If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.
1. Welcome, introduction, new contributors
- These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- Attendees Slack Thread
- Welcoming new contributors – New Attendees Welcome Thread
@nalininonstopnewsuk has been supporting members and reviewing systems in this area. If anyone has an accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) issue or needs some help with using one of the contributor tools, please let us know or include her (@Nalini on Slack) in your message.
Get involved – starter tasks for new and returning contributors, and those who have pledged to support the team and need assistance to get started
2. Meeting Notes
A big thanks to @yashwardhanrana and @lmurillom, for contributing to drafting, follow ups and actions from last week’s meeting notes. Note: Please review and add comments in suggestion mode – link in the Slack. These notes will be updated as appropriate.
A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed too. We rely on this to update the final notes and to put into our charts to show where we need extra contributors, and how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned / requested from other teams.
Rota for drafting notes:
You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed. We are excited to continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!
3. Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration
Update via: @lmurillom
A big thank you to everyone working on this cycle of promotions and planning
- We have been sharing the third FSE Call for Testing, Online Meetups, and mega meetups as well as #WPDiversity on social. Please share and also participate in the testing!
- Volunteers for help with editing graphics: we had some volunteers be nominated or come forward. The relevant team members have reached out to them on this and we hope to be able to get them started soon. There are still opportunities with this.
- Please share the third FSE Call for Testing, the weekly #OnlineWPMeetup roundup and the #WPDiversity posts on LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Please participate in the FSE Call for Testing by creating a unique and custom 404 page.
- Keep an eye out for #LearnWP posts and engage with them on social media during the coming weeks.
- We need more people to help with the #LearnWP updates, if you have experience of social media management for a brand or campaign, or in video editing and can help, let us know!
- If you have a ‘Mega Meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area.’, with 3 or more Meetups joining forces, please let us know in the #marketing channel and we will promote.
- Please follow the @wordpressevents Twitter account and share our weekly highlight of WordPress Meetup events and news on the Marketing Team LinkedIn Page. If you haven’t already, please follow it. We have reached 100+ followers with your help!
Links to social media announcement posts can be followed through the following Slack thread replies.
Contributor Onboarding Guides
Update via: @oglekler and @marks99
- Danish: @dejliglama is working on the Danish version.
- Brazilian Portuguese: we’re currently looking for a volunteer to work on this video!
- Japanese: @nao is working on the Japanese version.
- Arabic: @samahnasr is working on the Arabic version.
- Marathi: @mkrndmane is working on the Marathi version.
- Greek: @herculespekkas is working on the Greek version.
- Hindi: @meher has asked @anjuabhilash who did the voice over to translate the text to Hindi so we can use it as a caption.
- Gujrati: @meher will update by next week.
- Bangla: @meher will follow up with @rahuldsarker
- If you speak Portuguese (Brazil) and can help with the onboarding video for this locale, please reach out to @oglekler.
- If you speak Persian and can help with the onboarding video for this locale, please reach out to @oglekler.
- We have WCEU 2021 very soon, and these onboarding videos will be widely used. If you can help with a language that is not in this playlist, contact @oglekler to find out how to get started contributing in your own language.
- Check out and share the onboarding videos in the playlist on the WordPress Marketing Team channel on YouTube. Thanks to all who have helped create onboarding videos in different languages.
People of WordPress
Update via: @webcommsat
- The People of WordPress meeting will take place on Wednesday 7 April 2021 at 14:00 UTC.
- The series is now planned out until February 2022, so there are lots of opportunities to participate in the coming year.
- We have a schedule and draft contribution/allocation rota we can share with you on the 7th.
- So far the following people have requested to be involved: @meher, @lmurillom, @nalininonstopnewsuk, @yvettesonneveld, @wpfiddlybits, @majaloncar, @marybaum, @sthakor, @oglekler (thanks for the offer of help to look at where translations can go and be listed), @ugyensupport, @chaion07, @technocrews @geheren, @megphillips91
- We have had some offers of help for working on images for these. If you are still able to help, please let @lmurillom know.
- @chaion07 offered help with some of his colleagues with resizing and checking pictures for the next few issues.
4. Collaborations and Planning
Topic: What you are finding confusing about FSE
Task: We have a lot of information coming out while this project is in active development and now we are moving close to the moment where Full Site Editing will be included in the WordPress Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. and it’s important to pinpoint things that can be confusing and clarify for promotion purposes.
- FSE has very promising features but all changes can confuse people, so, we need to clarify the information and make it simple to understand for non-native speakers and non-tech users who use WordPress and also show potential newcomers it’s advantages with FSE.
- Please contribute to the shared document asynchronously. Link in Slack.
5. AOB and Further Action Items
- @vimes1984 has been working on the GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ work processes. If any GitHub power users want to help, please reach out to him.
- If you are facilitating a starter task, please let us know what updates are needed for our starter task page and any extra contributors needed in our Monday update on the channel.
- We know a large number of our contributors are struggling with the impact of Covid restrictions, effect on their workplace and incomes, homeschooling demands, lack of physical location to take part in contributing due to the requirements, budget and job cuts, and other issues from the current public health emergency. Some of our contributors currently do not have access to equipment or facilities to contribute as their offices are closed. Thank you to all the people who have been in touch about this. As a marketing team, we understand and we will collectively try to support everyone in their contributor journey as much as possible, especially during this very difficult time.
- We are trying to set out items in such a way that people can contribute more asynchronously and using more discussion based collaborations. This has helped to some degree, combined with our emphasis on accommodating different time zones. But we appreciate it is still not easy to balance time for contributing with the unprecedented demand and challenges from the effect of the public health emergency.
- Please do let the team reps, project group, notes group know (just drop a line in the Slack and ask someone from these admin and task groups to come back to you), if you are experiencing difficulties contributing due to the impact of Covid, we will try and help you where we can. Contributing to the project is a journey for all of us, and we want to support each other. We know there will be times when it is just not possible to give time due to external pressures. Just let us know and we can help you get back involved when you can and try to rearrange tasks where possible.
- We have a weekly, relaxed coffee break and a drop-in session where you can just come along. Thanks to all those who have volunteered to run relaxation type content at these sessions. .
6. Forthcoming Diary Dates
If you need accessibility or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post.
A reminder about our Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations and social activities.
Global meeting times
Following feedback and surveys, we are changing the Global Marketing meeting time to accommodate as many people as possible.
- 6 January 2021 to 24 March 2021 inclusive, 15:00 UTC
- 31 March 2021 until 31st October 2021 inclusive, 14:00 UTC
- 3 November 2021 until Daylight Saving Time change in Europe, 15:00 UTC
Next Marketing meeting
Wednesday 24 March 2021, 15:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack.
Does your task need some time in a future agenda?
➤ How to get started?
If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.