Notes: Global Marketing meeting 19th May 2021

If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you. 

1. Welcome, introduction, new contributors

  1. These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates. 
    1. The meeting discussions on the Marketing team on Slack can be found at this Slack thread
    2. Meeting led by: @webcommsat
    3. Meeting notes: @ugyensupport, @meher, @webcommsat, @cbringmann
    4. Follow up actions: projects and actions group 
  2. Attendees Slack Thread
  3. Welcoming new contributors – New Attendees Welcome Thread

@meher covered the accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) and inclusion support today. If anyone has an accessibility issue or needs some help with using one of the contributor tools, please let us know.

Get involved – starter tasks for new and returning contributors, and those who have pledged to support the team and need assistance to get started.

2. Meeting Notes

A big thanks to @meher and @webcommsat, for contributing to drafting, follow ups and actions from last week’s meeting notes. Note: Please review and add comments in suggestion mode. These notes will be updated as appropriate.

A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed too. We rely on this to update the final notes and to put into our charts to show where we need extra contributors, and how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned / requested from other teams. 

Rota for drafting notes:

@nalininonstopnewsuk mentioned that in response to requests from an accessibility perspective and for those joining asynchronously, we will make sure we use the numbers in the agenda post. If you can and are posting directly to the channel itself, can you please use this numbering. We have been testing this and it really helps us be more inclusive. 

Actions:

You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed. We are excited to continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!

3. Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration

Task Updates

A)  Onboarding videos and GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ updates

Updates provided by: @OGlekler

Actions:

  • We are looking for help to give input to WCEU on the contributor orientation tool. Could you take part with a small task group? 
  • We especially want to involve new contributors in this. Let @oglekler and @webcommsat know if you have time to give to this in the next month. 
  • If you can help with a language that is not in this onboarding video playlist, contact @oglekler to find out how to get started contributing in your own language.

B) Diversity speaker workshops

Updates by: @webcommsat

Actions:

  • The update and text to promote this was shared. Please reshare.

C) MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. Promotions and help to organizers

Updates from the task group via: @meher and @lmurillom

  • Thank you to those who amplified the most recent FSE Call for Testing, and Online Meetups on social media.

Actions:

  • Please share the the weekly #OnlineWPMeetup roundup on LinkedIn and the Meetups shared on the @wordpressevents Twitter feed.
  • Please share the latest FSE Call for Testing on Twitter and on LinkedIn.
  • Please share the call for testing the Widgets Editor for 5.8
  • We need some more people to join this task group as active contributors. Some of the working group have reduced their contributing hours and others are focusing on recovering from COVID and related issues. Please reply to this thread if you have experience writing copy for social media for brands / organizations.
  • We are still short of help on graphics work. We have had a number of volunteers who have not been able to give time at present due to the pandemic. This is now urgent.
  • Thanks to @MegPhillips91 who has offered to create process actions in Photoshop to assist.

D) People of WordPress

Update provided via: @OGlekler and @webcommsat

Actions:

  • Need more people to work on graphics/ image editing and follow up research due to availability of some of our volunteers at this time.
  • For others working on different articles please do share your updates with the team. If anyone has specific questions please do reach out, in this slack thread
  • The team is happy to answer any questions with regards to People of WordPress Task.
  • Reachout to @meher and @Nalininonstopnewsuk this week to help us finalize the next steps for each of the drafts. 

E) Contributor materials and WCEU

Update provided by: @nalininonstopnewsuk

  • Need some extra people to help with marketing team items for WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Europe’s contributor experience. 

Actions:

F) FSE and the release updates

Update provided by: @chanthaboune and @cbringmann

  • On Preparation to the midpoint of the pre-merge timeframe for the template editing mode of Full Site Editing. 
  • Both feature calls for testing and betaBeta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. version testing require a lot of signal boost around testing.
  • The current call for testing should provide a clear idea on FSE and a guided walk through of how to do the basics with FSE. 
  • @cbringmann can provide audio cuts of the podcast that used materials from the marketing team’s collaboration efforts in this area, if we can provide the sections of interest from the transcript.
  • Thanks to @sthakor, @webcommsat and @lmurillom for preparation work leading the marketing team’s user and non dev focused collaboration sessions and pulling materials together. 

