The meeting will start at 14:00 UTC in the marketing channel on the Make WordPress Slack.
We include more detail and links in our agenda posts to help those who want to contribute further to the meeting in their own timezone. It also helps provide more time in meetings for collaboration work and an easier point of reference for the links. After the meeting, a link to the Slack meeting is added to this agenda to support asynchronous contribution in the 48 hours after the weekly live session.
- (i) Attendance – who is with us? (ii) Welcoming new people, returners and visitors to the channel
Get involved information
Setting up Make WordPress Slack and WordPress.org accounts
- Follow-ups, note taker recruitment, actions
a) Notes links for review – 29 September 2021 (Google docs link will be re-shared in the meeting
Previous notes: 22 September 2021, 15 September 2021, 8 September 2021
b) Admin recruitment – Would you like to help with the weekly agenda links? Let us know in the Marketing Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. It is a great way to get to know what’s happening in the project. We continue to recruit notetakers. Come and chat about how you can join the rotas.
c) GitHub – thanks to everyone who came to the introduction to GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ repositories and updates from the testing and pilots, the background to how we arrived at using GitHub, and our tools for our new contributors. Further sessions will be announced for October and November. The form continues to be available for expressions of interest for future sessions and to help identify attendees’ familiarity with GitHub.
- Updates relating to other Make Teams
- Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress.-related items (including releases, FSE, Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/)
- Request from the Test team: support extenders make their test suites compatible with the modernization of the WordPress Core PHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php. Test Suites. What the changes mean and step-by-step instructions are available at: Changes to the WordPress Core PHP Test Suite (27 September). @marybaum will help facilitate this during the meeting to help those unfamiliar with this area of testing: how can we help extenders find out about this including drafting social media copy. Volunteer opportunity: to help facilitate ideas on this, please do volunteer.
- For awareness:
- Community Team
- Month in WordPress for September 2021
- Deadline for the Meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. newsletter – next deadline for marketing, 11 October 2021
- For information:
- Documentation Team: new workflow for reporting issues, using a new GitHub Repository
- Polyglot-related marketing: WordPress Translation Day 2021 running from September
- Volunteers needed: working with photos and text for the follow-up stories
- Training Team, cross-working with Marketing and LearnWordPress.org
- Collaboration/ Discussion
- Any other Marketing Team business
- Diary Dates
Help during meetings
If you need accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We will try and find ways to help. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
Weekly agenda planning
If your Make Team is working or planning something that could be shared with Marketing or have a follow-up, please let us know in the Make WordPress Slack channel on a Monday. We will be shortly sharing a new form to help teams log forthcoming interview requests.
To take part in the follow-ups and agenda planning, please share your interest in the Make WordPress Marketing Slack. You can also follow agenda planning in this developing Rolling Tasks board on the Marketing Team’s GitHub.
#learnwp, #marketing, #marketing-team