If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, you can add comments directly to the #marketing channel on the Make WordPress Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog.
After each item in the meeting notes, there is a link directly to its related Slack thread. This will help you join the discussions and get more involved. The team may not be aware of comments you add on other sites which replicate the notes.
1. Welcome and introduction
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and assist with asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
2. Getting to know each other
- Meeting attendees: participants can be viewed in this Slack thread. We welcome people from across all time zones to participate.
- Social question of the week from @nalininonstopnewsuk: to celebrate creativity, what are your favorite two colors to put together? Read replies from the team on this Slack thread.
3. Notes and volunteer opportunities
Thank you to our note-taking volunteers for the next few weeks. How to information for the team’s notes are available in the Marketing Team Handbook.
The GitHub card for all aspects of each week’s meeting and any collaboration are linked in the list below by date. If you have suggestions for the agendas for these meetings or have an update you can give asynchronously, you can also add them to the card for the relevant week. There are contributors available to help anyone get started with the team GitHub, send a message in the main Marketing slack channel and include Nalini (for her Slack ID write the ‘@’ sympbol followed by her name ‘Nalini’, no space).
Team notes from September 14, 2022 – props to @yashwardhanrana for drafting and to @nalininonstopnewsuk and @lmurillom for reviewing.
Notetakers for coming weeks – join our group of contributors who help with notes by volunteering when you see a call for notetakers during our meetings, or by adding your name to the weekly GitHub card.
September 28, 2022 – GitHub #112 –
October 2, 2022 GitHub #116 – Adeeb Malik
October 9, 2022 GitHub #117 –
We are looking for contributors to open the virtual coffee shop for the bi-weekly coffee break.
Check out the GitHub card #23 and add your name to the list! Read the updated guide on facilitating a coffee break and volunteer.
4. Marketing project and task updates
Update from @eidolonnight
The main Marketing Team task board is available in GitHub. If you would like help using GitHub, please reply in this thread. There is help available. We will be bringing GitHub cards to this meeting for a regular status check-in. These are also shared on the GitHub planning card.
If you’re a member of the WordPress GitHub organization and have Two-Factor-Authentication disabled, please enable it on your GitHub account, as it will soon be required. You can enable it at: https://github.com/settings/security
- Five for the Future Email Template for Contributors (GitHub #18). Several contributors at WoordCamp US (WCUS) drafted this template. We just need to do some copy review and package these up. More templates are still welcome as well! If you would like to help, comment here and/or in the issue.
- Create plan for short-form video content on Tiktok (GitHub #114). Several contributors at WCUS put together some wonderful thoughts on the how this can be done. Let’s discuss next steps in the GitHub issue and put together some pilot content.
- We also had several ideas come in for the #WordPress, #WPPhotos, #LearnWP, #WPOpenverse, #GrowYourStoryWP, and #WordCamp campaigns during WCUS Contributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/.. I’ve updated the WordPress Social Media Amplification (GitHub #7).
- We have an open brainstorming doc from WCUS with several ideas. Call for contributors to review and create Github issues as needed.
4a. Social media update
- Social media amplification. Our WordPress Social Media Amplification (GitHub ticket #7) details how you can help share and amplify WordPress news on social media. You will also find a list of the primary WordPress.org social accounts and campaign contacts there. This is a good first task for new contributors.
- Weekly social media stats reported by @bjmcsherry: We managed another strong week for our social campaigns, especially with our key net-new subscribers objective, hitting 1,380 followers as we continue to drive higher than expected weekly numbers from previous performances. In addition, many of our campaigns including the WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. follow-up and the Photo Directory campaign performed best. These scored high marks in some of our best examples throughout the week.
- Here are a look at some of the overall performance numbers for the last week:
- Impressions: 291,564
- Engagements: 5,964
- Link clicks: 1,318
- Messages received: 40
4b. Updates on forthcoming WordPress releases and FSE
Dan subbed in for WordPress 6.1 Marketing & Communications Lead, @jpantani, at the meeting for any 6.1 release updates.
- Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 1 ready for general/public testing on September 21, 2022
- After Beta 1 ships, we will begin work on the About Page which will detail key features/updates that are included in 6.1. Follow along in this channel for more information.
4c. Contributor events update
Updates from @eidolonnight
- WordCamp Asia contributor day awareness, February 17, 2023 – GitHub #108. Please can you add to the card if you intend to be at the contributor day and involved in the marketing table.
- Just a reminder from last week. There is a Dzongkha language onboarding video in progress – this is now set for a month before WordCamp Asia 2023. @Ugyen is working on this. Please add to the GitHub #59 if you can assist him with the video work on this.
4d. Newsletters and series
- Month in WordPress: If you have any news or Make team updates that would be valuable and relevant for the September 2022 edition, please feel free to add them as a comment to GitHub #109 by Friday September 30, 2022.
- WP Briefing: @Santana.Inniss has shared a call for brainstorming for the Halloween Episode of the WP Briefing Podcast. Please leave your ideas in GitHub #113. Deadline: September 26, 2022
- Annual WordPress Meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. Survey: The Community Team would like to conduct another outreach effort to encourage meetup organizers and members to complete the Annual WordPress Meetup Survey (available in 14 languages).
Photos directory initiative (GitHub card 80) for World Photography Day. Please continue to submit your photos, and if you would like to share a story behind the photo they sent and the place it represents, reach out to @rmartinezduque.
5. Diary dates – upcoming events and meetings
Updates by @nalininonstopnewsuk
Our next Coffee break was held on Thursday 22 September 2022 at 18:30/ 6.30pm UTC facilitated by @laurlittle.
This bi-weekly social coffee break is held by the Make Marketing team for all WordPress Marketing contributors, and occasional guests. Stop by and meet some of the friendly faces marketing WordPress.
Follow this Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations, and social activities. We also list important dates in this Forthcoming Diary Dates post.
6. Open floor
No additional items shared during the open floor.
You can join the GitHub card #112 for next week’s meeting on September 28, 2022. The meeting will take place in this channel at 15:00 UTC.
Polyglots will be updating wptranslationday.org for the event for 2022. @eidolonnight confirmed they will use @TranslateWP on Twitter with updates and sharing some items on WordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ social channels too.