If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.
1. Welcome, introduction, new contributors
- These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- The meeting discussions on the Marketing team on Slack can be found at this Slack thread
- Meeting led by: @nalininonstopnewsuk and @webcommsat
- Meeting notes and follow-up actions: @meher, and members of the projects and actions group
- Attendees Slack Thread
- Welcoming new contributors – New Attendees Welcome Thread
@nalininonstopnewsuk has been supporting members and reviewing systems in this area. If anyone has an accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) issue or needs some help with using one of the contributor tools, please let us know or include her (@Nalini on Slack) in your message.
Get involved – starter tasks for new and returning contributors, and those who have pledged to support the team and need assistance to get started
2. Meeting Notes
A big thanks to @lmurillom and @meher, for contributing to drafting, and to them and to all the project and actions group for follow ups and actions from last week’s meeting notes. Note: Please review and add comments in suggestion mode – link in the Slack. These notes will be updated as appropriate.
A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed too. We rely on this to update the final notes and to put into our charts to show where we need extra contributors, and how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned / requested from other teams.
Rota for drafting notes:
You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed. We are excited to continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!
3. Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration
Update from: @webcommsat and @yvettesonneveld on behalf of the team reps.
- Siobhan Cunningham has been an active contributor of the Global Marketing Team since November 2017. She has guided and supported much work in her time since September 2019 when she was appointed a team rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts.. She has inspired many, many contributors in person at WordCamps, contributor events, and via Slack. Siobhan has recently had family and job changes, and has decided to take some time off from the active contribution she has been able to give over many years. We will miss her hugely. On behalf of all the team reps and the projects group, we are very grateful to @siobhanseija for her time, commitment and energy, and the project has benefited so much from how you have inspired people and supported new and experienced contributors. We look forward to her return in the future.
- Great delight to welcome @OGlekler as a team rep. She has been a very active contributor to marketing and working with other teams for the last two years. She has been part of the projects and actions group, the contributor communications group, dev group, Learn WordPress marketing and training collaborations, and more, and has been shadowing team rep responsibilities. She will start her main work as team rep after WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Europe in mid-June, as she is an organizer on the contributing team and a link from this team. Thanks to all the team reps and people generally who have shared support for Olga in helping to support during the last nine months.
- A number of marketing contributor badges have been awarded in the last few months. As many recipients can not be with us today, we will highlight their work at a future meeting.
- If you are interested in joining a task group, shadowing, taking on responsibilities within the team at a future date, please let us know.
- We have support available and are keen to remove any access barriers wherever possible.
- A big thank you to our projects group, whose time commitment to the Marketing Team has been immense particularly during the last year, and who in most weeks give a few hours most days.
People of WordPress
Update via: @webcommsat
- Everyone has been allocated a feature to start working on in their feature mini group. We need all first drafts back in one weeks (21 April 2021). Let us know if you could not make this first draft deadline. @meher and @yvettesonneveld will be circulating the documents for where you can work on the first drafts. You can find the link to this document in this slack thread.
- If you have a significant editorial background and were interested but not able to attend and have not yet been allocated an item, please reach out to @webcommsat, @nalininonstopnewsuk or @meher so you can get an update and join one of the working groups.
Update via: @lmurillom
- A big thank you to everyone working on this cycle of promotions and planning
- Thank you to those who amplified the most recent FSE Call for Testing, and Online Meetups on social.
- There is a Mega Meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. tomorrow April 15, at 10.30pm UTC. Learn about the key milestones of Full Site Editing (FSE) in WordPress, what the feature unlocks, important upcoming dates, how to best prepare (as a freelancer, agency, user, and more), and how to get involved in giving feedback. Info and link. Please share.
Contributor Onboarding Guides
Update via: @oglekler and @marks99
- @herculespekkas did the translation and checked it with @ifrountas as GTE General Translation Editor – One of the polyglots team leads in a geographic region https://make.wordpress.org/polyglots/teams/. Further information at https://make.wordpress.org/polyglots/handbook/glossary/#general-translation-editor..
