If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.
Link to the start of the meeting on the Marketing Slack to help with an async contribution.
1. Welcome, introduction
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- Attendees Slack Thread
- New people and returners to the channel
3. Meeting Notes & Follow ups
A. Last week notes
Thanks to @ugyensupport who drafted last week’s notes.
A reminder to those who have notes pending to please finish them up as soon as possible and let @lmurillom or @meher know in the main #marketing channel when they’re done. We are updating the P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. with notes that have had links that need updating or ones that need copying over from the google doc, including some older items left in the google doc due to Covid-issues. Thanks to everyone for stepping in to help with this.
A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed to help the team include everyone.
We rely on this to update the final notes and to show where we need extra contributors and how we are having an impact on the work requested from other teams.
Rota for drafting notes:
B. Notes group recruitment
- Would you like to help source the weekly agenda links and information from other teams? It is a great way to get to know what’s happening in the project.
- You can also join our group of contributors taking part in producing notes and updates.
- You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings, please contact @lmurillom and @meher.
- Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed.
- After every meeting, we now add a link to the Slack meeting at the top of the weekly agenda on the P2 (make Marketing Team blog).
C. GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/
- A new date and time for the GitHub session will be announced in the coming week.
4. Updates relating to other Make Teams
- Last week Nicholas shared a post on the Marketing P2 about the Contributor Ladder Workshop with Josepha and Chloé.
- Do read this post.
- If you have any suggestions feel free to add a comment on it.
B) Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. (including releases, FSE, Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/, Test)
- Bug scrub for the About / Help page: Monday 7pm UTC in core.
- This will be our fourth scrub in this area.
- Thanks to everyone who came this week from marketing to learn more about tickets and bug scrubs too.
- Thanks too to Mary Baum, Jb Audras, Nalini Thakor and Colin Stewart who were also around at this week’s scrub and helped explain terminology, all much appreciated to help contributors wanting to shadow and get more involved with tickets.
- Reference card for those from the marketing team
- WordPress Translation Day – will catch up with Erica Varlese next week as it has some volunteers to help with follow-ups.
- We also have a draft of dates to share with Erica and others.
- Thanks to all those who have volunteered.
- Thanks to @lmurillom for working on subtitling one of the livestreams.
Update via: Hauwa Abashiya
- Documentation Sprint for the Deputy Program
- Contribute2WP with WP Engine
- A8C will be running the Doc Sprint from 10-12 November and the Contribute2WP with WP Engine will run over this weekend from Friday until Sunday.
- The following video workshops this month:
- Managing Spam on Your Website
- Best Practices for Capturing Images
- Customer Taglines
- How to Create a Post or Page with the WordPress Block Editor
- Managing Settings: Writing
- How to Submit a Workshop
- Using the Block Widget Editor
- Managing Settings: Reading
- How to Submit a Lesson Plan
5) Any other Marketing Team Business
A) People Of WordPress
- People of WordPress for October: the next feature is aimed to go live on 29/30 of October. It’s in the final checks stage.
- Thanks to everyone for comments, final ones will be collated today.
- The GitHub board for the series is being updated as we link those who have volunteered to help on the series so far.
- Thanks to Chloé Bringmann for checking on the various updates over the last few weeks.
- Please share the link to People of WordPress: Ronald Gijsel
- If anyone else who is an experienced journalist, copywriter or editor would like to be involved in this series, please get in touch with @webcommsat or reply to this thread.
6) Diary dates
Update via: Olga
Next Marketing meeting
Wednesday 3 Nov 2021, 14:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack.
Does your task need some time in the future agenda? Contact @meher and @webcommsat in the #marketing channel on Slack.
➤ How to get started?
We have a number of new contributors shadowing at the moment. So please do let us know if you would like some help.
If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool and @yvettesonneveld for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.