The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
Thanks to @femkreations for stepping in to do these notes.
If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.
1. Welcome & introduction
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- The meeting discussions on the Marketing team on Slack can be found at this Slack thread
- Meeting Agenda
- Meeting led by: @webcommsat and @majaloncar
- Meeting notes: @femkreations
- Proofread: @webcommsat
- Follow up actions: projects and actions group, Task co-ordinators
- Get involved information
- Setting up Make WordPress Slack and WordPress.org accounts
- Examples of starter tasks
- Section ‘Get started’ on GitHub
3. Meeting Notes
A. Last week notes
You will find the latest notes in our Notes Document for review. Thank you @yashwardhanrana for working on last week’s notes, and a reminder to those who have notes pending to please finish them up as soon as possible and let @lmurillom or @meher know when they’re done.
Rota for drafting notes:
- 29 September 2021: @maedahbatool (@femkreations step in to getting these notes done)
- 6 October 2021: @lmurillom
B. Notes group recruitment
- You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings, please contact @lmurillom and @meher.
- Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed.
After every meeting, we now add a link to the Slack meeting at the top of the weekly agenda on the P2P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. (make Marketing Team blog).
C. GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/
We are moving tasks to this tool, and you can start following and taking part on GitHub.
Thanks to everyone who came to the introduction to GitHub repositories and updates from the testing and pilots, the background to how we arrived at using GitHub, and our tools for our new contributors. Further sessions will be announced for October and November. [Post meeting: 27 October 2021 will be a training session for users completely new to WordPress, please set up a GitHub username to use on the platform in advance]
The form continues to be available for expressions of interest for future sessions and to help identify attendees’ familiarity with GitHub.
Thanks to @tantienhime, @femkreations, and everyone who volunteered for your ongoing interest. We are flat out with the migrationMigration Moving the code, database and media files for a website site from one server to another. Most typically done when changing hosting companies., diversity, and WPTD too at the moment, but your efforts are all appreciated
4. Updates relating to other Make Teams
A. CoreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. (including releases, FSE)
Update from: @majaloncar
- Ideas slot: 5.8 and minor releases: social media amplification pack further promotion opportunities and updating.
We have had lots of ideas on the document about cross-promoting the social media amplification pack for 5.8 and for future promotions. Thank you to everyone who submitted the items. Currently, the main places the social media amplification pack are promoted are:
- The release leads group on Slack
- The Core channel and devchat
- Meetups newsletter and Month in WordPress
- The release news story
- Social media channels
- Blog posts
It has been suggested we also promote it on:
- Testing locations with a specific section in the pack on testing and encouragement of testing
If you have any ideas, please share them in Slack.
- Request from the Testing team: support extenders make their test suites compatible with the modernization of the WordPress Core PHPPHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php. Test Suites. What the changes mean and step-by-step instructions are available at: Changes to the WordPress Core PHP Test Suite (27 September).
We will be exploring this request next. The post does take a little time to read, so please do feel free to come back and add your thoughts to this later on.
We will share the GitHub card for this task in the thread too so you can contribute ideas for how we can help share this information with those who will be affected by the change.
- For awareness:
- Roadmap for 5.8 minor releases; Announcement of 5.8.1 release (9 September)
- 5.9 planning round-up (3 September)
- Implementing a webfonts API in WordPress core (29 September)
- Creating the widget group block (22 September)
- What’s next in Gutenberg? (Mid-September 2021)
- Discussion from the AccessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) Team on improving the contrast accessibility warning in the BlockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. Editor – GitHub issue
- For action:
- Month in WordPress – publication 4 October 2021, deadline 2 October
- Deadline for MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. newsletter – next deadline for marketing, 11 October 2021. @harishanker to share the draft for Month in WordPress.
- We have a WordPress Translation Day update drafted and can help with the WPDiversity update once the key messaging is in.
