Notes: Global Marketing Meeting 26 May 2021

If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you. 

1. Welcome, introduction, new contributors

  1. These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates. 
    1. The meeting discussions on the Marketing team on Slack can be found at this Slack thread
    2. Meeting led by: @webcommsat
    3. Meeting notes: @yashwardhanrana, @meher and @webcommsat
    4. Follow up actions: projects and actions group 
  2. Attendees Slack Thread
  3. Welcoming new contributors – New Attendees Welcome Thread

@nalininonstopnewsuk covered the accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). ( and inclusion support today. If anyone has an accessibility issue or needs some help with using one of the contributor tools, please let us know.

Get involved – starter tasks for new and returning contributors, and those who have pledged to support the team and need assistance to get started.

2. Meeting Notes

A big thanks to @ugyensupport, @meher @cbringmann and @webcommsat, for contributing to drafting, follow ups and actions from last week’s meeting notes

Note: Please review and add comments in suggestion mode. These notes will be updated as appropriate.

A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed too. We rely on this to update the final notes and to put into our charts to show where we need extra contributors, and how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned / requested from other teams. 

Rota for drafting notes:

  • 26 May 2021: @YashwardhanRana
  • 2 June 2021: @maedahbatool
  • 9 June 2021: No meeting as supporting WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Europe

@nalininonstopnewsuk updated: in response to requests from accessibility perspectives and those joining asynchronously, please try and use the agenda numbers when replying or updating on an action. We have been testing the use of this numbering to help those who can not use threads and as part of our efforts to be inclusive.


You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed. We are excited to continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!

Note: @webcommsat, on behalf of the team reps, thanked everyone who sent queries on when to contact another contributor. To clarify, it is fine to do this in your own timezone. We are a global project and we do not expect people to wait until or know when the time the person they want to connect with is available to reply to a message. Please be aware that the person you are contacting may not be able to respond in your timezone or may be unavailable. Almost all the active contributors in the Marketing Team currently are volunteers, and may have other demands on their time, especially during COVID. If you have not had a response to a query in some time or have a looming deadline, please do contact one of the team reps or the projects and actions group, and we will try and help.

3. Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration

Task Updates:

4) FSE, 5.8 Release Updates and Showcase

Update provided by: @chanthaboune

  • @chanthaboune has shared a photo in this slack thread of the editorial calendar for targeted days/weeks for our types of content on /news. 
  • The Calendar looked something like: 
    • Monday – Podcast, 
    • Tuesday – Release, 
    • Wednesday – Month In WP & GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. Tutorials 
    • Thursday – General 
    • Friday – People/WP 
  • Showcase: it’s just gotten the thumbs up to move forward, but will not be ready for WordCamp Europe (WCEU). A redesign on The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. itself (and that should be on make/design soon) might be ready for WCEU.
  • @oglekler mentioned that a great look will definitely give showcases additional value but the content has the highest importance and we need to bring up some new cool cases to highlight the abilities of WordPress in real applications 
  • @webcommsat asked if there is any input on the redesign of the news pages which the marketing team can give from a communications perspective? If so, is there any preference on how this input could be provided to be most useful and we can include it in our schedule.
  • @hedgefield gave a Figma link to the showcase design (slack thread) to what he thinks were the latest Showcase redesign designs, although he is not sure as it has been a long time.


  • Josepha brought up two big efforts that need collaboration. She shared:
    • As we prepare to start raising awareness and doing outreach about this giant WP5.8 release, we want to make sure we have a catalogue of all the high impact changes that we need to communicate. She has asked some devs to pull together that list from the Gutenberg changelog, but it would be smart for us to look for user-facing items as well.
      • Marketing Team action: to add to this list when it is available
  • Josepha will build a spreadsheet for input on the redesign of news pages and share it with the team so it’s low friction for everyone.
    • Projects and Actions group to set up collaboration session(s) to be set up for this in the Marketing channel
  • Once the post on redesigning showcase is published on the is published, Josepha / Chloe will share the link in the marketing channel.

