If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.
1. Welcome, Introduction
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- Attendees Slack Thread
- New people and returners to the channel
3. Meeting Notes
A. Last week notes
Thanks to @lmurillom who drafted last week’s notes.
A reminder to those who have notes pending to please finish them up as soon as possible and let @lmurillom or @meher know in the main #marketing channel when they’re done. We are updating the P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. with notes that have had links that need updating or ones that need copying over from the google doc, including some older items left in the google doc due to Covid-issues. Thanks to everyone for stepping in to help with this.
A reminder to check the draft notes (link can be found in this slack thread) is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed to help the team include everyone.
We rely on this to update the final notes and to show where we need extra contributors and how we are having an impact on the work requested from other teams.
Rota for drafting notes:
B. Notes group recruitment
- Would you like to help source the weekly agenda links and information from other teams? It is a great way to get to know what’s happening in the project.
- You can also join our group of contributors taking part in producing notes and updates.
- You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings, please contact @lmurillom and @meher.
- Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed.
- After every meeting, we now add a link to the Slack meeting at the top of the weekly agenda on the P2 (make Marketing Team blog).
C. GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/
- Tasks are moving and being updated on this tool, and you can start following and interacting with them there.
- Thanks to everyone who came to the introductory session to GitHub.
- Sessions on how to use this tool and to help those writing the how to material/wiki are being planned. The next session will be on
27 October 2021, 17:15 UTC [Apologies, this will be rescheduled in November due to feedback with the clash with school holidays and in the week of changes with daylight saving. A new poll for a replacement date will be shared.]
- Let us know if you would like to be involved with the wiki writing we are doing to help contributors.
- You don’t have to be a developer to get involved. So please volunteer.
- We have roles for developers too.
4. Updates relating to other Make Teams
A. Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. (including releases, FSE, Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/, Test)
Update via: @annezazu, @webcommsat
Update via: @harishanker, @EidolonNight
- There is a new workflow for reporting issues, using a GitHub Repository.
- You can get more details in the announcement.
- We hope to do a collaboration session on this with Documentation, in response to requests from new contributors.
- If you are interested in helping set up this collaboration, please let the team know in the main #marketing channel in Slack.
4d) Polyglot-related marketing
Update via: @erica, @webcommsat
4e) Training team updates for marcomms
Update via: @azhiyadev
5. Collaboration / Discussion
Facilitators/ support to new contributors: @lmurillom, @vimes1984, @webcommsat, @yvettesonneveld, @nalininonstopnewsuk, @meher
Tasks: Reaching extenders: test PHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php. changes. Thanks to @vimes1984 @webcommsat and @marybaum for preparing this collaboration. We will be discussing how to best help extenders make their test suites compatible with the modernization of the WordPress Core PHP Test Suites and drafting potential communications/ social copy.
The link to the document can be found in this slack thread.
Information shared by @vimes1984:
- a “unit test” is what developers use to test there codes in an automated way
- an “extender” broadly speaking refers to people who extend WordPress functionality by developing plugins / themes
- to collaborate you need to go to the doc and remove “DELETE THIS TEXT AND FILL IN THIS CELL WITH YOUR IDEA” then put in how you would encourage an extender to unit test OR adopt news standards
6) Any other Marketing Team Business
6a) People of WordPress
- If anyone else who is an experienced journalist, copywriter or editor would like to be involved in this series, please get in touch with @webcommsat or reply to this thread.
Thanks as always for following and sharing. Please engage with:
- The Marketing and Training teams had a great session at the Yoast Contributor Day focused on Learn WordPress.
- Contributors assisted in preparing social media posts regarding the content on Learn WordPress, and had a great discussion on the support for SEO planning around the content on Learn WordPress.
- Thanks to Yoast for hosting and to everyone that participated: @yvettesonneveld, @webcommsat, @courane01, @azhiyadev, @nalininonstopnewsuk, @vimes1984, @poena, Lotte Janssen, Amy Lees, Sam Alderson, Sabrina Joest.
- Thanks to @azhiyadev for the update and over to @yvettesonneveld for any additional recap and to schedule the follow up on the documents that were started at Yoast Contributor Day.
- @yvettesonneveld mentioned that Yoast Core team will post a recap article, but if you want to get a feel for the vibe, take a look at this tweet.
- Next week’s Marketing Team collaboration, 20 October 2021, will continue the social media promotions on Learn WordPress
6d) Bug Scrub on About page / Help Page
7) Diary dates
Update via: @OGlekler
Next Marketing Meeting
Wednesday 20 Oct 2021, 14:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack.
Does your task need some time in the future agenda? Contact @meher and @webcommsat in the #marketing channel on Slack.
➤ How to get started?
We have a number of new contributors shadowing at the moment. So please do let us know if you would like some help.
If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool and @yvettesonneveld for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.