Actions:

  • Request from Josepha – Next step is to “who to talk to and where” is something I could use some crowdsourced info on from contributors. 
  • Josepha will update on what parts of FSE you are expecting for 5.8 at the next meeting 
  • Feedback from the meeting:
    1. We need to translate materials almost in real-time in most popular languages and publish them synchronously.
    2. Can take the Q&A off the podcast with Mathias.
  • Once Marketing team finalize list of questions these can be sent to Josepha and @cbringmann
  • @OGlekler asked can we expect a high level of accessibility on FSE and talk about it? @meg replies that the best strategy in these matters is to outline what is good and what is improving. Meg has appreciated the way @annezazu has been very careful to address some of these concerns and accomplishments, and we can take from that example I think as we prepare content on the topic. Josepha mentioned that she was actually just looped into a conversation about how the WP/ FSE accessibility stacks up against other CMSs. She should have some shareable content soon.

G) Showcase

Updates provided by: @webcommsat and @OGlekler

  • Using WordPress in a unique or innovative way.
  • Attracting tens of thousands of regular readers.
  • Being written by someone famous or especially notable in his or her particular field.
  • Representing a notable organization, government entity, or corporation as an official blog or web site.
  • Josepha knows that the showcase needs a redesign, and have been an advocate of for a while
  • A reminder for those who have volunteered before with particular expertise in an aspect of Showcase.
  • Specialist skills in search, editorial / journalistic skills, photo editing, please initially let me know. We can then feed this into an update and plan for Josepha with @harryjackson1221.
  • You can submit a showcase at this URL.

Actions

  • @cbringmann can give an update on the latest status with Showcase and changes with the redesign when it comes in. This will enable us to update the tasks that are needed from marketing. Target: update this to include at WordCamp Europe’s contributor experience.
  • We ask for volunteers to be able to dedicate time to Showcase as their main task as we need to move this on urgently
  • We appreciate everyone is so stretched at the moment and it is a difficult time
  • Please, as always, feel welcome to chat to one of the team reps or the projects and actions group about any difficulties you may be having with tasks in this area or another task
  • If you have experience in research and content editing, and want to volunteer for this task, please contact @webcommsat or leave a comment for @harryjackson1221 in this slack thread.

G) Case Studies

Updates provided by: @sthakor

  • @sthakor suggests adapting case studies task to include FSE in the medium term. 

Actions:

  • @cbringmann will give an update on case studies in general and come back on the suggestion of case studies relating to Full Site Editing. 

4. Collaborations and Planning

This week’s async collaboration task was to continue to identify potential outlets for information, especially to respond to Josepha ‘s request relating to FSE.  

5. Forthcoming Diary Dates

If you need accessibility or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We will try and find ways to help. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.

Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post

A reminder about our Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations and social activities

Global meeting times

Following feedback and surveys, we are changing the Global Marketing meeting time to accommodate as many people as possible.

  • 6 January 2021 to 24 March 2021 inclusive, 15:00 UTC
  • 31 March 2021 until 31st October 2021 inclusive, 14:00 UTC
  • 3 November 2021 until Daylight Saving Time change in Europe, 15:00 UTC

Next Marketing meeting

Wednesday 26 May 2021, 14:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack.

Does your task need some time in the future agenda? Contact @lmurillom and @webcommsat in the #marketing channel on Slack.

➤ How to get started?

We have a number of new contributors shadowing at the moment. So please do let us know if you would like some help.

If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool and @yvettesonneveld for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.

If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on Slack or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you. 

#case-studies, #fse, #marketing, #onlinewpmeetup, #people-of-wordpress, #showcase, #wceu, #wpdiversity