The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, you can add comments directly to the #marketing channel on the Make WordPress SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog.
After each item in the meeting notes, there is a link directly to its related Slack thread. This will help you join the discussions and get more involved. The team may not be aware of comments you add on other sites which replicate these notes.
1. Welcome and introduction
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and assist with asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- The meeting discussions on the Marketing team channel start at this timestamp in the Make WordPress Slack. You can add to the threads if you were unable to attend the meeting live.
- Meeting Agenda for 10 August 2022.
- Meeting preparation and facilitation by Team Reps: @nalininonstopnewsuk, @eidolonnight, @lmurillom
- Meeting notes: @rmartinezduque.
- Notes Editor/Review: @nalininonstopnewsuk and @lmurillom
- For those new to the team, the New Contributor Orientation section of the Handbook can be a good place to start.
2. Getting to know each other
- Meeting attendees: participants list is in this Slack Thread.
- Social question of the week from @nalininonstopnewsuk: “As we come up to World Photography Day, do you have a favorite picture that always makes you smile? Remember you can submit photos to the WordPress Photo Directory too! Submit at https://wordpress.org/photos/submit/. I’ve submitted some, so can you!” View participants’ stories and photos via this Slack thread.
3. Notes and volunteer opportunities
Notetakers for coming weeks – join our group of contributors who help with notes by volunteering when you see a call for notetakers during our meetings, or by adding your name to the weekly GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ card.
- 10 August 2022 (GitHub card 98) – @rmartinezduque
- 17 August 2022 (GitHub card 97) – @ugyensupport
- 24 August 2022 (GitHub card 105)– Add your name to this Slack thread if you would like to volunteer.
We are always looking for contributors to open the virtual coffee shop for the bi-weekly coffee break. Check out the GitHub card and add your name to the list!
4. Project and task updates
4a. Social media
This GitHub issue 7 details how you can help share and amplify WordPress news on social media. You will also find a list of the primary WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ social accounts there. This is a good first task for new contributors. You can get started participating in our online conversations and/or contributing content to one of our active campaigns.
Relating to WordPress.org social channels, our numbers improved again this last week, and we had a great outlook across all coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. metrics. Overall, we excelled again with our net new followers as we improved to 1,364 followers across all platforms. In particular, LinkedIn peaked on Thursday and Friday with 177 new followers alone and drove some of the highest new followers over the week overall. Many of our campaigns including the WordPress 6.0 features campaign (2x), and the Photo Directory campaign scored high marks in some of our best examples throughout the week. Here is a look at some of the core numbers:
- Impressions: 322,760
- Engagements: 5,347
- Link clicks: 1,367
- Messages received: 37
4b. Forthcoming WordPress releases
Update via: @eidolonnight.
Thank you to @jpantani who is the new WordPress 6.1 Development Cycle Marketing & Communications Lead. He will be assisted by the 6.0 Marketing & Communications Lead @dansoschin. Please direct questions regarding the marketing of WordPress 6.1 and its features to @jpantani.
In case you missed it, the new WordPress.org design is well underway and will launch soon.
4c. Contributor events update
Update via: @eidolonnight.
If you will be attending Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. at WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. US (WCUS) this year, please visit GitHub issue 90 and let us know some of the things you would like to work on. @eidolonnight, @dansoschin, and @jpantani will be the table leads at WordCamp US this year, with @nalininonstopnewsuk supporting on Slack.
The Marketing Team will be running a WordCamp US Contributor Day pre-planning session next August 17, 2022, at 16:15 UTC (after the team weekly meeting). Marketing Team members and other Contributor Day attendees are welcome to join too.
4d. Newsletters, campaigns, and event updates
Update posted via: @nalininonstopnewsuk.
- Annual MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. Surveys: they are published! Please check the announcement post. There are two different surveys: the Annual Meetup Program Survey (for all WordPress meetup participants) and the Annual Meetup Organizer Survey (for all meetup organizers). In order to gather as many responses as possible, please read and share the post. If you are a meetup organizer, please share the Meetup Program Survey with your group and announce it at your next Meetup event. This year the surveys are available in 14 different languages! GitHub card 96.
- Meetup Reactivation Campaign: The Community Team is embarking on a global WordPress meetup reactivation project – if you’re available to help by reaching out to meetup organizers in your region, please read the post, and complete this form! Please note this is for both in-person and online meetups.
- Giving FSE a More User Friendly Name: In case you missed it, there are efforts underway to move away from “Full Site Editing” (FSE) in WordPress’ communications. Post by Josepha for more information.
- The July 2022 edition of the Month in WordPress was published on August 5, 2022. Thanks to all the people who contributed to this issue (they are listed at the end of the post). GitHub card 102 for the next edition.
5. Diary/Calendar dates
Our next coffee break will be Thursday 25 August 2022 at 18:30/6:30pm UTC and will be facilitated by @dansoschin. This bi-weekly social coffee break is held by the Make Marketing team for all WordPress Marketing contributors, and occasional guests. Stop by and meet some of the friendly faces marketing WordPress.
Follow this Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations, and social activities. We also list important dates in this Forthcoming Diary Dates post.
6. Open floor
@rmartinezduque highlighted that the WordPress Photo Directory project is organizing a photo challenge to celebrate World Photography Day (August 19). People will be asked to contribute photos from their local areas in accordance with the directory guidelines. More updates and opportunities to contribute will be added to GitHub card 80.
@nalininonstopnewsuk shared an update on the next major releaseMajor Release A set of releases or versions having the same major version number may be collectively referred to as “X.Y” -- for example version 5.2.x to refer to versions 5.2, 5.2.1, and all other versions in the 5.2. (five dot two dot) branch of that software. Major Releases often are the introduction of new major features and functionality., WordPress 6.1. The bug scrub schedule is out in case anyone from Marketing would like to participate or observe what is involved. Thanks to @audrasjb and @chaion07 for getting this out.