1. Welcome, introduction, new contributors
- These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- Attendees Slack Thread
- Welcoming new contributors – New Attendees Welcome Thread
Marketing Contributor introductory sessions in 2021 – booking details
@nalininonstopnewsuk has been supporting members and reviewing systems in this area. If anyone has an accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) issue or needs some help with using one of the contributor tools, please let us know or include her (@Nalini on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.) in your message.
Get involved – starter tasks for new and returning contributors, and those who have pledged to support the team and need assistance to get started
2. Meeting Notes
A big thanks to @ugyensupport and @lmurillom, for contributing to drafting, follow ups and actions from last week’s meeting notes. Note: Please review and add comments in suggestion mode – link in the Slack. These notes will be updated as appropriate.
A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed too. We rely on this to update the final notes and to put into our charts to show where we need extra contributors, and how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned / requested from other teams.
Rota for drafting notes:
You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed. We are excited to continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!
3. Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration
Update via: @lmurillom
A big thank you to everyone working on this cycle of promotions and planning.
- Promotions for #LearnWP will start next week.
- Volunteers for help with editing graphics: we had some volunteers be nominated or come forward. The relevant team members have reached out to them on this and we hope to be able to get them started soon. There are still opportunities with this.
- We have promoted the FSE Call for Testing, online meetups and mega meetups as well as #WPDiversity this past week.
- We will include the new lesson plans in our social planning for #LearnWP
- Please share the third FSE Call for Testing, the weekly #OnlineWPMeetup roundup and the upcoming #WPDiversity posts on LinkedIn and Twitter.
- If you have a ‘Mega Meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area.’, with 3 or more Meetups joining forces, please let us know in the #marketing channel and we will promote.
- We need more people to help with the #LearnWP updates, if you have experience of social media management for a brand or campaign, or in video editing and can help, let us know!
- Please follow the @wordpressevents Twitter account, #OnlineWPMeetup is being promoted through that channel, as well as #WPDiversity posts.
- You can share our weekly highlight of WordPress Meetup events and news on the Marketing Team LinkedIn Page. If you haven’t already, please follow it. We have reached 100+ followers with your help!
Contributor Support Sessions
Update via: @maedahbatool, @yvettesonneveld
- To facilitate both new and existing contributors, the WordPress Marketing team has started a series of induction and onboarding sessions under the title “Contribution Made Fun & Easy”. So far, we have hosted two of these sessions, and are covering topics such as how to use Slack, Google Meet and more.
- The team organised a session on Google Meet last February 16th. We had 6 participants, 2 of them first time participants, 4 of them had attended the previous session.We covered in-depth techniques about Meet as a go-to video conferencing tool.
- To help contributors who have missed the session, the session is recorded.
- The third onboarding session of the “Contributing Made Fun & Easy” series is on Tuesday, March 16th, 2021, at 14:00 UTC.
- We’ll be discussing how you can get better at collaborating with Slack as one of the most go-to tools for team or one-to-one communication. Join us to discover and learn all the tips and tricks that’ll help you master the skill of using Slack.
- If you want to join the third onboarding session on Tuesday, March 16th, 2021 at 14:00 UTC, you can sign up using this Google form. In case of any queries please reach out to @yvettesonneveld & @maedahbatool through Slack.
- We would like to extend the contributor onboarding team with one more person. For this role, expect to set aside between 1 (average) and 3 (for the weeks with a training) hours a week.
- We are looking for someone who would like to help with some assistance at first, for instance with sending reminders and slide decks, and helping with promoting the sessions.
- To make scheduling meetings easy, we have a preference for someone in a timezone near UTC +1 and UTC +5. Right now, we are meeting weekly at 9:00 UTC.
- If you have an interest in co-hosting sessions later on, even better. Please contact @yvettesonneveld through Slack if interested.
Contributor Onboarding Guides
Update via: @oglekler and @marks99
- Danish: @dejliglama is working on the Danish version.
- Brazilian Portuguese: we’re currently looking for a volunteer to work on this video!
- Japanese: @nao is working on the Japanese version.
- Arabic: @samahnasr is working on the Arabic version.
- Marathi: @mkrndmane is working on the Marathi version.
- Greek: @herculespekkas is working on the Greek version.
- Bangla, Gujarati, & Hindi: @meher will be following up on these tasks.
- If you speak Portuguese (Brazil) and can help with the onboarding video for this locale, please reach out to @oglekler.
- If you speak Persian and can help with the onboarding video for this locale, please reach out to @oglekler.
- We have WCEU 2021 in a few months, and these onboarding videos will be widely used. If you can help with a language that is not in this playlist, contact @oglekler to find out how to get started contributing in your own language.
- Check out and share the onboarding videos in the playlist on the WordPress Marketing Team channel on YouTube. Thanks to all who have helped create onboarding videos in different languages.
4. Collaborations and Planning
Content Series Brainstorm
Task: We are brainstorming potential content series for wordpress.org/news. These should be meaningful, engaging, relevant to our audience and be produced through sustainable and repeatable processes. Collaboration document in this link.
- Please continue to add to the shared document asynchronously.
5. AOB and Further Action Items
- @vimes1984 has been working on the GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ work processes. If any GitHub power users want to help, please reach out to him.
- We have been receiving enquiries about when the mini translation event will be held this year. In the coming week we will be connecting with @nao and @evarlese to discuss.
- The first Thursday coffee break of every month is devoted to a marketing and communications topic. If you have an expertise in a particular aspect of theory or practice, and would be interested in sharing your knowledge, please let @webcommsat and @lmurillom know.
- If you are facilitating a starter task, please let us know what updates are needed for our starter task page and any extra contributors needed in our Monday update on the channel.
6. Forthcoming Diary Dates
If you need accessibility or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post.
A reminder about our Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations and social activities.
Global meeting times
Following feedback and surveys, we are changing the Global Marketing meeting time to accommodate as many people as possible.
- 6 January 2021 to 24 March 2021 inclusive, 15:00 UTC
- 31 March 2021 until 31st October 2021 inclusive, 14:00 UTC
- 3 November 2021 until Daylight Saving Time change in Europe, 15:00 UTC
Next Marketing meeting
Wednesday 17 March 2021, 15:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack.
Does your task need some time in a future agenda?
➤ How to get started?
If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.