The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.
1. Welcome, introduction
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- The meeting discussions on the Marketing team on Slack can be found at this Slack thread
- Meeting agenda
- Meeting led by: @lmurillom and @vimes1984
- Meeting notes: @ugyensupport and @meher
- Proofread: @meher, @webcommsat
- Meeting Preparation: @webcommsat
- Follow up actions: projects and actions group
2. Contributors New and Returning
The links below are to the Marketing Slack.
3a) Meeting Notes
A big thanks to everyone for coordinating and editing drafts from past meeting notes which will be up shortly in the P2P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/.. As a few people are on personal holidays and others are unwell due to Covid, we are a little behind on Notes and will post updates in the coming weeks.
Thank you to @yvettesonneveld who is working on drafting last week’s notes.
A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations where you have actively contributed. We rely on this to update the final notes and to put into our charts to show where we need extra contributors, and how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned/requested from other teams.
Rota for drafting notes:
3b) Notes group recruitment
- If you would like to contribute by preparing notes for future meetings, please contact @lmurillom and/or @meher.
- Initial draft deadline: Friday 17:00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed.
- We are excited to continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!
3c) GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/
- We are moving tasks to this tool, and you can start following them there.
- @vimes1984 and @webcommsat will be doing a demo showing what we have been building with your feedback, and the issues it is hoped to help solve. This live demo will be in September 2021.
4. Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration
4a) Community – WPDiversity
- Thank you to those who amplified the #WPDiversity Allyship event and Online Meetups on social.
- There is another Diversity Workshop this Friday, from 5.00PM – 6.30PM UTC which we’re currently promoting.
- There is a Mega MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. tomorrow, which will cover topics like Developing for the BlockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. Editor and Full Site Editing. It’s included in this week’s roundup!
- Actions: thanks to Afshana Diya, Michelle Frechette, and Ugyen for volunteering to help with drafting social. Please liaise with Larissa. [[[ADD WP.ORG IDs]]]
Please engage with and share:
- The weekly #OnlineWPMeetup roundup on LinkedIn
- The most recent #WPDiversity posts on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn
- The post for Translation Day 2021 Call for Event Organisers. @Nalini will share more promo links during the coming days.
- The post for the FSE Call for Testing (deadline: 1 September 2021)
- Read and share the Meetup Newsletter if you haven’t already
4b) CoreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. and FSE
Marketing Materials to support core and FSE
- social media amplification pack for 5.8
- informal media monitoring – how do you get your news on WordPress release/ 5.8?
- what’s your favorite feature compilation
- how do you search for WordPress Release Information
- @annezazu would appreciate some help with FSE Program Testing Call #9: Handling HigherEd Headers (you do not need to be a developer to help with testing).
- The “WordPress Translation Day 2021” event is between September 1-30.
- We are looking for local teams, Meetup groups, or any translation contributors to host mini-events during the month of September 2021. Read this post for more details.
4d) Test Team
- Call for volunteers: The Test Team is reviewing the testing instructions scattered across the Make blogs (and TracTrac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/., GitHub etc) to make sure that the instructions are correct, up-to-date, etc
- Anyone can start at any time to add links into the audit spreadsheet (referenced in the post). Team reps will be updated every few weeks about the progress
- Read this post for more details.
4e) Training Team
Update via: @azhiyadev
- Feedback requested on Learner Achievements on Profiles. This would show course completions on your .org profile in a new tab. Request for marketing to raise awareness of feedback wanted on this post.
- There will host at least one subtitling working session for content on LearnWP in the last half of September in conjunction with WPTranslatorDay. Date soon to be announced.
- We anticipate having an Introduction to WordPress course ready to promote near the end of September 2021 @arasae
5. Any other Marketing Team business
- We were asked to highlight this discussion in the forums.
- Please read this slack thread for more details.
6. Forthcoming Diary Dates
Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post.
- A reminder about our Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations and social activities (Slack link)
- As mentioned in this slack thread, the Coffee Break from September 2021 will be twice a month. A lot of people are finding the current time too late or early for them. A Google Form has been created to help find a time to work for most people. Please fill in your preference timeslot in this form. Link to the form can be found in this slack thread. Form will be open 1 September 2021. There is also an informal coffee break drop-in after the main weekly meeting.
Thanks to @ EidolonNight for volunteering to co-facilitate some of these coffee breaks.