Notes: Global Marketing Meeting – 02 June 2021

If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you. 

1. Welcome, introduction, new contributors

  1. These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates. 
    1. The meeting discussions on the Marketing team on Slack can be found at this Slack thread
    2. Meeting led by: @maedahbatool, @meher, @webcommsat
    3. Meeting notes: @maedahbatool
    4. Follow up actions: projects and actions group 
  2. Attendees Slack Thread
  3. Welcoming new contributors – New Attendees Welcome Thread

@nalininonstopnewsuk covered the accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). ( and inclusion support today. If anyone has an accessibility issue or needs some help with using one of the contributor tools, please let us know.

Get involved – starter tasks for new and returning contributors, and those who have pledged to support the team and need assistance to get started.

2. Meeting Notes

A big thanks to @YashwardhanRana, @meher, @webcommsat, @oglekler for contributing to drafting, follow ups and actions from last week’s meeting notes

Note: Please review and add comments in suggestion mode. These notes will be updated as appropriate.

A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed too. We rely on this to update the final notes and to put into our charts to show where we need extra contributors, and how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned/requested from other teams. 

Rota for drafting notes:

  • 2 June 2021: @maedahbatool
  • 9 June 2021: No meeting as supporting WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Europe

@nalininonstopnewsuk updated: in response to requests from accessibility perspectives and those joining asynchronously, please try and use the agenda numbers when replying or updating on an action. We have been testing the use of this numbering to help those who can not use threads and as part of our efforts to be inclusive.


You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed. We are excited to continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!

3. Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration

Task Updates

4a) Any updates from Josepha and Chloe 

Update provided by: @chanthaboune


  • Last week Josepha talked about a list of the changes that are going to be a part of WordPress version 5.8 and that’s still in progress.
  • WordPress 5.8 betaBeta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 1 will be released by next week, so information will be collected to address the “extender” part of our community.
  • The post about redesigning/news (showcase) will go live.
  • In addition, Josepha has started working towards gathering a list of new terms/ descriptors that could be replaced while working on any upcoming marketing projects.

To summarize all of this here’s what we need:

  • Groups with existing audiences that we can share FSE information with
  • WordPress 5.8 changelog
  • WordPress 5.8 impactful user-facing changes
  • Terms to define and share

How can you help?

  • In terms of promoting FSE, in addition to the collaboration work we have done on this, we are collating some additional WordPress media outlets that focus on the extender community. More on this on our post
  • At the moment, Josepha requests additional suggestions for podcasters/bloggers/newsletters/trainers who can either: 
    • provide content specifically for theme and pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the Plugin Directory or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party creators, or
    • have a community of theme and plugin creators that they already foster

4b) WCEU Marketing Contributors Office Hours

Update provided by: @maedahbatool


  • To help new and existing contributors get onboard and start with the marketing team’s task, @maedahbatool and @yvettesonneveld will be hosting two 1-hour live sessions around WCEU in our main WordPress Marketing team Slack channel. 
    • Session 1: Friday June 4th, 2021 at 7:00 AM UTC
    • Session 2: Friday June 11th, 2021 at 12:00 PM UTC
  • We will help you with any type of help regarding collaborating with Slack, Google Docs or understanding the WordPress project. 
  • There will also be a live Google Meet/Zoom link where we can get to learn each other better.

How can you help?

  • We need a volunteer to help with hosting onboarding sessions for new contributors
  • For this role, we would like to set aside between 1 (average) and 3 (for the weeks with training) hours a week.
  • We are seeking someone who would like to help with some assistance at first, and can later help reach out to new contributors, send reminders and slide decks, and help with promoting the sessions.

Who might like to do this task?

  • To make scheduling meetings easier, we have a preference for someone to join us to help who lives in a timezone near UTC +1 and UTC +5. Right now, we are meeting weekly at 7:00 AM or 9:00 AM UTC. 

5) Social Media Promotions

Update provided by: @lmurillom

Thank you to those who amplified the most recent FSE Call for Testing (deadline 9 June 2021), and Online Meetups on social.  


6) Tasks for the week ahead

Update provided by: @webcommsat

These will focus on:

  • People of WordPress for June
  • WCEU preparation from marketing team (more updates on this after the meeting)
  • MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on will help you find options in your area. and Month in WP support to the community team
  • Further updates to the potential external channels spreadsheet/ doc
  • Updating documents when ready referenced in agenda item 4 from Josepha

7. Collaborations and Planning

This week’s async collaboration task is to continue to identify potential outlets for information, especially to respond to Josepha ‘s request relating to FSE.

8. Forthcoming Diary Dates

If you need accessibility or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We will try and find ways to help. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.

Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post

A reminder about our Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations and social activities

Global meeting times

Following feedback and surveys, we are changing the Global Marketing meeting time to accommodate as many people as possible.

  • 31 March 2021 until 31st October 2021 inclusive, 14:00 UTC
  • 3 November 2021 until Daylight Saving Time change in Europe, 15:00 UTC

Next Marketing meeting

Wednesday 16  June 2021, 14:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack.

Does your task need some time in the future agenda? Contact @lmurillom and @webcommsat in the #marketing channel on Slack.

➤ How to get started?

We have a number of new contributors shadowing at the moment. So please do let us know if you would like some help.

If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool and @yvettesonneveld for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.

#fse, #marketing, #marketing-team, #onlinewpmeetup