Notes: Global Marketing Meeting 17 November 2021

If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.

Link to the start of the meeting on the Marketing Slack to help with async contributions.

1. Welcome, introduction

These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates. 

2. Contributors

  1. Attendees Slack Thread
  2. New people and returners to the channel

3. Meeting Notes

A. Last week notes

A reminder to those who have notes pending to please finish them up as soon as possible and let @lmurillom or @meher know in the main #marketing channel when they’re done. We are updating the P2P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. with notes that have had links that need updating or ones that need copying over from the google doc, including some older items left in the google doc due to Covid-issues. Thanks to everyone for stepping in to help with this. 

A reminder to check the draft notes (link to the doc can be found in this slack thread) that are circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed to help the team include everyone. 

We rely on this to update the final notes and to show where we need extra contributors and how we are having an impact on the work requested from other teams.

Rota for drafting notes:

B. Notes group recruitment

Contributor opportunity:

  • Would you like to help source the weekly agenda links and information from other teams? It is a great way to get to know what’s happening in the project and this information is also used for a number of marcomms purposes. We collate information in this rolling google doc (link in this slack thread).
  • We will be moving this to one document per meeting to overcome the problems some of our notetakers have had with which section they are updating. 
  • We will continue to keep all the documents in the Marketing Team drive in one subfolder per year so that we can search them easily as the P2 (blog) search doesn’t always return the right results.

Action:

  • Can someone help create the templates? We also need to overcome the problem of having to redo the formatting and links when items are copied to the P2.

C. GitHub

  • We are currently trialing a solution on GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ which could overcome the accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) and tech issues some of our contributors have with Google Sheets.
  • There are issues experienced with voice control and speaking browsers, using comments mode, IT experience with spreadsheet amongst contributors, deleting others items/ rows in error, some users finding it hard to have a separate document with instructions/ help and a google sheet, as well as internet tabs for playing any video content, etc. Sometimes the latter is due to bandwidth and hardware issues.
  • Google sheet works better in many ways and it is our predominant tool for things like this. But we had a significant issue with some contributors, including those contributing async, who could not access it.
  • So in the live collaborations during meetings, we have tried to extract items from the spreadsheet into google docs to enable greater involvement and inclusion. This does have a resource implication and operationally, we need to be using a spreadsheet if we can. It also allows better segmenting of items and linking macro updates.

Contributor opportunity:

  • Can someone help with this? Please let us know in the main #marketing slack channel

4. Updates relating to other Make Teams

a) Marketing

5. Learn WordPress social media collaboration task

Led by: @webcommsat 

Task: to draft social media posts for direct usage on channels we use and available to be adapted. Channels: Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.

  • We continued to draft social media posts for each of the workshops in this Google document (link can be found in this slack thread) for direct usage on social channels (Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn). 
  • Also drafted posts on the video workshops in the GitHub card for these three channels.
  • Identified any images that exist that could be resized and used, or which could be created if they would add value.
  • Searched on Google and Twitter etc for suitable tags and search phrases on that topic. The main tag we use is #LearnWP
  • Noted any issues on the workshops (check the ones noted in GitHub)

When we overcome the Google Sheets issue, we will return to using spreadsheets for these collaborations. 

Actions:

  • Please continue to add to the documents asynchronously. The Collaboration and links to the document are here on Slack.
  • If you have expertise in one of the workshop topics that are listed in the GitHub card, feel free to choose that to write social media copy.  
  • If you come across a workshop that is particularly suitable for the WordCamps audience, then please also draft a post for this audience in mind, and tag it for potential @WordCamps channels.
  • We want to make sure we are being inclusive so if you have accessibility issues that cannot be resolved, do let a team repTeam Rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. know and they can try and find a way to help.
  • We are currently trialing a solution on GitHub which could overcome the accessibility and Tech issues some of our contributors have with Google Sheets. If you can help with this, please contact @webcommsat or @nalininonstopnewsuk.

6. WordPresss 5.9

  • The About / Help page and text for social media (which will be based on the key sections as they emerge from the main pages) was discussed on Monday in CoreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. and there will be a check-in for the next two Mondays at the same time at 19:00 UTC.
  • Useful links on the GitHub Marketing to help those shadowing: About Page components sessions in Core (you can follow the discussions from Monday on the Slack – there are useful links in this GitHub issue.

7. Other Business

  • The Team Rep nominations draft post and questions on whether elections across Make will take place the same time next year and to confirm if reps’ terms will be for a year cycle are with Josepha. Once we get the go-ahead, we will publish. 
  • In the meantime, we continue to encourage people to use the draft as a guide for nominations and timetable. Please do let us know if you’re interested and want to chat about it. We also have an open session after the weekly meeting.
  • Thanks to those who commented and reviewed the social media promotions post. We also help posts like this will support the team rep nominations cycle and encourage contributors to get involved.

8. Diary dates

Update via: @OGlekler 

Next Marketing Meeting

Wednesday 24 November, 14:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack.

Does your task need some time in the future agenda? Contact @meher and @webcommsat in the #marketing channel on Slack.

➤ How to get started?

We have a number of new contributors shadowing at the moment. So please do let us know if you would like some help.

If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool and @yvettesonneveld for information on future Contributors On-boarding events.