If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.
1. Welcome, introduction
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- The meeting discussions on the Marketing team on Slack can be found at this Slack thread
- Meeting Agenda
- Meeting led / facilitated by: @webcommsat, @meher, @lmurillom, @nalininonstopnewsuk
- Meeting notes: @oglekler, @lmurillom and @meher
- Follow up actions: projects and actions group
Get involved – starter tasks for new and returning contributors, and those who have pledged to support the team and need assistance to get started.
- Attendees Slack Thread
- New people and returners to the channel.
- Welcome message can be found on this thread.
- Get involved information
- Setting up Make WordPress Slack and WordPress.org accounts
- Examples of starter tasks
- Section ‘Get started’ on GitHub
3. Meeting Notes
3a. You will find the latest notes in our Notes Document for review. The link to the document can be found in this slack thread.
Thank you @ugyen for working on last week’s notes, and a reminder to those who have notes pending to please finish them up as soon as possible and let @lmurillom or @meher know when they’re done.
If you need accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We will try and find ways to help. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
Rota for drafting notes:
8 September 2021: @majaloncar
15 September 2021 @femkreations
3b. Notes group recruitment / Action
- You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings, please contact @lmurillom and @meher in this slack thread
- Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed
After every meeting, we now add a link to the start of the meeting in slack at the top of the weekly agenda on the P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. – MakeWordPres Marketing Team blog.
We are moving tasks to this tool, and you can start following them there. There will be a demo in September 2021. More details with date and time to be announced soon.
Thank you to @tantienhime, @arpitgshah, and @femkreations who volunteered to join tasks in this area.
4. Updates relating to other Make Teams
1. Community updates
- Thanks to everyone who reshared #WPDiversity updates.
- The Month in WordPress will be published on 2 September 2021.
- The Month in WordPress has been published, please read it at this link.
- WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. US will take place online this year, on Friday, October 1 2021. Tickets are free and available on the WCUS site
2. Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. (including releases, FSE) updates
- Social media amplification pack for WordPress Release 5.8. @cbringmann or @harishanker just following up if the link to the pack was added to the 5.8 new page.
- Fill this form for, Informal media monitoring and How do you search for WordPress Release Information
- Tell us what’s your favorite feature for 5.8
- WordPress 5.8.1 RC A beta version of software with the potential to be a final product, which is ready to release unless significant bugs emerge. day is today, September 1, 2021.
- Resharing @annezazu post from FSE channel – The monthly block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. theme meeting in #themereview will take place on September 1, 2021 at 16:00 UTC. More information can be found in this slack thread.
3. Polyglot-related marketing updates
4. Training team updates
5. WPTranslationDay collaboration opportunity
- If you have a couple of hours in the next week to help with social media posts on this, please let @lmurillom and @Nalininonstopnewsuk know in this slack thread.
- WordPress Translation Day, which takes place across September 2021, is using a different slack this year. We will need to make the spreadsheets etc available to any additional collaborators joining us from marketing.
- Please follow the WPTranslation day social accounts to get updates on all the events: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram.
- Please Share, Retweet and Like the posts directly from the official channels, instead of copy-pasting the text and publishing as a new post. You can also add your own message when you share so we can get a variety of posts. Thanks!
- Email drafts from @EidolonNight @erica and @harishanker for an email campaign on WPTranslationDay for feedback can be found in this slack thread. UPDATE: this has been now completed.
6. Any other Marketing Team business
a. Onboarding videos
Update from the task group via @meher
- Thank you to @webtechpooja for helping in adding the transcript for the Hindi onboarding video.
b. Any Other Business
- If anyone has any update on their task which they are working on, please do let the team know in this slack thread or in the main channel of threads are difficult.
7. Diary dates
Please note this week there will be no coffee break as we are reviewing its dates and times.
If you have still not selected your preferred time slot please do submit this form. The last day for submission is 6 September 2021.
Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post.
A reminder about our Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations, and social activities.
Thank you to @webcommsat @nalininonstopnewsuk and @lmurillom for facilitating the meeting and everyone who attended.