If you are reading these notes on a website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply or help involve you. (Slack is the instant messaging system the team uses, and login is required to view the messages. If you don’t have a Slack account, set one up.)
1. Welcome, introduction, new contributors
a. These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
a. Attendees Slack Thread
b. Welcoming new contributors – New Attendees Welcome Thread
Marketing Contributor introductory sessions in 2021 – booking details
@nalininonstopnewsuk has been supporting members and reviewing systems in this area. If anyone has an accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) issue or needs some help with using one of the contributor tools, please let us know or include her (@Nalini on Slack) in your message.
Get involved – starter tasks for new and returning contributors, and those who have pledged to support the team and need assistance to get started
3. Meeting Notes
A big thanks to @herculespekkas and @lmurillom, for contributing to drafting, follow ups and actions from last week’s meeting notes. Note: Please review and add comments in suggestion mode – link in the Slack. These notes will be updated as appropriate.
A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed too. We rely on this to update the final notes and to put into our charts to show where we need extra contributors, and how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned / requested from other teams.
Rota for drafting notes:
You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed. We are excited to continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!
4. Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration
- @megphillips91, @webcommsat @evarlese and @courane01 are discussing how to help people better understand and use Block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. Patterns. This includes progressing materials for Learn WordPress and the longer workshop as part of the post release marketing support for Meetups.
- @megphillips91 will be talking on 17 February 2021 at WordPress Portsmouth about upgrading plugins to work even more effectively with the Block Editor and latest versions of #WordPress. Join in!
- If your Meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. could benefit from helping people better understand and use Block Patterns, or you would be able to test some of the work on this, please let @MegPhillips91 know.
- The first Thursday coffee break of every month is devoted to a marketing and communications topic. If you have an expertise in a particular aspect of theory or practice, and would be interested in sharing your knowledge, please let @webcommsat and @lmurillom know.
- If you are facilitating a starter task, please let us know what updates are needed for our starter task page and any extra contributors needed in our Monday update on the channel.
Social Media Promotions
Update via: @lmurillom
- If you have a ‘Mega Meetup’, with 3 or more Meetups joining forces, please let us know in the #marketing channel and we will promote.
- We need more people to help with the #LearnWP updates, if you have experience of social media management for a brand or campaign, come and join us!
- Follow and share our weekly highlight of WordPress Meetup events and news on the Marketing team LinkedIn Page.
- Keep up with the #OnlineWPMeetup, #LearnWP, #WPDiversity and other announcements on the WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. and WordPress Events Twitter and Facebook accounts.
- You can share our weekly highlight of WordPress Meetup events and news on the Marketing Team LinkedIn Page. If you haven’t already, please follow it.
Contributor Support Sessions
Update via: @maedahbatool, @yvettesonneveld
- To facilitate both new and existing contributors, the WordPress Marketing team has started a series of induction and onboarding sessions under the title “Contribution Made Fun & Easy”. So far, we have hosted two of these sessions.
- These contributor support sessions are open to new contributors and those are returning to the team and wanting a refresher and to those who have pledged to contribute under Five for the Future.
Contributor Onboarding Guides
Update via: @oglekler and @meher
- Greek, Punjabi and more are in progress
- Brazilian Portuguese: @lmurillom will follow up
- Hindi and Bengali captions: @meher will follow up
- Marathi: @oglekler will connect with @mkrndmane
- If you don’t see your language in this playlist, contact @oglekler to find out how to get started contributing in your own language.
- Check out and share the onboarding videos in the playlist on the WordPress Marketing Team channel on YouTube. Thanks to all who have helped create onboarding videos in different languages.
WordPress Internationalization Workshop
Update via: @oglekler and @meher
- We are exploring the key areas we think should be in the lesson plan for the Internationalization Workshop and the order of those items based on the problem/challenges work that has already been done.
- The discussion in Slack from the last meeting on this task, as well as the collaboration document are in this thread.
- Additional volunteers: If you are experienced in internationalizing strings as a developer or translator, please come and collaborate!
- @nao, @evarlese and @webtechpooja will share this with others who would be able to add further to this in their next Polyglots, Learn WordPress and Training meetings.
Questions and Answers for 5.7
Update via: @oglekler
- We are going to develop and test this with Learn WordPress to help produce a process for collaboration with Training on its Lesson Plans and workshops.
- Are you a developer in this team who can help with this? Please let @oglekler know if you can assist.
WordPress campaign to encourage those who have pledged to support the marketing team
Update via: @webcommsat
- We have had some great meetings on this across teams on Slack. You can add to the document in Google Drive and provide input before the P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. is published. Link to the Slack meeting.
- Please continue collaborating on this document, it’s not closed yet! You can make suggestions on the document until Friday, 26 February 14h00 UTC.
4. Collaborations and Planning
Full Site Editing (FSE) Collaboration
Task: We will be working on raising awareness and understanding of Full Site Editing (FSE) within the Marketing Team and continuing some of our research.
Just a reminder of the suggested preparatory reading for this session, can be found on item 6 on the agenda.
Collaboration document in this link.
We went over questions for an audience of non tech users, people with limited CMS experience and relatively new to WordPress
- What would they need to understand about FSE as a first step?
- What are likely to be the most important benefits for this audience?
- Are there any key words we would think would benefit this audience in their initial introduction/ induction to FSE?
There were some great ideas and discussions, and an informal poll to measure awareness of FSE. The questions asked were:
A) Are you familiar with what full site editing is and that there is work going on developing this area in the Project at the moment?
B) Have you heard the term full side editing or FSE?
C) Do you think that this will affect the work that you do in marketing, communications or other areas? If so, it will be useful to understand how you think it will affect and any steps you are taking to understand it more or preparing for it.
These questions are part of our background preparation for helping team members understand, have a great awareness of FSE, and the different kind of information needs that there may be.
In the review for awareness we are doing, it would also help to know whether there are there any areas of the FSE reading material highlighted on the agenda [item 6] that you feel you don’t understand enough for your environment? All this helps as in thinking about what might be needed in the future to communicate about the benefits of FSE.
Further reading in Slack thread.
- We will continue to add to the shared document asynchronously.
- Please answer the questions in the straw poll detailed above.
- If you were not able to participate in the session, please add your name to the document and start contributing!
Collaboration Slack Thread
5. Forthcoming Diary Dates
If you need accessibility or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post.
A reminder about our Google Calendar with meetings, collaborations and social activities.
Global meeting times
Following feedback and surveys, we are changing the Global Marketing meeting time to accommodate as many people as possible.
- 6 January 2021 to 24 March 2021 inclusive, 15:00 UTC
- 31 March 2021 until 31st October 2021 inclusive, 14:00 UTC
- 3 November 2021 until Daylight Saving Time change in Europe, 15:00 UTC
Next Marketing meeting
Wednesday 24 February 2021, 15:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack.
Does your task need some time in a future agenda?
➤ How to get started?
If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.