If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.
Help info for new contributors – For actions listed below, some of the items go direct to the discussion on Slack. If you are having problems with accessing Slack, you can add your interest in volunteering on this post. There are also videos to help you set up a Slack account to contribute to WordPress.
1. Welcome, Introduction
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
Get involved – starter tasks for new and returning contributors, and those who have pledged to support the team and need assistance to get started.
- Attendees Slack Thread
- New people and returners to the channel
3. Meeting Notes
a. Notes links for review
Last week’s notes can be read on this P2 post. Thank you @OGlekler for working on last week’s notes, and a reminder to those who have notes pending to please finish them up as soon as possible and let @lmurillom or @meher know when they’re done.
Rota for drafting notes:
b. Notes group recruitment
- You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings, please contact @lmurillom and @meher.
- Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed.
- After every meeting, we now add a link to the Slack meeting at the top of the weekly agenda on the p2 (make Marketing Team blog).
Update from: @meher
- We are moving tasks from Trello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. to this GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/, and you can start following them there. There will be a demo on 17 September 2021 at 16:00 UTC.
- We will be running the session live in response to feedback from contributors about the type of help they would like. Please register using this form to attend this session.
- We need testers and people who can write usage documents for the wiki. Please reply in this slack thread.
- If you are more familiar with tasks in the team or have been facilitating a task, can you help with the migration Moving the code, database and media files for a website site from one server to another. Most typically done when changing hosting companies. of the files to GitHub and set up ‘how-to’ information? Please reply in the thread.
If you need accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We will try and find ways to help. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
4. Updates relating to other Make Teams
Update from: @milana_cap
- Docs has a new way for reporting issues with docs. @milana_cap will publish a post about it so it can be shared with other teams.
B. Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. (including releases, FSE)
Update from: @annezazu and @webcommsat
Update from: @webcommsat, @webtechpooja @nalininonstopnewsuk
- WordPress Translation Day runs from 1 to 30 September 2021
- Call for Nominations
- Call for Local Event organisers
- Local mini-events for #WPTranslationDay are being added to this page
- Global events for WordPress Translation Day
- An email campaign to raise awareness amongst Meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. organizers has been sent.
Update from: @azhiyadev
Update from: @webcommsat @jillbinder @dansoschin
5. Any other Marketing Team business
Update from: @oglekler
- If you can help with a language that is not in this playlist, contact @oglekler to find out how to get started contributing in your own language.
Update from: @lmurillom
- Thank you to those who amplified the posts we’ve put up on social media in the past week!
- If you have a couple of hours in the next week to help with social media posts on WordPress Translation Day, please let @lmurillom and @nalininonstopnewsuk know.
- Please follow the WPTranslation Day social accounts to get updates on all the events:
- Please engage with and share:
C. Contributor Ladder/ Journey
Update from: @webcommsat
- The Team reps and projects and actions group have a collaboration session with the new sponsored contributors from Automattic next week.
- If you are new to the team and would like to join one of the team’s introductory or collaboration sessions,please let us know in this slack thread, and we will share dates of future events with you.
- The contributor ladder/ journey working document is in GitHub in the Mapping board. Please do add your comments.
6. Diary dates
Please note this week there will be no coffee break as we are reviewing everyone’s preferred dates and times.
Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post.
A reminder about our Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations, and social activities.
Thank you to @webcommsat for facilitating the meeting and everyone who attended.