Notes: Global Marketing meeting 5 May 2021

If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you. 

1. Welcome, introduction, new contributors

  1. These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates. 
    1. The meeting discussions on the Marketing team on Slack can be found at this Slack thread
    2. Meeting led by: @nalininonstopnewsuk and @webcommsat
    3. Meeting notes: @meher and @webcommsat
    4. Follow up actions: projects and actions group 
  2. Attendees Slack Thread
  3. Welcoming new contributors – New Attendees Welcome Thread

@nalininonstopnewsuk has been supporting members and reviewing systems in this area. If anyone has an accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). ( issue or needs some help with using one of the contributor tools, please let us know or include her (@Nalini on Slack) in your message.

Get involved – starter tasks for new and returning contributors, and those who have pledged to support the team and need assistance to get started

@webcommsat mentioned that during last week’s devchat, Josepha shared the difficulties some contributors are having at this time and encouraged everyone to reach out to our friends. 

Thanks to those who have been sharing the problems and impact of Covid with Abha and other members of the projects group in marketing, and we continue to be here for you. 

We are very grateful to Josepha and Chloe for adding their voice of support and encouragement, and highlighting the generic information we have been able to brief them on over the months. 

For anyone having ongoing acute or prolonged difficulties from the pandemic, we are a team and we will continue to support each other. I hope we can avoid people feeling alone and isolated.

2. Meeting Notes

A big thanks to @maedahbatool, @meher and @webcommsat, for contributing to drafting, follow ups and actions from last week’s meeting notes. Note: Please review and add comments in suggestion mode – link in the Slack. These notes will be updated as appropriate.

A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed too. We rely on this to update the final notes and to put into our charts to show where we need extra contributors, and how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned / requested from other teams. 

Rota for drafting notes:


You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed. We are excited to continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!

3. Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration

Task Updates

A) People of WordPress

Update provided by: @nalininonstopnewsuk and @meher


  • To schedule the next steps of work, we need updates on the status of the initial drafts that were due back last week. We’ve asked all the contributors inputting into this series to share their first version of the draft for review.
  • Looking for contributors who can help with graphics work.
  • Reminder: the publication dates and order in the schedule are provisional as the articles are likely to change depending on factors including currency/promotional opportunities, issues and progress with others in the cycle. We are working on these articles concurrently (at the same time) so we need to get the initial drafts at this stage.
  • Please let @meher know if you are not able to get the very first initial draft to us this week after all, as we will need to advise the contributors who are scheduled to go through these initial reviews and first drafts next week, to confirm which can go forward to the next stage. 
    1. Nalini, Yvette and Meher, on behalf of the team reps and projects groups, gave reassurance to all the team involved: If you need help, let us know. Asking for help is no problem, and we understand the difficulties at this time. 
    2. As it is really important that we maintain the flow of this series and avoid the extra, last minute work experienced in previous months, if we do not hear from a contributor this week, we will take the post out of the current cycle and it may be reallocated. Please don’t worry if you have an unexpected issue, but please talk to us early so we can bring in help or alter the schedule where it is possible.
    3. We appreciate the pressures on everyone at the moment and we want to be respectful of everyone’s time in the process, so just let us know where you are at with the link to the latest version of the document assigned. 
    4. It is going to be a really busy few months and we need to keep to our editorial cycle and deadlines, thanks for your help to do this. 

B) Suggestions on coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. information flow with marketing and Q&As

Update provided by: @webcommsat

  • We have shared information with documentation and other teams that we have worked with previously on this, and awaiting their replies.


  • The task group will incorporate any feedback and then take this back to Chloe

C) Ideas for content series

Update provided by: @webcommsat

  • Please add thoughts in this document asynchronously. Check this slack thread for more details.


D) Showcase

Update provided by: @webcommsat

  • We have had difficulties in getting those who had volunteered together. 
  • If you have time to commit to this and have a particular communications and marketing skill which you can bring to this ongoing review and updating work, please add it in the thread, with your timezone. 


  • We can then pass this onto @harryjackson1221 so that we can give an update for the quarter report on this area. 

E) Onboarding videos

Update provided by: @OGlekler and @macgraphic 

  • No Update 


  • We are looking for help to give input to WCEU on the contributor orientation tool. Could you take part with a small task group? We especially want to involve new contributors in this. Let @oglekler and @webcommsat know if you have time to give to this in the next two months. 
  • If you speak Portuguese (Brazil) and can help with the onboarding video for this locale, please reach out to @oglekler.
  • If you speak Persian and can help with the onboarding video for this locale, please reach out to @oglekler.
  • If you can help with a language that is not in this playlist, contact @oglekler to find out how to get started contributing in your own language.

F) Translation Day

Update provided by: @nalininonstopnewsuk 

  •  Discussion with polyglots via @nao – will update further on options to coincide with September’s international translation day and potential promotions around WCEU. 


  • Will update again in two weeks and on the TrelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the team uses for example: card.

G) WCEU WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Europe

Update provided by: @webcommsat 


  • We need some extra volunteers to help with the work from marketing as two of our contributors have Covid. Can you help with onboarding materials we are working on with WCEU If you are interested, please do reach out to @webcommsat or @OGlekler in the #marketing slack channel.

H) Learn WordPress 

Update provided by: @nalininonstopnewsuk 

  • We have a few updates for Learn WP which we will bring with training at a future meeting
  • High level roadmap idea for Learn WordPress. Please do have a read of this post.


  • Have you used LearnWP and do you have a quote / wording on how useful you have found it? Please do share it in this slack thread or let us know in the marketing channel.

H) Full Site Editing (FSE) 

Update provided by: @nalininonstopnewsuk 

  • We will share the latest posts on FSE later today after devchat.


H) Meetups social media

Update provided by: @nalininonstopnewsuk 

  • Well done to @lmurillom and the task group working on this. 


  • Please share the weekly #OnlineWPMeetup roundup post on Linkedin and the FSE Call for Testing #5
  • If you have a Mega MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on will help you find options in your area. coming up, please let us know in the #marketing channel.
  • Do you have a specialist in social media and can help with this? Please let us know in this slack thread.

4. Collaborations and Planning

This week’s collaboration task was moved to next week as we are awaiting wider feedback on some of them and reviewing others for potential next steps.

5. Forthcoming Diary Dates

If you need accessibility or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.

Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post

A reminder about our Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations and social activities

Global meeting times

Following feedback and surveys, these are the Global Marketing meeting times to accommodate as many people as possible. We will review these arrangements in October.

  • 6 January 2021 to 24 March 2021 inclusive, 15:00 UTC
  • 31 March 2021 until 31st October 2021 inclusive, 14:00 UTC
  • 3 November 2021 until Daylight Saving Time change in Europe, 15:00 UTC

Next Marketing meeting

Wednesday 12 May 2021, 14:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack.

Does your task need some time in a future agenda? Contact @lmurillom on #marketing channel on Slack.

➤ How to get started?

If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.

#lean-wp, #onboarding, #people-of-wordpress, #qna, #wceu