If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.
Link to the start of the meeting on Marketing Slack to help with async contributions.
1. Welcome and introduction
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
2. Getting to know the team and help to take part
- Meeting attendees: participants can be viewed in this Slack Thread
- Social question of the week: “Where is your favorite place to walk and is it somewhere that inspires your creativity?” View participants’ responses via this Slack thread.
3. Notes and volunteer opportunities
You can find a link to the notes from the last meeting on 4 May 2022, thank you @yashwardhanrana
Thank you to our notetaking volunteers for the next few weeks. Please note the guidelines for Notetaking are being updated in the Marketing Team Handbook.The GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ card for all aspects of each week’s meeting and any collaboration are linked below.
Please message @nalininonstopnewsuk in the channel if you are unsure how to add comments to the GitHub card. If you have suggestions for the agendas for these meetings, you can also add them to the card for the relevant week.
18 May 2022 – @vimes1984
25 May 2022 – @majaloncar
1 June 2022 – Any takers?
We are always looking for contributors to open the virtual coffee shop for the bi-weekly coffee break. Check out the GitHub card and add your name to the list! Thank you to @megphillips91 for opening last week’s coffee break.
4. Marketing project and task updates
4a. GitHub links
Update via: @webcommsat @nalininonstopnewsuk
Slack Thread Link
- You can find the Marketing Team task board on GitHub.
- The Marketing Team’s GitHub board has been designed to be viewable by anyone. This board now sits underneath the main WordPress organizational area of GitHub.
- To discover more about the workflow, how to participate and how to add comments or requests, please follow the instructions in the Slack thread. If you don’t have a GitHub account yet, or are new and need specific help, let @nalininonstopnewsuk know by replying in the thread.
- Thank you @webcommsat, @meher, @vimes1984, @marks99, the other team reps (Nicholas, Larissa and Nalini) and others who are supporting GitHub and providing help and testing when needed.
- Following an suggestion from @eidolonnight we are adding a new label for the meetings in the team to GitHub: ‘Meetings-prep’. This will mean you can filter Filters are one of the two types of Hooks https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Hooks. They provide a way for functions to modify data of other functions. They are the counterpart to Actions. Unlike Actions, filters are meant to work in an isolated manner, and should never have side effects such as affecting global variables and output. cards based on this label and contribute to the weekly planning and updates.
4b. Forthcoming WordPress Releases and FSE
Update via: @webcommsat @nalininonstopnewsuk
Slack thread link
4c. Newsletters, Campaigns and events updates
Update via: @lmurillom
Slack thread link
- Month in WordPress for April 2022 is out! The past month saw a lot of preparation work for WordPress 6.0, due for release on 24 May 2022. This major release A set of releases or versions having the same major version number may be collectively referred to as “X.Y” -- for example version 5.2.x to refer to versions 5.2, 5.2.1, and all other versions in the 5.2. (five dot two dot) branch of that software. Major Releases often are the introduction of new major features and functionality. brings exciting improvements – read it to find out more about them as well as the latest happenings in the WordPress project, including #WCEU, the latest FSE Call for Testing, Team Updates, and more. Please share!
- People of WordPress photo-editing guide – update from @webcommsat, @meher and @megphillips91 – photos are being followed up for the next few editions. A session is being planned potentially for next week to work out some of the practical steps needed for photo editors based on reviewing recent photos and the editing that has been needed.
4d. Contributor Events updates: Yoast WordPress Contributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. (May 13th) and WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Europe (June 2nd)
Update via: @yvettesonneveld
Slack thread link
- Last week, @jpantani shared some ideas for tasks that could be worked on during Contributor Day.
- There is an open call (GitHub card) for brainstorming ideas that can be used to help generate contributor interest in marketing for WordPress. Please leave your idea on the GitHub card or reply in the thread, and also leave a comment there if you plan to attend WCEU Contributor Day!
- @yvettesonneveld and @jpantani met last week to discuss ideas and will be adding updates to the GitHub card.
Other contributor events
- Contributor Day 13 May 2022 – hosted by Yoast · Issue #25 · WordPress/Marketing-Team (github.com). Yoast will be hosting a Contributor Day this Friday 13 May, and has collaborated with members of the marketing team to define the tasks and projects to be worked on.
- Does anyone know of any other contributor events coming up at WordCamps or Meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. groups?
5. Diary dates – upcoming events and meetings
Our next Coffee break will be Thursday 19 May 2022 at 18:30/ 6.30pm UTC, facilitated by @jpantani. This bi-weekly social coffee break is held by the Make Marketing team for all WordPress Marketing contributors, and occasional guests. Stop by and meet some of the friendly faces marketing WordPress.Follow this Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations, and social activities. We also list important dates in this Forthcoming Diary Dates post.
6. Open floor
It looks like there are no more updates, so we can close the meeting and continue to discuss individual items in their respective threads asynchronously.
A reminder you can get involved with the next meeting planning on this GitHub card for the meeting on 18 May 2022.
Thank you to @yvettesonneveld and @webcommsat for helping today too, and to my colleague team rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. @lmurillom.