- @mkrndmane did the translation in Marathi and he also was GTE.
- @sippis found a volunteer for the Finnish version and is still seeking a volunteer for Swedish.
- Captions have been translated.
- We are following up with Patrick Edgett who has volunteered to help.
- Contributing Team of WCEU 2021 lead @webcommsat is working on Onboarding videos as well.
- We are very pleased to welcome many of our WCEU organizers to work alongside the marketing team on onboarding video and other contributor events/ getting started communications.
- We are looking for help to give input to WCEU on the contributor orientation tool. Could you take part with a small task group? We especially want to involve new contributors in this. Let @oglekler and @webcommsat know if you have time to give to this in the next two months.
- If you speak Portuguese (Brazil) and can help with the onboarding video for this locale, please reach out to @oglekler.
- If you speak Persian and can help with the onboarding video for this locale, please reach out to @oglekler.
- If you can help with a language that is not in this playlist, contact @oglekler to find out how to get started contributing in your own language.
Translation Day mini events planning
Update via: @nalininonstopnewsuk and @webcommsat
- Thanks to everyone who filled in the form on potential mini translation day events or interest.
- The consensus was to do a promotion to coincide with WCEU potentially in June and on the week of International Translation Day at the end of September.
- We had 48 responses on this question on the form.
- @nao is available to collaborate on this in early June, but later on may be too busy for her with WC Japan (June 20-26) and the Japanese translation workshop.
- We will liaise with @evarlese and others on these dates and the feedback on the form that has been running since the last translation days in October, and work with @nao around her availability.
4. Collaborations and Planning
Topic: Flow chart for gathering marketing / question and answers information / linking with Learn WP etc on releases
Task: Document the current information flow when a WordPress version is released, and then suggest an improved flow to aid in Q&As, marketing materials, linking with Learn WordPress regarding releases and more.
Topic: Content Series Brainstorm
Task: We are brainstorming potential content series for wordpress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org//news. These should be meaningful, engaging, relevant to our audience and be produced through sustainable and repeatable processes.
- Please continue to add to the shared document asynchronously. You can find the link to the document in this slack thread.
5. Forthcoming Diary Dates
If you need accessibility or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post.
A reminder about our Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations and social activities.
6. AOB and Further Action Items
- 5.7 release Q and As: has anyone moved this document? It is not in our shared folder. If you have edited it and may have moved it accidentally, please let @meher know.
- Month in WordPress in April 2021: we are now onto April’s newsletter supporting @harishanker and the community team. Do you have anything else that needs to go in this edition? We will also be working with them in the future on some ideas for making the newsletter easier to read and more visual. We are gathering volunteers for this and will be talking with the design and meta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. team. Working document link in Slack.
- WCEU 2021 has opened their call for speakers. Deadline is 24 April 2021. Remember the Marketing team will be present at Contributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. and a few of our contributors are actively involved in the organisation of the event – make sure you attend!
- If you are facilitating a starter task, please let us know what updates are needed for our starter task page and any extra contributors needed in our Monday update on the channel.
- We have a weekly, relaxed coffee break and a drop-in session where you can just come along. Thanks to all those who have volunteered to run relaxation type content at these sessions. .
Global meeting times
Following feedback and surveys, we are changing the Global Marketing meeting time to accommodate as many people as possible.
- 6 January 2021 to 24 March 2021 inclusive, 15:00 UTC
- 31 March 2021 until 31st October 2021 inclusive, 14:00 UTC
- 3 November 2021 until Daylight Saving Time change in Europe, 15:00 UTC
Next Marketing meeting
Wednesday 28 April 2021, 14:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack.
Does your task need some time in a future agenda? Contact @lmurillom on #marketing channel on Slack.
➤ How to get started?
If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.