(Updated by @nalininonstopnewsuk on 8 August 2022)
If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.
Link to the start of the meeting on Marketing Slack to help with asynchronous contributions.
1. Welcome and introduction
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
2. Getting to know the team and helping to take part
- Meeting attendees: participants can be viewed in this Slack Thread
- Social question of the week: wildlife stories in the news. View participants’ responses via this Slack thread.
3. Notes and volunteer opportunities
Props to @majaloncar and @webcommsat for drafting July 20, 2022 notes.
Notetakers for coming weeks – you can join our group of contributors taking part in producing notes by volunteering when you see a call for note-takers during our meetings or by adding your name to the weekly GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ card.
We are always looking for contributors to open the virtual coffee shop for the bi-weekly coffee break. Check out the GitHub card and add your name to the list!
4. Marketing project and task updates
Update via @nalininonstopnewsuk
The main Marketing Team task board on GitHub.
If you would like specific assistance on using GitHub, please reply in this thread. There is help available! You can also contribute to wiki information we are working on with other teams
Continuing from last week, there are some tasks to highlight:
- Marketing Team descriptor in the Handbook – if you have any suggestions, please add them to GitHub card 87.
- Does anyone have updates on any of the other cards highlighted from last week?
Every week we review GitHub cards and help progress them. We also have a group of contributors available to help anyone get started with GitHub.I will be bringing cards that are awaiting updates to the meeting each week so we can help contributors share news and new contributors find how to update cards more easily. This week we have:
- For awareness, there are two exciting Meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. surveys coming out soon. The information is on GitHub card 96. @mysweetcate will be including something in the next Meetup Newsletter and @rmartinezduque for Month in WordPress. We will add the links to the card too. Thank you to @Julia from the Community Team for highlighting these surveys this week.
- Discussion: promoting mobile apps – card 93 – new. A summary from the slack thread will be added to this card later this week. So please have a look and add your ideas. Thank you @oglekler for starting this discussion off.
- @eidolonnight and @rmartinezduque would update the Performance Team for social media updates. on WordPress.org and add their details to card 52 as an update and if not can close this card
- A reminder from a request opened up by @EidolonNight two months ago. There is an open call (GitHub card) for brainstorming ideas that can be used to help generate contributor interest in marketing for WordPress.
This is currently on the WCEU 2022 GitHub card. Feel free to add suggestions there this week and we can create a new list in the discussion forum when we close that card.
4a. Social Media
Update via: @bjmcsherry
Slack thread link
Our GitHub issue details how you can help share and amplify WordPress news on social media. You will also find a list of the primary WordPress.org social accounts there. This is a good first task for new contributors. You can get started participating in our online conversations and/or contributing content to one of our active campaigns.
Overall, we had another great week this past week and continued to trend above seasonal averages when looking at overall net-new followers as a primary statistic. In fact, we actually improved our net new followers by over 1.4K (1,455). This was an increase of 43% over the previous week. This is well above where we have historically been in for a non-release window. Many of our campaigns including the ‘Website Redesign’, ‘WP Diversity’, and the ‘WordPress 6.0’ campaigns scored high marks in some of our best examples throughout the week.
Overall, the numbers for the week look like this:
- Impressions: 182,116
- Engagements: 4,757
- Link Clicks: 1,368
- Messages received: 19
4b. Forthcoming WordPress releases & FSE
Update via: @nalininonstopnewsuk
Slack thread link
WordPress 6.0.1 is now available. You can help highlight all the new features and fixes in WordPress by retweeting the social media posts tagged with #WordPress.
4c. Contributor events updates
Update via: @nalininonstopnewsuk
Slack thread link
If you have a ticket for WordCamp US 2022 and plan to attend the marketing table at Contributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/., please let us know by commenting on our github issue.
4d. Newsletters, campaigns and event updates
Update via: @lmurillom
Slack thread link
Meetup Reactivation campaign: The Community Team is embarking on a global WordPress Meetup reactivation project – if you’re available to help by reaching out to meetup organizers in your region, please read the post, and complete this form! Please note this is for both in-person and online meetups.
Polyglots July 2022 newsletter has been published! It includes a reminder of the Polyglots coffee break taking place tomorrow 28 July, latest stats, WordPress.org profile updates and more. Please read and share!
Month in WordPress July 2022: The expected publication date for the July 2022 edition of The Month in WordPress is Friday, August 5, 2022.
If you have any news or Make team updates that would be valuable and relevant to the post, please feel free to add them as a comment to the GitHub card (Card 84).
#GrowYourWordPress: @jpantani has noticed that engagement seems to be a bit higher with this campaign when it’s linked to Community (WordCamps), so tying it to similar initiatives is something to keep in mind as we promote it. Additionally, engagement seems better when the nudges are less frequent.
We’ve had a total of 11 submissions, and there are already quite a few good testimonials.
5. Diary dates – upcoming events and meetings
Our bi-weekly social coffee break is held by the Make Marketing team for all WordPress Marketing contributors, and occasional guests. Stop by and meet some of the friendly faces marketing WordPress. Follow this Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations, and social activities. We also list important dates in this Forthcoming Diary Dates post.
6. Open floor
@santanainniss would like to propose for consideration that the Meeting Notes follow the same outline as the Meeting agendas.
@nalininonstopnewsuk confirmed that they should follow the same. There are some updates pending on the meeting notes information in the handbook. These need to be updated together with this reference to the meeting agendas.