card (links below) for the relevant week.
30 November 2022 GitHub #125 – @slspeller911
7 December 2022 GitHub #143 – @slspeller911
14 December 2022 GitHub #144 – @robinwpdeveloper
21 December 2022 GitHub #145 – any takers?
28 December – no live meeting, please add updates to the relevant task’s GitHub card.
Add your name to the GitHub roster / rota at GitHub card #138.
We have a discussion to continue our efforts to make the note taking easier to do. You can join the discussion on GitHub card #148.
3b. Help to facilitate a coffee break?
The team is also looking for contributors to open the virtual coffee shop in the bi-weekly coffee break, including tomorrow’s normally scheduled break. Check out GitHub card #23 and add your name to the list if you’re interested. We even have a complete guide for facilitators to help.
Last week, both @santanainniss and @jpantani proposed alternate times for these coffee breaks: 11:00AM UTC and 00:00 UTC respectively. Would we like to test these times this week?
Please note: Our usual coffee break on Dec 15th may need to be rescheduled due to conflict with State of the Word.
4. Team Rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. nominations 2023
A reminder that the team is looking for new team reps for 2023. You can read more about this role, and comment your nominations, in our blog post: 2023 Team Rep Nominations for Marketing
Please give this a read and consider volunteering or nominating someone for this role in 2023. @nalininonstopnewsuk, @lmurillom and @eidolonnight are also happy to answer any questions you may have.
Reminder: Nominations for marketing team reps will close 6 December 2022 at 09:00 UTC.
5. Marketing Team GitHub
The main Marketing Team task board is available in GitHub. If you would like help using GitHub, please reply in this thread. There is help available.
Raising GitHub card/ ticket awareness slot
Polyglots outreach card GtHub #139 – there is nothing specific from Nicholas and Dan in marketing at the moment. Watch out for further updates from @erica. The first monthly post is already available.
You can help by continuing to retweet and share posts on the WordPress.org social channels. Nicholas will share more on this in the next item.
Brand and style guide updates and collaboration
Thanks to everyone who has contributed on this. @webcommsat and @laurlittle discussed linking to this guide to help writers in the developer blog in this Slack thread. @nalininonstopnewsuk highlighted that the developer core blog is in public beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process..
5a. Updates on WordPress.org social media accounts and how you can help
Our WordPress Social Media Amplification (GitHub ticket #7) details how you can help share and amplify WordPress news on social media. You will also find a list of the primary WordPress.org social accounts and campaign contacts if you would like to help craft content.
This week we’d specifically like folks to share the announcement of State of the Word 2022, which will take place on December 15, 2022, 1–2:30 P.M. EST (18–19:30 UTC).
We also have a couple open conversations for folks, even new contributors, to get involved in. These are a couple things we hope to take action on in 2023.
WordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ has had another strong week from our social campaigns. We had the second highest level of engagement over the week at 2.2% and our strongest campaigns of the week included Photo Directory and WP 6.1 which discussed features and drove a lot of conversations online.
Here are a look at some of the performance numbers for the last week:
- Impressions: 310,742
- Engagements: 6,768
- Link clicks: 1,338
- Net-New Followers: 522
5b. Contributor Events Update
- WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Asia Contributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. awareness: February 17, 2023 – GitHub ticket #108. Please add to the card if you intend to be at the contributor day and involved in the marketing table. If you would like to help organize the table, you can volunteer too. Thank you to those who have put their names on the card so far. Is anyone else going?
- WordCamp Kolkata Contributor Day – GitHub ticket #136 awaiting information on whether there will be a marketing table. Will you be going? Please add to the GitHub card if you will be going and can be involved.
- Are you aware of any other WordCamp or WordPress Meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. contributor days/ events which are likely to have a marketing table?
5c. Newsletters and series
- Month in WordPress October 2022 has been published! Read it to learn more about the latest major release A set of releases or versions having the same major version number may be collectively referred to as “X.Y” -- for example version 5.2.x to refer to versions 5.2, 5.2.1, and all other versions in the 5.2. (five dot two dot) branch of that software. Major Releases often are the introduction of new major features and functionality., WordPress 6.1, and the State of the Word This is the annual report given by Matt Mullenweg, founder of WordPress at WordCamp US. It looks at what we’ve done, what we’re doing, and the future of WordPress. https://wordpress.tv/tag/state-of-the-word/. 2022 live event, and other news. Thanks @rmartinezduque.
- People of WordPress update: the postponed September edition goes live today. We are awaiting photos for the next edition, which was originally scheduled for November publication.
- November 2022 (updated) #104. @cbringmann has reconfirmed the post in the WordPress system. One link to a WordCamp is to be added. It will then be published.
- December 2022 (revised) #133 Pictures and further information awaited to complete this.
- Research for January 2023 has been started and collaboration will run in parallel with December’s as a backup. If you would like to help, please add to the GitHub card.
6. Diary dates – upcoming events and meetings
Our next Coffee break will be Thursday, 1 December 2022, at 6:30PM UTC.
Assuming we can have a volunteer facilitator (see item 3b above)
This bi-weekly social coffee break is held by the Make Marketing team for all WordPress Marketing contributors, and occasional guests. Stop by and meet some of the friendly faces marketing WordPress.
Follow this Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations, and social activities. We also list important dates in this Forthcoming Diary Dates post.
7. Open floor
- @webcommsat is aggregating P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. issues. If you have any examples of potential issues in the P2, can you please share them in the Make Marketing Slack. Slack thread.
- @rmartinezduque shared that social posts will be going out to encourage people to contribute photos of their holidays, festivities, and traditions. Reyes will update the GitHub card when the posts go out. Liking and sharing is a great way to help spread the word and encourage more photo contributions. Slack thread.
Next week’s planning – GitHub card #143, December 7, 2022 meeting. You can add to the card on GitHub with anything to include or updates on a specific card to be inclu