If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, you can add comments directly to the #marketing channel on the Make WordPress Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog.
After each item in the meeting notes, there is a link directly to its related Slack thread. This will help you join the discussions and get more involved. The team may not be aware of comments you add on other sites which replicate the notes.
1. Welcome and introduction
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and assist with asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- The meeting discussions on the Marketing team channel start at this timestamp in the Make WordPress Slack. You can add to the threads if you were unable to attend the meeting live.
- The meeting was facilitated by Team Reps: @eidolonnight and @lmurillom. GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ overview in the week leading up to the meeting: @nalininonstopnewsuk
- Meeting notes: @laurlittle
- Notes Editor/Review: @nalininonstopnewsuk
- For those new to the team, the New Contributor Orientation section of the Handbook can be a good place to start.
2. Getting to know each other
- Meeting attendees: participants can be viewed in this Slack thread
- Social question of the week from @nalininonstopnewsuk: in the spirit of the #WorldPhotographyDay22 initiative from last week, people shared their favorite landmarks (or those they wish to visit) in this Slack thread.
3. Notes and volunteer opportunities
Take a look at the notes from August 24, 2022—thank you @ugyensupport and @webcommsat for putting them together!
Notetakers for coming weeks – join our group of contributors who help with notes by volunteering when you see a call for notetakers during our meetings, or by adding your name to the weekly GitHub card.
We are always looking for contributors to open the virtual coffee shop for the bi-weekly coffee break. Check out the GitHub ticket #23 and add your name to the list!
4. Project and task updates
The main Marketing Team task board on GitHub.
If you would like specific assistance on using GitHub, please reply in this thread. There is help available! You can also contribute to wiki information we are working on with other teams.
4a. Social Media
Update via: @eidolonnight and @bjmcsherry
Slack thread link
GitHub ticket #7 details how you can help share and amplify WordPress news on social media. You will also find a list of the primary WordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ social accounts there. This is a good first task for new contributors. You can start participating in our online conversations and/or contributing content to one of our active campaigns.
We continued our strong growth this week, including another large increase in net-new follower growth with 1,347 new subscribers. This was led by strong performance with LinkedIn. In addition, many of our campaigns including the Learn campaign and the Photo Directory campaign (which continued last week’s special themed campaign on #WorldPhotoDay), scored high marks in some of our best examples throughout the week.
Some of the performance numbers for the last week:
- Impressions: 321,409
- Engagements: 5,353
- Link clicks: 1,640
- Messages received: 41
Along with this week’s social update, @eidolonnight is exploring possible solutions for auto-posting published videos to the WordPress YouTube channel. Conversation is ongoing in this #WPTV thread.
4b. Forthcoming WordPress releases
Update via: @eidolonnight
Slack thread link
An update on WordPress 6.1 from Marketing & Communications lead, @jpantani:
- Things are on track and work is beginning on writing announcements.
- Save the date: there will be a live product walk-through on September 13, 2022 at 16:00 UTC. (The date and time were chosen to complement existing release party schedules.)
- Some details about the live walk-through are still being worked out, but a formal announcement is on the way soon.
4c. Contributor events updates
Update via: @nalininonstopnewsuk
Slack thread link
- If you will be attending Contributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. at WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. US on September 11, 2022, please visit the open GitHub ticket (#90). Let us know some of the things you would like to work on. You can also check for updates on what is being planned.
- The Italian version of the Make WordPress and Slack onboarding video went live a few weeks ago. You can find it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdLySC2NvMU. Props to @matteote, @lasacco, @jpantani, @webcommsat, @meher, @nalininonstopnewsuk and @macgraphic for working on this.
4d. Newsletters, campaigns, and event updates
Update via: @lmurillom
Slack thread link
- Month in WordPress August: The expected publication date for the August 2022 edition of The Month in WordPress is Friday, September 2, 2022. If you have any news or Make team updates that would be valuable and relevant to the post, please feel free to add them as a comment to this GitHub card.
- Update from the Photo Directory initiative(GitHub card 80) for World Photography Day. @rmartinezduque has let us know that a few social posts were shared to announce that the challenge is now closed. However, everyone is encouraged to keep contributing to the Photo Directory. Photos from the challenge will also continue to be featured on WordPress.org’s social platforms.
- A high number of photos have been submitted and there are still quite a few in the moderation queue. The World Photography Day collection will grow as they are approved. In the meantime, you can enjoy the challenge submissions that have already been approved at https://wordpress.org/photos/t/worldphotographyday22/
- If any of the people who participated would like to share a story behind the photo they sent and the place it represents, please feel free to reach out to @rmartinezduque or add to the GitHub ticket 80 (link above).
5. Diary/Calendar dates
Our next coffee break will be Thursday 8 September 2022 at 18:30/ 6.30pm UTC. This bi-weekly social coffee break is held by the Make Marketing team for all WordPress Marketing contributors, and occasional guests. Stop by and meet some of the friendly faces marketing WordPress.
Follow this Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations, and social activities. We also list important dates in this Forthcoming Diary/Calendar Dates post.
6. Open floor
@eidolonnight mentioned that there’s still an open discussion about the Marketing team description (GitHub card 87). The discussion has been open for a while, so if you would like to offer feedback, please do so as soon as possible.
@rmartinezduque reminded that a draft of the Month in WordPress for August would soon be ready for review.
Join us for the next Global Marketing Team meeting: 7 September 2022, 15:00 UTC in the #marketing channel on Slack. Add items or async updates to the GitHub card for next week (GitHub card 107).