If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.
Link to the start of the meeting on the Marketing Slack to help with an async contribution.
1. Welcome, introduction
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- Attendees Slack Thread
- New people and returners to the channel
3. Meeting Notes
A. Notes from Previous Meetings for Review
Thank you to @meher for drafting and publishing last week’s notes.
A reminder to those who have notes pending to please finish them up as soon as possible and let @lmurillom or @meher know in the main #marketing channel when they’re done.
We are updating the P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. with notes that have had links that need updating or ones that need copying over from the Google doc, including some older items. Thanks to everyone for stepping in to help with this.
A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed to help the team include everyone.
We rely on this to update the final notes and to show where we need extra contributors and how we are having an impact on the work requested from other teams.
B. Notes Group Recruitment
Action / Contributor opportunity:
- Would you like to help source the weekly agenda links and information from other teams. It is a great way to get to know what’s happening in the project.
Notetakers for coming weeks – join our group of contributors taking part in producing notes and updates
- GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ sessions on how to use this tool and to help those writing the how to material/ wiki are being planned.
- We are looking for a new date for the next practical session for GitHub, as the previous one clashed with school holidays and daylight savings changes.
- A new poll for a replacement date will be shared.
- This session will be focused on those new to using GitHub. You will need a GitHub account set up and available to use in the online video session.
- Please sign-up to help with training planning and feel free to dive in if you are comfortable and to let us know your preferred dates.
- We have kept the Marketing Team meeting at 14:00 UTC with the changes in daylight saving, as we had a low response on whether to keep our previous pattern of changing to 15:00 UTC as people have wanted in the past.
- Read more in the Slack thread.
4. Updates relating to other Make Teams
For awareness and potential promotions. Many of these links will be useful for work on marcomms for 5.9.
b) Design team
- As the development of the Gutenberg editor progresses, new features are being considered in how they can be intuitive for users and support their workflows.
- If you use the Gutenberg editor regularly, please read this article and share your thoughts
- WPDiversity – the next events and the promotions can be found on the GitHub card
- Month in WordPress, October 2021 draft – this is due to be finalized today. Thanks to those who have already reviewed items. We have a few more items to add for marketing later today.
- Meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. Organizer newsletter, November 2021 – deadline 30th November
- You will find the tasks for items like this on our GitHub in the rolling tasks card
Action / Contributor opportunity:
e) Training Team, cross-working with Marketing and Learn.WordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/
Action / Contributor opportunity:
- To get involved with social media preparation for these workshops
- Learn WordPress social media preparation – If writing microcontent for social media is making your heart sing, please give us a shout. We are currently working on this to help promote the many workshops and courses on the Learn platform. If you want to volunteer for this task, do let us know in this Slack thread.
5) Collaboration / discussions
- The next update post from Marketing – as in previous updates, we welcome suggestions for items in the draft (the document link is there in this slack thread) to be included in this and our yearly report on activities. Please add suggestions, particularly anyone who has been leading or co-ordinating task activities.
- We would like this to be up this week to help in our team reps recruitment and support the next induction sessions.
- We would love to have any questions for what else people might need to know so that we can get this published soon too. We particularly want feedback on the draft timetable.
- The Team Rep Nomination post has been published. Do give it a read.
- Reaching extenders: test PHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php. changes. We will be discussing how to best help extenders make their test suites compatible with the modernization of the WordPress Core PHP Test Suites and drafting potential communications/ social copy. Link to working document in Slack. We will come back to this in two weeks. Thanks for all the questions, we will need to take these to Tonya and come back.
6) Contributor Ladder
- We have had a number of follow up questions from the Contributor Ladder Workshop, regarding the level of impact of each task, allowing volunteers to contribute asynchronously, and setting a date to present the results of the workshop to the wider team.
- See the discussion on Slack.
- Do leave your comments on the contributor ladder post.
7) Diary dates
Update via: @OGlekler
Next Marketing Meeting
Wednesday 10 November, 14:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack.
Does your task need some time in the future agenda? Contact @meher and @webcommsat in the #marketing channel on Slack.
➤ How to get started?
We have a number of new contributors shadowing at the moment. So please do let us know if you would like some help.
If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool and @yvettesonneveld for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.