The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.
Help info for new contributors – For actions listed below, some of the items go direct to the discussion on Slack. If you are having problems with accessing Slack, you can add your interest in volunteering on this post. There are also videos to help you set up a Slack account to contribute to WordPress.
1. Welcome, introduction
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- The meeting discussions on the Marketing team on Slack can be found at this Slack thread
- Meeting Agenda
- Meeting preparations: @webcommsat @lmurillom
- Meeting facilitated by: @maedahbatool @yvettesonneveld @meher
- Meeting notes: @femkreations
- Proofread notes: @lmurillom @meher
- Follow up actions: projects and actions group and task co-ordinators
- Attendees Slack Thread
- New people and returners to the channel slack thread
3. Meeting Notes
a. Latest Notes
Notes are published on the Marketing Team blog. Team members can also check the draft each week in our Notes Document for review on our Google Drive. Thank you @majaloncar for working on last week’s notes.
Rota for drafting notes:
b. Notes group recruitment
- You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings, please contact @lmurillom and @meher.
- Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed.
After every meeting, we now add a link to the Slack meeting at the top of the weekly agenda on the P2P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. ( Make Marketing Team blog).
C. GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/
We are moving tasks to this tool, and you can start following them there. @vimes1984 and @webcommsat will be doing a demo of the key areas, the results of the pilot, and background for new contributors on the tools and how we reached the new setup.
All are welcome to attend on 17 September 2021 at 4.00 pm / 16:00 UTC. Please let us know if you will be joining and your familiarity with GitHub to help prepare the live session, by filling out the signup form shared on Slack. [Update]: Session completed.
D. AccessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) support
If you need accessibility or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We will try and find ways to help. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
4. Updates relating to other Make Teams
Update via: @milana_cap
- The Documentation team has a new workflow for reporting issues with documentation. Any and all issues go to their new GitHub repository. Check it out!
- They hope to make the Getting Involved process easier with this move.
B. CoreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. (including releases, FSE)
- Join the FSE Hallway Hangout on 16 September 2021 at 4.00pm UTC to talk about adoption pathways for Full Site Editing (approaches folks have taken, blockers, successes, etc), and check out the recording of last week’s Hangout, which focused on FSE Issues/PRs/designs.
- Share your wish list-like items for block theme switching.
- Local events: 16 Local events have been submitted so far, and 5 of them are scheduled for this week for various locales.
- WPTD social for local events and local organizer badges/ nominations. Please add your nomination to this form and deadline for this is 30 Sep 2021
- If you are running a translation event, please share photos so we can use them for promotions. Please get permission from everyone present before taking the photo.
- For WordPress Translation Day 2021, we will host global events from 17 September to 30 September 2021. These events will be held in English, and anyone is welcome. Please read the Global Events post for more details.
- All the global events will be streamed on YouTube, and @webcommsat and @evarlese will be part of the sessions. Thanks to everyone involved in making these happen and those running the green room.
- Please follow the WPTranslation Day social accounts to get updates on all the events: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram
Update via: @courane01
The Training team continues to seeking additional help as the team grows:
- Welcome and Support Flow Wranglers. Would you like to help new team members during the meeting get access to write recap notes? Answer form inboxes? Please reply to the Slack thread if you’d like to volunteer.
- Badges & learner achievements for courses – still open for comments, leave yours!
- WP Translation Days. On Sept 29 at 10.00am UTC, the Training team will come together to translate content on LearnWP – join in. Thanks to @webtechpooja, 85% of LearnWP site functionality is translated to Hindi!
- Automattic sponsored a UXUX UX is an acronym for User Experience - the way the user uses the UI. Think ‘what they are doing’ and less about how they do it. audit on LearnWP recently. The results are in! Please leave feedback or comments on the post. The Marketing team will collaborate with Training on copy regarding some terms.
- WPDiversity: The video recordings “Creating a Welcoming and Diverse Space” Part 1 and Part 2 from the Allyship workshop are available online for you to watch on your own time.
- The Community team is looking for some fresh Tuesday Trainings content, and volunteers to write posts. If you’re not familiar with the series, please take a look at past Tuesday Trainings posts and if you’re interested, reply to the Slack thread.
a. Social Media Promotions
Update via: @lmurillom
Thank you to those who amplified the posts we’ve put up on social media in the past week!
- Please engage with and share:
6. Diary dates
Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post.
Please note that we are changing the coffee break timing.
5 people respond to the change of time for the coffee break.
Taking that into consideration we are going to go ahead and have our coffee breaks on the second and last Thursday of the month each month at 18.30 UTC.