The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.
1. Welcome, introduction, new contributors
- These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- Attendees Slack Thread
- Welcoming new contributors – New Attendees Welcome Thread
Laura and Charmaine doing sign-language support today specifically for two of our contributors on getting started topics. @nalininonstopnewsuk has been supporting members and reviewing systems in this area. If anyone has an accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) issue or needs some help with using one of the contributor tools, please let us know or include her (@Nalini on Slack) in your message.
2. Meeting Notes
A big thanks to @maedahbatool and @lmurillom, for contributing to drafting, follow ups and actions from last week’s meeting notes. Note: Please review and add comments in suggestion mode – link in the Slack. These notes will be updated as appropriate.
A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed too. We rely on this to update the final notes and to put into our charts to show where we need extra contributors, and how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned / requested from other teams.
Rota for drafting notes:
You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed. We are excited to continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!
3. Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration
- WCEU 2021 officially announced and scheduled on 7-10 June 2021. The Marketing Team working with WCEU Organizers with preparation for Contributor dayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/..
- WordPress maintenance release is scheduled for 7 April 2021.
- In preparation for the FSE merge with WordPress coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress., we collected questions and doubts about this new technology during several collaborative sessions. Thanks to all participants. The time of the merge will be decided in April (13 or 17), it can be 5.8 in July 2021 or 5.9 in December 2021, from this point we will start our work in preparation for the release promotion support. Stay tuned for FSE news.
- We have had a lot of complimentary messages from MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. organizers and speakers about our support to them with marketing and communications. Well done to everyone involved.
Social Media Promotions: #LearnWP, #OnlineWPMeetup
Update via: @lmurillom
A big thank you to everyone working on this cycle of promotions and planning
- Thank you to all those who amplified the third FSE Call for Testing, Online Meetups and mega meetups as well as #WPDiversity on social.
- Thank you to @yashwardhanrana for contributing to the #OnlineWPMeetup roundup this week.
- Please share the the weekly #OnlineWPMeetup roundup on LinkedIn and the Meetups shared on the @wordpressevents Twitter feed.
- Keep an eye out for #LearnWP posts and engage with them on social media during the coming weeks.
- We need more people to help with the #LearnWP updates, if you have experience of social media management for a brand or campaign, or in video editing and can help, let us know!
- If you have a ‘Mega Meetup’, with 3 or more Meetups joining forces, please let us know in the #marketing channel and we will promote.
Contributor Onboarding Guides
- Work continues (please see the Contributor Onboarding Guides update in last week’s Notes), and @ifrountas is joining @herculespekkas to work on the Greek version.
- Contributing Team of WCEU 2021 lead @webcommsat is working on Onboarding videos as well.
- We are very pleased to welcome many of our WCEU organizers to work alongside the marketing team on onboarding video and other contributor events/ getting started communications.
- We are looking for help with the contributor orientation tool. Could you take part with a small task group? We especially want to involve new contributors in this. Let @OGlekler and @webcommsat know if you have time to give to this in the next two months.
- If you speak Portuguese (Brazil) and can help with the onboarding video for this locale, please reach out to @oglekler.
- If you speak Persian and can help with the onboarding video for this locale, please reach out to @oglekler.
- If you can help with a language that is not in this playlist, contact @oglekler to find out how to get started contributing in your own language.
People of WordPress
Update via: @webcommsat
- The People of WordPress meeting will take place on Wednesday 7 April 2021 at 13:00 UTC. Please note that this is an hour before the time that was shared in our previous meeting. Because of daylight savings, starting next week the global marketing meeting will be at 14.00 UTC, so the People of WordPress meeting will take place one hour before that.
- The series is now planned out until February 2022, so there are lots of opportunities to participate in the coming year.
- We have a schedule and draft contribution/allocation rota we can share with you on the 7th April 2021.
- If you can’t make this new time for the People of WordPress meeting, we will make sure to share the notes with you and keep you updated, just reply to this slack thread.
4. Collaborations and Planning
Topic: FSE Benefits
Task: Are you able to help with the thinking on this to help our team better understand FSE benefits? We will share the learnings with others.
Please contribute to the shared document asynchronously. Link in Slack.
Questions coming in during the collaboration include:
- “Can’t I edit the site everywhere already? How will FSE be different?”
- “Lots of different things referred to with the word ‘blocks’, I’m confused”
- “How much notice will people get to learn FSE. Is there lots to learn?”
- “Is it the same as ‘easy editing’ or ‘full control editing’ so I won’t need to hire a developer anymore and can put any colors and fonts where I want them?”
Topic: 5.5 – 5.7 Release Highlights
Task: Are there benefits from 5.7 release that you can help us highlight internally and to Meetups? What is your favorite new feature in recent releases 5.5-5.7?
Please contribute to the shared document asynchronously. Link in Slack.
We especially appreciate the contributions from people whose first language is not English. These contributions really made a difference to our work in supporting the diverse speaker training sessions and many of our other collaborations.
5. AOB and Further Action Items
- Reminder that starting next week, our global Marketing meeting will take place at 14.00 UTC.
- Thanks to all the people who have contributed async to the release terms and FSE words they have not understood as a non-technical user. We will be sharing this with @annezazu and others after next week. So there is lots of time to add your suggestions. There are always terms we don’t understand, so please do let us know. We really appreciate your input and it can help us in our internal communications and potentially feed into the project’s external communications too.
- If you are facilitating a starter task, please let us know what updates are needed for our starter task page and any extra contributors needed in our Monday update on the channel.
- We have a weekly, relaxed coffee break and a drop-in session where you can just come along. Thanks to all those who have volunteered to run relaxation type content at these sessions. .
6. Forthcoming Diary Dates
If you need accessibility or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the #marketing channel on Slack. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post.
A reminder about our Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations and social activities.
Global Meeting Times
Following feedback and surveys, we are changing the Global Marketing meeting time to accommodate as many people as possible.
- 6 January 2021 to 24 March 2021 inclusive, 15:00 UTC
- 31 March 2021 until 31st October 2021 inclusive, 14:00 UTC
- 3 November 2021 until Daylight Saving Time change in Europe, 15:00 UTC
Next Marketing Meeting
Wednesday 31 March 2021, 14:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack.
➤ How to get started?
If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.