The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.
1. Welcome, introduction, new contributors
- These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- Attendees Slack Thread
2. Meeting Notes
A big thanks to everyone coordinating and editing drafts from past meeting notes which will be up shortly in the P2P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/.. As a few people are on personal holidays and others are unwell due to Covid, we are a little behind on Notes and will post updates in the coming weeks.
A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed too. We rely on this to update the final notes and to put into our charts to show where we need extra contributors, and how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned/requested from other teams.
Rota for drafting notes:
You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings, please contact @lmurillom and @meher. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed. We are excited to continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!
3. Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration
WordPress Translation Day 2021 updates
- Erica shared information on the upcoming WordPress Translation Day 2021 in a past meeting. The deadline to sign up has passed, but if you have any questions about the event or participating in it, please do comment on this thread or in the post.
- If you are planning to hold a translation contributor event for your locale team, stay tuned for more updates.
- @webtechpooja published a post with important planning updates.
- @nao and @evarlese are adding organizers to Slack, Drive and TrelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing.. We are all looking forward to this year’s focus on our wonderful translators and recruiting many more.
Diverse Speaker Training Team Promotions
Update from: @lmurillom
- The Allyship event is ready for us to create social media posts! This is a new workshop with a different goal than the workshops we have helped promote before.
- It will be on 19 August 2021 at 5pm-7pm UTC and free to attend.
- This workshop is for: WordPress MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. and WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. event organizers, all WordPress contributors who want to learn about creating welcoming and diverse event spaces and every person in WordPress who wants to champion this kind of environment.
- If you have questions about the event after reading the Community post and the event page, please let @jillbinder know.
- If this is an area you are interested in supporting, please let @nalininonstopnewsuk know.
- Working document is in the Slack thread.
Online WordPress Meetup and other Social Promotions
Update from: @lmurillom
- Thank you to those who amplified our social promos this week, for Learn WordPress, Month in WordPress and Online WordPress meetups. Stay tuned for upcoming #WPDiversity posts!
- We still need more volunteers.
- Please share the the weekly #OnlineWPMeetup roundup on LinkedIn and Month in WordPress for July 2021.
- Please share the posts on Twitter and LinkedIn promoting the UX survey from the Training team. This will help improve the user experience on learn.wordpress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/.
- We need some more hands! Please reply to this thread if you have experience writing copy for social media. These tasks require a weekly commitment.
- Month in WordPress for July 2021 is published! Quite a few marketing items were included, including our feedback requests.
- The Meetup newsletter is planned to go out on 13 August 2021, and we need to provide our input by 11 August 2021. To see previous Meetup newsletters, please see the Communities P2.
- On the daily diary post, you will see reminders for submission deadlines for the Meetup Newsletter and Month in WordPress.
Follow up questions on the tool discussion from last week
- In our last meeting, @courane01 shared information on the RevisionsRevisions The WordPress revisions system stores a record of each saved draft or published update. The revision system allows you to see what changes were made in each revision by dragging a slider (or using the Next/Previous buttons). The display indicates what has changed in each revision. Extended pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party, and included a video on how to use it.
- If you have any questions or suggestions, please comment in this thread.
GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ and Project Management
Update from: @webcommsat
- Thank you to @OGlekler @meher @lmurillom @marks99 @nalininonstopnewsuk @tantienhime who have worked for several hours on the GitHub migrationMigration Moving the code, database and media files for a website site from one server to another. Most typically done when changing hosting companies., and especially to @vimes1984 and @meher who are leading this tool setup and usage with @webcommsat.
- There was another working session on GitHub on Wednesday 4 August.
- The sessions on how to use GitHub will be scheduled for after the holidays as we have a lot of people away at the moment.
WordPress 5.8 and FSE updates
- No further updates since the 5.8 release – it seems to have gotten good reviews thus far, which is wonderful to see.
- Follow-ups on collaborations – background to resources including social media amplification pack, informal media monitoring, and what’s your favorite feature compilation. Follow-up thread.
- Meetup presentation: @oglekler and @femy will collaborate on the Meetups presentation.
- We’re doing research on building engagement around WordPress releases. Please help the team by filling out this quick, two-question survey on how you search for release information. If you have any favorite features from WordPress 5.8 let us know by completing this short form.
- We are migrating the social media pack for WP 5.8 to Github as we can’t edit the current release post.
4. Forthcoming Diary Dates
If you need accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We will try and find ways to help. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post.
A reminder about our Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations and social activities.