The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.
- Welcome, introduction
- These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- Attendees Slack Thread
A big thanks to everyone for coordinating and editing drafts from past meeting notes which will be up shortly in the P2P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/.. As a few people are on personal holidays and others are unwell due to Covid, we have some delayed final notes on the P2 blog.Please do let us know if you can help.
A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed on, identify where we need extra contributors, and explore how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned/requested from other teams.
Rota for drafting notes:
You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings, please contact @lmurillom and @meher. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed. We are excited to continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!
4. Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration
Global Social Media Promotions
Update via @lmurillom
Thank you to those who amplified the upcoming #WPDiversity Allyship event and Online Meetups on social media. If you would like to shadow how we write copy and plan posting on social, the document link is in the thread.
Please engage with and share:
- The weekly #OnlineWPMeetup roundup on LinkedIn
- The most recent #WPDiversity posts on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn
- The post for Translation Day 2021 Call for Event Organisers
- The post for the most recent FSE Call for Testing (deadline: 1 September 2021)
We need some more hands! Please reply to this thread if you have experience writing copy for social media.
Update from: @nalininonstopnewsuk
There will be a second chance to attend the Allyship event later in the year.
@nalininonstopnewsuk: It is really valuable to help promote the importance of these events and work, so please do put yourself forward if it could be something you can help with. If more of the team members just reshare the post by clicking retweet, this would be a positive step.
- If this is an area you are interested in supporting, please let @nalininonstopnewsuk or @lmurillom know.
MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. Newsletter
Update via: @meher
- Read the Aug 2021 Meetup newsletter on this link.
WordPress coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress., releases and FSE updates
Update from: @chloebringman @dandoshin @annezazu
- @matias published a proposed scope for the 5.9 release
- @annezazu published Call for testing #9: Handling HIgher Ed Headers
- Help us find out what the most popular features are by filling out this form
- Help us discover how our audience searches for WordPress release information by filling out this form
- Help us spread the word about WordPress 5.8 by sharing the social media pack with meetups you are connected with.
MetaMeta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress.
- Thanks to @webcommsat for working with meta to resolve the @here access for team reps and update one of the posts
- @meherbala is looking into automated meeting reminders similar to what the WP Diversity team uses
- As soon as some team members have access to the Update page, we will start publishing the monthly team updates again. When team resources are not as stretched, we hope to go back to weekly updates again
WordPress Translation Day 2021 updates
Update from: @nalininonstopnewsuk
- @nalininonstopnewsuk shared that several members of our team have volunteered to be in the organizing team of WordPress Translation Day 2021.
- If you are planning to hold a translation contributor event for your locale team, stay tuned for more updates.
Training and LearnWP
- Please read Badges on profiles and share your thoughts. Would badges for completed courses help existing folks continue ongoing learning? Would it help in hiring folks?
- Please share your thoughts on Brand guidelines – particularly if you’re a pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party/theme devs/owners
- Captioning for accessibility – working on ensuring all videos on Learn have captions. Next month a working session for translating (subtitling) this will happen during WP Translation Day as well.
- Tentatively a course on getting started with WordPress will be released within just a few weeks.
- If you’re a Windows users, please help us out by testing setups for local development
GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/
Update from: @webcommsat
- We have had a couple of volunteers so far to help with writing wiki material to use GitHub for marketing and thanks to those. Meher and Chris will be in touch shortly. We wanted to make sure everyone who has experience of GitHub who wanted to volunteer could still do so and start people off together.
- We have followed up with previous task coordinators on cards from TrelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. if they would like to continue coordinating those tasks which are still relevant. With covid pressures, many have responded saying they would like to but currently can not do so until the pandemic eases. They are happy to be involved in the task though. If you have a particular area of expertise and would like to go through a task in one of our drop-in sessions on this channel, please do so.
4. Forthcoming Diary Dates
If you need accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We will try and find ways to help. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post.
A reminder about our Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations and social activities.