Notes: Global Marketing meeting 12 May 2021

If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you. 

1. Welcome, introduction, new contributors

  1. These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates. 
    1. The meeting discussions on the Marketing team on Slack can be found at this Slack thread
    2. Meeting led by@webcommsat
    3. Meeting notes: @yvettesonneveld, @meher and @webcommsat
    4. Follow up actions: projects and actions group 
  2. Attendees Slack Thread
  3. Welcoming new contributors – New Attendees Welcome Thread

@nalininonstopnewsuk has been supporting members and reviewing systems in this area. If anyone has an accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). ( issue or needs some help with using one of the contributor tools, please let us know or include her (@Nalini on Slack) in your message.

Get involved – starter tasks for new and returning contributors, and those who have pledged to support the team and need assistance to get started

2. Meeting Notes

A big thanks to @meher and @webcommsat, for contributing to drafting, follow ups and actions from last week’s meeting notes. Note: Please review and add comments in suggestion mode. These notes will be updated as appropriate.

A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed too. We rely on this to update the final notes and to put into our charts to show where we need extra contributors, and how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned / requested from other teams. 

Rota for drafting notes:


You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed. We are excited to continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!

3. Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration

Task Updates

A) Contributing Made Fun & Easy On Demand Training 

Update provided by: @yvettesonneveld and @maedahbatool 

  • Both of them recorded their first session last week. 
  • This week, they have worked on edits. 


  • Next week they will work on the subtitles.

B) Meetups social media

Update provided by: @nalininonstopnewsuk


  • Please share the weekly #OnlineWPMeetup roundup post on Linkedin 
  • If you have a Mega MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on will help you find options in your area. coming up, please let us know in the #marketing channel.
  • Do you have a specialist in social media and can help with this? Please let us know in this slack thread.

C) Onboarding videos

Update provided by: @OGlekler and @macgraphic 


  • We are looking for help to give input to WCEU on the contributor orientation tool. Could you take part with a small task group? We especially want to involve new contributors in this. Let @oglekler and @webcommsat know if you have time to give to this in the next month. 
  • If you speak Portuguese (Brazil) and can help with the onboarding video for this locale, please reach out to @oglekler
  • If you speak Persian and can help with the onboarding video for this locale, please reach out to @oglekler
  • If you can help with a language that is not in this playlist, contact @oglekler to find out how to get started contributing in your own language.

D) Ideas for content series

Update provided by: @webcommsat

  • Thanks to everyone who added more details to this document through last week and are now working on gathering supporting data and research on their sustainability and ready materials.
  • Please do continue adding to this – link to the document can be found in this slack thread
  • We use threads based on feedback to help those who have requested them and to enable more async collaboration. But we have other options too to make sure everyone can participate


E) Full Site Editing (FSE)

Update provided by: @webcommsat

  • FSE: ongoing awareness and understanding within the team (and subsequent feedback wider), collating of questions we have / come across, and Ideas for how could potentially show / communicate benefits which we could be shared with those leading the FSE drive
  • If you are particularly interested in this area, please do add to the documents or reach out to both @MegPhillips91 and @webcommsat to take part in potential idea generations on the benefits of FSE
  • It all helps our better understanding and testing of FSE within the team too
  • At present, there is a lot of work going on FSE development and testing, and the importance of marketing it will get a major presence with @chanthaboune leading this area in the release(s) it will feature in. As a team, we are looking forward to continuing to support her, @CBringmann and all involved in FSE
  • It is a very big development for WordPress and an opportunity for users and developers
  • We will continue to give any help as needed to Josepha, Chloé Bringmann, @annezazu and all those working on it when needed. 
  • Thanks to the dev-focused task group that keep a close monitoring of all that is happening and help / signpost new contributors wanting to shadow this area too
  • This is a great post by Josepha we recommend for anyone interested in FSE and marketing


  • In the meantime, we are focusing on supporting marketing team members in understanding FSE, and promoting the calls for testing and any outreach items shared with us by @annezazu.
    Please do share those updates on testing, and we will update the doc where the agreed messages are available for reuse
  • You can also follow on with developments in the releases in devchat in the coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. channel at 5am and 8pm UTC every Wednesday
  • You can also follow the #5-8-release-leads channel if you are particularly interested in 5.8

F) WPTranslationDay 2021

Update provided by: @webcommsat

  • Discussions have started jointly with polyglots on how to promote translations at WCEU and mini events around International Translation Day at the end of September and the following weekend (potentially Saturday), with a range of self service support in addition to the benefits obtained from a combined marketing presence
  • Thanks to all who have volunteered so far


  • If you would like to help with this from the marketing side, please let us know in this slack thread.

G) WP diversity speaker workshops

Update provided by: @webcommsat

  • The update and text to promote this will be shared later. 


  • The community team working on this have a very exciting workshop coming up and so please help us support this.

H) Learn WP promotions

Update provided by: @webcommsat

  • More update in future meetings

I) People in WordPress

Update provided by: @meher and @webcommsat


  • For others working on different articles please do share your updates with the team. If anyone has specific questions please do reach out, in this slack thread
  • The team is happy to answer any questions with regards to People of WordPress Task. 

4. Collaborations and Planning

This week’s collaboration task was done async using the FSE awareness and content ideas documents, specifically thinking of new contributors joining at events like WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Europe.

5. Forthcoming Diary Dates

If you need accessibility or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We will try and find ways to help. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.

Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post

A reminder about our Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations and social activities

Global meeting times

Following feedback and surveys, we are changing the Global Marketing meeting time to accommodate as many people as possible.

  • 6 January 2021 to 24 March 2021 inclusive, 15:00 UTC
  • 31 March 2021 until 31st October 2021 inclusive, 14:00 UTC
  • 3 November 2021 until Daylight Saving Time change in Europe, 15:00 UTC

Next Marketing meeting

Wednesday 19 May 2021, 14:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack.

Does your task need some time in a future agenda? Contact @lmurillom and @webcommsat in the #marketing channel on Slack.

Agenda for 19 May 2021 meeting

➤ How to get started?

We have a number of new contributors shadowing at the moment. So please do let us know if you would like some help.

If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool and @yvettesonneveld for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.

#fse, #onboarding, #people-of-wordpress