If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you.
1. Welcome, introduction, new contributors
These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
a. Attendance – Attendees Slack Thread
b. Welcoming new contributors – New Attendees Welcome Thread
Marketing Contributor introductory sessions in 2021 – booking details
@nalininonstopnewsuk has been supporting members and reviewing systems in this area. If anyone has an accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) issue or needs some help with using one of the contributor tools, please let us know or include her (@Nalini on Slack) in your message.
Get involved – starter tasks for new and returning contributors, and those who have pledged to support the team and need assistance to get started
2. Meeting Notes
A big thanks to @meher and @lmurillom, for contributing to drafting, follow ups and actions from last week’s meeting notes. Note: Please review and add comments in suggestion mode – link in the Slack. These notes will be updated as appropriate.
A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed too. We rely on this to update the final notes and to put into our charts to show where we need extra contributors, and how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned / requested from other teams.
Rota for drafting notes:
You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed. We are excited to continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!
3. Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration
Update via: @lmurillom, @courane01
- A big thank you to everyone working on this cycle of promotions and planning.
- We are finalising social media planning for #LearnWP which will start in the following weeks and continue through the next quarters.
- @courane01 introduced some new lesson plans for #LearnWP.
- Volunteers for help with editing graphics: we had some volunteers be nominated or come forward. The relevant team members have reached out to them on this and we hope to be able to get them started soon. There are still opportunities with this.
- @geheren will be helping with the video editing, and we are waiting for some changes on timings and the final brand images so we work on this.
- We have promoted the FSE Call for Testing, online meetups and #WPDiversity this past week.
- We will include the new lesson plans in our social planning for #LearnWP
- Please share the FSE Call for Testing on LinkedIn, the weekly #OnlineWPMeetup roundup and the #WPDiversity event.
- If you have a ‘Mega Meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area.’, with 3 or more Meetups joining forces, please let us know in the #marketing channel and we will promote.
- We need more people to help with the #LearnWP updates, if you have experience of social media management for a brand or campaign, or in video editing and can help, let us know!
- You can share our weekly highlight of WordPress Meetup events and news on the Marketing Team LinkedIn Page. If you haven’t already, please follow it. We have reached 100 followers with your help!
Contributor Support Sessions
Update via: @maedahbatool, @yvettesonneveld
- To facilitate both new and existing contributors, the WordPress Marketing team has started a series of induction and onboarding sessions under the title “Contribution Made Fun & Easy”. So far, we have hosted two of these sessions. And are covering topics such as how to use Slack, Google Meet and more.
- We are back with the third onboarding session of the “Contributing Made Fun & Easy” series on Tuesday, March 16th, 2021, at 14:00 UTC.
- We’ll be discussing how you can get better at collaborating with Slack as one of the most go-to tools for team or one-to-one communication. Join us to discover and learn all the tips and tricks that’ll help you master the skill of using Slack.
Contributor Onboarding Guides
Update via: @oglekler and @marks99
- Still need to finish (and need help from native language speakers):
- We have WCEU 2021 in a few months, and these onboarding videos will be widely used. If you can help with a language that is not in this playlist, contact @oglekler to find out how to get started contributing in your own language.
- Check out and share the onboarding videos in the playlist on the WordPress Marketing Team channel on YouTube. Thanks to all who have helped create onboarding videos in different languages.
4. Collaborations and Planning
Full Site Editing (FSE) Collaboration
Task: We have been working on raising awareness and understanding of Full Site Editing (FSE) within the Marketing Team and continuing some of our research. Now, we are drafting content to spread the excitement about FSE to non-technical users.
Collaboration document in this link.
Please see the Notes from the 17 February 2021 meeting which detail the questions we went over, in order to prepare for this task.
- We will continue to add to the shared document asynchronously. Under the Reading resources section, you can write your draft content to spread the excitement about FSE to non-technical users below. Please add your name and WordPress ID to the document and start contributing!
- Props @nalininonstopnewsuk with her WordPress Marketing Contributors on contribution to Full Site Editing (FSE) Collaboration.
5. AOB and Further Action Items
- Do we think this data dashboard could have any value in Marketing? Please add your thoughts to our Slack and we can produce a reply to post in response by next week.
- @paaljoachim has made a Make WordPress Design post in relation to an easier method of testing Gutenberg Pull Requests. One does not need a local dev environment setup, but instead just to download a special Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party that includes the PR.
- Daylight saving time changes to meetings. In Marketing we moved over to new arrangements from January 2021 in response to surveys. You can find them at: https://make.wordpress.org/marketing/2021/01/13/forthcoming-diary-dates/. We know people are still struggling with meeting times due to the impact of Covid. We have dates set for the rest of the year, but will review this again in November.
- Potentially dropping IE11 support in the core editor. This is being discussed including the impact of those using screen readers with IE11. If anyone has comments on this or data, please join the discussion or message @nalininonstopnewsuk if you have an accessibility issue.
- WordPress 5.7 Field Guide is available to help people prepare for the release. If you can help suggest questions and answers for non tech users, please let @OGlekler and @webcommsat know.
- Leave your feedback on the second call on testing for Full Site Editing. You can also share the promotional message thanks to @lmurillom and @annezazu on the WordPress Marketing Teams’s Linkedin channel.
- If your Meetup could benefit from helping people better understand and use Block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. Patterns, or you would be able to test some of the work on this, please let @MegPhillips91 know.
- The first Thursday coffee break of every month is devoted to a marketing and communications topic. If you have an expertise in a particular aspect of theory or practice, and would be interested in sharing your knowledge, please let @webcommsat and @lmurillom know.
- If you are facilitating a starter task, please let us know what updates are needed for our starter task page and any extra contributors needed in our Monday update on the channel.
6. Forthcoming Diary Dates
If you need accessibility or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post.
A reminder about our Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations and social activities.
Global meeting times
Following feedback and surveys, we are changing the Global Marketing meeting time to accommodate as many people as possible.
- 6 January 2021 to 24 March 2021 inclusive, 15:00 UTC
- 31 March 2021 until 31st October 2021 inclusive, 14:00 UTC
- 3 November 2021 until Daylight Saving Time change in Europe, 15:00 UTC
Next Marketing meeting
Wednesday 10 March 2021, 15:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack.
Does your task need some time in a future agenda?
➤ How to get started?
If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.