If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.
1. Welcome, introduction, new contributors
- These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- The meeting discussions on the Marketing team on Slack can be found at this Slack thread
- Meeting led by: @webcommsat
- Meeting notes: @maedahbatool, @meher and @webcommsat
- Follow up actions: projects and actions group
- Attendees Slack Thread
- Welcoming new contributors – New Attendees Welcome Thread
@nalininonstopnewsuk has been supporting members and reviewing systems in this area. If anyone has an accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) issue or needs some help with using one of the contributor tools, please let us know or include her (@Nalini on Slack) in your message.
Get involved – starter tasks for new and returning contributors, and those who have pledged to support the team and need assistance to get started
2. Meeting Notes
A big thanks to @lmurillom and @meher, for contributing to drafting, follow ups and actions from last week’s meeting notes. Note: Please review and add comments in suggestion mode – link in the Slack. These notes will be updated as appropriate.
A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed too. We rely on this to update the final notes and to put into our charts to show where we need extra contributors, and how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned / requested from other teams.
Rota for drafting notes:
You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed. We are excited to continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!
3. Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration
People of WordPress
Update via: @nalininonstopnewsuk and @meher
- To schedule the next steps of work, we need updates on the status of the initial drafts that were due back last week. We’ve asked all the contributors inputting into this series to share their first version of the draft for review.
- Reminder: the publication dates and order in the schedule are provisional as the articles are likely to change depending on factors including currency/promotional opportunities, issues and progress with others in the cycle. We are working on these articles concurrently (at the same time) so we need to get the initial drafts / first reviews at this stage.
- Please let @meher know if you are not able to get the very first initial review / draft to us this week after all, as we will need to advise the contributors who are scheduled to go through these initial reviews and first drafts next week, to confirm which can go forward to the next stage.
- Nalini, Yvette and Meher, on behalf of the team reps and projects groups, assured the team: If you need help, let us know. Asking for help is no problem, and we understand the difficulties at this time.
- As it is really important that we maintain the flow of this series and avoid the extra, last minute work experienced in previous months, if we do not hear from a contributor this week, we will take the post out of the current cycle and it may be reallocated. Please don’t worry if you have an unexpected issue, but please talk to us early so we can bring in help or alter the schedule where it is possible.
- We appreciate the pressures on everyone at the moment and we want to be respectful of everyone’s time in the process, so just let us know where you are at with the link to the latest version of the document assigned.
- It is going to be a really busy few months and we need to keep to our editorial cycle and deadlines, thanks for your help to do this.
WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Europe Contributor Experience
There will be a Contributor Experience throughout the event dates of WordCamp Europe this year, which runs from 7-10 June 2021.
Much of this team’s involvement in the ongoing work about promoting onboarding videos and materials will be shared with Learn WordPress and other teams too.
Update via: @webcommsat
- The marketing team is working with the WCEU contributing team on highlighting the latest information on getting involved, updates to the existing info, and ideas for ongoing promotions.
- Thanks to @oglekler for all the work on the onboarding videos.
Update via: @maedahbatool & @yvettesonneveld
- @maedahbatool and @yvettesonneveld are working on informal videos about marketing content.
- This is going to be a series of videos covering some general info on the WordPress project and our team, videos about collaborating team tasks through Slack and Google Docs.
- We need to shoe how it maps to the already existing content e.g the existing tools and the onboarding information. All this can be linked in with the WCEU contributor experience. This will also help with producing the main overview for the on-demand content.
- These sessions will be recorded via slides containing screenshots.
- @maedahbatool & @yvettesonneveld are documenting all the details and proceedings in the contributor onboarding folder.
Document for Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. Related Releases
Update via: @webcommsat
Community Newsletter and Additional Task Updates
- The April Meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. Organizer Newsletter is out. Please do give it a read. Thanks to @meher and @webcommsat who contributed from this team too.
- @lmurillom and @nalininonstopnewsuk are putting together the updates on FSE, diversity and Meetups.
- The Marketing Team Quarter 2 update for 2021 has been submitted. Thanks to @webcommsat and @meher for working on this and to all those who gave input from the team.
- The Month in WordPress April 2021 edition deadline is on May 2, 2021 – our team will contribute to this.
4. Collaborations and Planning
This week’s collaboration task was shifted until next week as several collaboration documents are being reviewed.
5. Forthcoming Diary Dates
If you need accessibility or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post.
A reminder about our Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations and social activities.
Global Meeting Times
Following feedback and surveys, we are changing the Global Marketing meeting time to accommodate as many people as possible.
- 6 January 2021 to 24 March 2021 inclusive, 15:00 UTC
- 31 March 2021 until 31st October 2021 inclusive, 14:00 UTC
- 3 November 2021 until Daylight Saving Time change in Europe, 15:00 UTC
Next Marketing meeting
Wednesday 5 May 2021, 14:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack.
Does your task need some time in a future agenda? Contact @lmurillom on #marketing channel on Slack.
➤ How to get started?
If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.
The previous meeting on 21 April 2021 was cancelled due to a number of team members being sick or dealing with acute COVID situations.