- If anyone has identified items which could be included in these two newsletters, please let us know in Slack or on the Marketing Team’s GitHub rolling tasks board which have entries for these newsletters.
- For information:
C. Design Team
Internal user information: proposed changes to the P2 Make Team blogs (16 September 2021)
D. Documentation Team
New workflow for reporting issues, using a new GitHub Repository
E. Polyglot-related marketing: WordPress Translation Day running from 1 to 30 September 2021
- WordPress Translation Day concludes on 30 September 2021 and has been running throughout September.
- Please share the messages and in particular the livestream. We are also encouraging translators and local organizers to download the badges on the WPTranslationDay website and show them on their social profiles for the United Nations’ International Translation Day
- WPTD Twitter updates, WP Translation Day Facebook , WPTranslationDay on Instagram
- Livestream of the finale event on 30 September 2021, 16:00 UTC [October 2021 update – this is currently being edited for WPTV and a longer version with subtitles will be published on YouTube too]
- It will be followed by an after party celebration for anyone who has taken part in the event or is a translator for the project. Please RSVP
- Sign-up for the new Polyglots Monthly Newsletter!
F. Training team and LearnWP related to marketing communications
Update via: @courane01
- The Training Team and contributors from other teams will come together on 29 September 2021, 10:00 UTC to translate content on LearnWP [UPDATE: this has now taken place]
- Learn WordPress Needs Assessment Results – the Marketing Team meeting next week, 6 October 2021, will include a collaboration on this.
- Should Learn WordPress contributors be GPL compliant? – discussion on LearnWP
- Preparing Slack for WordPress Updates – information post. Marketing and Training will be exploring this further and the potential use of tools in a session provisionally planned for October/ November
- A follow-up meeting is also in the planning for a Marketing Team meeting in October/ November on information flow to Marketing relating to workshops and Learn WordPress materials
- Proposal for ensuring high quality video contributions to LearnWP
- A google document was used for the discussion.
6. Any other Marketing Team business
a) Contributing ladder
A follow-up workshop is being finalized for October, and after that further details will be shared about the next steps. If you have been contributing to the team in many areas over time, and feel you can give several hours during the next few weeks to attend and help complete the follow-up work, please do let us know.
You can read about the details and background of the workshop on GitHub.
We are reviewing and recruiting a sub-group who can give dedicated time to the Showcase updates from Marketing. @harryjackson1221, who is leading on this, is keen to build a group who can give several hours weekly to this task during the next six months and attend regular update meetings.
Details relating to Showcase can be found on the GitHub card
c) Onboarding videos
Update from: @oglekler
@oglekler will be adding an update to this task area and a link to the social media draft posts.
d) People of WordPress
- September’s will be published today
- We have not heard from a number of contributors who have volunteered for this series. Really grateful if you could let us know how you are getting on and any difficulties, so we can update the schedule. If anyone else who is an experienced journalist, copy-writer or editor, would like to be involved in this series, please get in touch.
e) Social Media Promotions (#WPDiversity, #WPTranslationDay, #OnlineWPMeetup)
Update from: @lmurillom
Thanks to everyone who shared social posts this and last week, including Meetups and #WPDiversity! You can find updates on GitHub in the Rolling Tasks repository and on the Meetups and Polyglots repositories. Thanks to @yvettesonneveld who has been working on Twitter copy for Meetup promotions, and to @vimes1984 for promoting our LinkedIn page!
- Please engage with and share:
- Please follow the @wordpressevents Twitter account
Task volunteers call:
You can join the task groups working on these. Mention @lmurillom in the channel if you would like to volunteer and have experience of writing social media for an organization or campaigns on different channels. Photo editing skills are also needed.
7. Diary dates
Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post.
- There is a public WordPress Marketing Team calendar you can also subscribe to.
- Coffee breaks resumes this week on 30 September 2021, at the new time of 18:30 UTC
- 6 October 2021 – Marketing and Training Team collaboration on wording following the Learn WordPress Needs Assessment