5) Potential external media/ Blogs/ Influencers channels for FSE info / Awareness

Update provided by: @webcommsat


  • For those who are in the channel for the collaboration session, we will be working further on the potential channels list.

6) Other Task Updates

6 A) Onboarding videos

Update provided by: @oglekler

  • Greek Onboarding video: Voiceover and subtitles completed by @Hercules Pekkas and checked by @ifrountas, is ready to be published.
  • @mkrndmane is working on a Marathi version
  • @pmfonseca is working on a Portuguese version


  • We are close to WCEU, so we need to finish everything we can in 1.5 weeks. @oglekler will contact everyone who is working on videos to check if we will be able to achieve some additional progress.
  • We especially want to involve new contributors in this. Let @oglekler know if you have time to give to this in the next month. 
  • If you can help with a language that is not in this onboarding video playlist, contact @oglekler to find out how to get started contributing in your own language.

6 B) Meetups event promotion and support

Update provided by: @lmurillom

  • Thank you to those who amplified the most recent FSE Call for Testing (deadline today), and the Online Meetups on social and in their networks.  


  • Please share this week’s #OnlineWPMeetup roundup on LinkedIn and the Meetups shared on the @wordpressevents Twitter feed.
  • Please share the call for testing the Widgets Editor for 5.8
  • We could use some more hands for social media. Please reply to this thread if you have experience!

6 C) Learn WP promotion

Update provided by: @webcommsat

  • We are awaiting a schedule / planner from the teams working on updates to the platform, and more info on the event timezone being used. In the meantime, if you would like to join the task group working on social media messaging / amplification, please let @meher or @webcommsat know.

6 D) People of WordPress

Update provided by: @webcommsat

  • There will be a change to the next article. 
  • Thanks to @OGlekler and Surendra for stepping in to help cover this gap. 
  • Link to the May article featuring Ascencia Fike – please help us share this.

6 E) MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on will help you find options in your area. and Month in WordPress newsletters

Update provided by: @meher

  • No update available on deadline dates as yet.

7) Team repTeam Rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. updates

Update provided by: @yvettesonneveld

  • @maedahbatool and @yvettesonneveld  have recorded the second “Contributing made fun and easy” training session (Getting the most out of Slack).
  • @yvettesonneveld has edited the video and it is now ready for Maedah to work on the closed captioning. 
  • They will record a session on collaborating using Google Docs next week. It will be a resource for future contributors.

8) Tasks for the week ahead

Update provided by: @webcommsat

These will focus on:

  • People of WordPress for June
  • WCEU preparation from marketing team (more updates on this after the meeting)
  • Meetup and Month in WP support to the community team
  • Further updates to the potential external channels spreadsheet/ doc
  • Updating documents when ready referenced in agenda item 4 from Josepha

4. Collaborations and Planning

This week’s async collaboration task is to continue to identify potential outlets for information, especially to respond to Josepha ‘s request relating to FSE.

5. Forthcoming Diary Dates

If you need accessibility or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We will try and find ways to help. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.

Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post

A reminder about our Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations and social activities

Global Meeting Times

Following feedback and surveys, we are changing the Global Marketing meeting time to accommodate as many people as possible.

  • 31 March 2021 until 31st October 2021 inclusive, 14:00 UTC
  • 3 November 2021 until Daylight Saving Time change in Europe, 15:00 UTC

Next Marketing meeting

Wednesday 2  June 2021, 14:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack.

Does your task need some time in the future agenda? Contact @lmurillom and @webcommsat in the #marketing channel on Slack.

➤ How to get started?

We have a number of new contributors shadowing at the moment. So please do let us know if you would like some help.

If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool and @yvettesonneveld for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.

#5-8, #contributor-onboarding, #fse, #lean-wp, #onboarding, #people-of-wordpress, #showcase