The Marketing team promotes WordPress to current and future users and contributors. We create and amplify campaigns to support the growth of the WordPress project.
If you are reading these notes on another website other than the Make WordPress Marketing blog, please contact us on the #marketing channel on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or via the team’s blog as we may not be aware of comments you add on other sites to be able to reply, help involve you. Thanks
1. Welcome, introduction, new contributors
a) These summary notes focus on key items and actions from the meeting and to assist with an asynchronous contribution to the Global Marketing Team. For those unable to attend a meeting due to timezone issues, please do join the discussion threads after the meeting and send your updates.
- The meeting discussions on the Marketing team on Slack can be found at this Slack thread
- Read the agenda for this meeting
- Meeting led by: @webcommsat and @oglekler
- Meeting notes and follow-up actions: @yashwardhanrana, @lmurillom, @webcommsat, @meher, @oglekler and @nalininonstopnewsuk
@nalininonstopnewsuk has been supporting members and reviewing systems in this area. If anyone has an accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) issue or needs some help with using one of the contributor tools, please let us know or include @nalininonstopnewsuk in your message.
2. Meeting Notes
A big thanks to @maedahbatool, @meher, @webcommsat, @oglekler, @lmurillom, for contributing to drafting, follow ups and actions from last week’s meeting notes. Note: Please review and add comments in suggestion mode – link in the Slack. These notes will be updated as appropriate.
A reminder to check the draft notes is circulated at the meeting every week. Please review and check your WordPress.org ID is listed on collaborations that you have actively contributed too. We rely on this to update the final notes and to put into our charts to show where we need extra contributors, and how we are having an input and impact onto the work assigned / requested from other teams.
Rota for drafting notes:
- 3 February 2021: @yashwardhanrana
- 10 February 2021: @herculespekkas
- 17 February 2021: @yvettesonneveld
➤ How can I help?
You can volunteer to contribute to notes for future meetings. Please note that the initial draft is needed by Friday 17.00 UTC each week to help with actions and follow-ups that might be needed. We are super excited that we continue to expand our contributors who are helping draft the notes!
3. Tasks, Working Groups, and Team Celebration
a) Celebrations Thread
This week, the Marketing team has the following achievements to celebrate:
- This week and next we are updating our starter tasks. You can always find them on this page and we highlight tasks on Mondays in the Slack channel too.
- WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. India is a 3-weekend event that started Jan 30-31, 2021 and will continue this coming weekend on Feb 6-7 and then on Feb 13-14.
- The team has been busy preparing for WordCamp India contributor days, which are this weekend (Feb 6-7 2021). Thanks to everyone involved. If you have not already volunteered to be involved on the Marketing table, then please let us know or include @nalininonstopnewsuk in your message on the channel. We will also be working with other teams on particular tasks, including Training, Polyglots and Community. For more details please read this post.
- We will be working on #LearnWP marketing at the WordCamp India Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/.. Please reach out to @meher and @webcommsat if you would like to be involved in this. We are excited to be continuing our collaboration with Training on this.
- The Marketing Team has made suggestions on the About Page copy for WordPress 5.7, with @webcommsat, @marybaum and @yvettesonneveld coordinating the input.
- The new WP Briefing podcast run by Josepha has launched. It is great to have this. She highlighted the work of the teams for Learn WordPress, and for which marketing has been involved for about seven months and continues to work closely with Training, Polyglots, CoreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. and Community. We have also identified some potential ways the software can be used for the longer term in supporting marketing around polyglots, Learn WordPress, and more.
- This Thursday 4 February 2021, at 20:00 (8pm) UTC, we will be having a session exploring keywords in the Marketing monthly MeetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area.. This includes opportunities to continue our work on Learn WordPress, Releases and some of our other campaigns. We held had one earlier session during the marketing meeting on this to enable. A zoom link will be shared in the Marketing Slack. If anyone needs captioning, please let @meher or @nalininonstopnewsuk know by Thursday 10:00 UTC, and we will use an appropriate platform. [Update – thanks to all who attended on Zoom, audio or in Google Docs]
- The first Thursday coffee break of every month is devoted to a marketing and communications topic. If you have an expertise in a particular aspect of theory or practice, and would be interested in sharing your knowledge, please let @webcommsat and @lmurillom know.
- @MegPhillips91, @webcommsat and others continue working on a BlockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. Patterns workshop as part of the post release marketing support for Meetups, for Learn WordPress, and as part of our Questions and Answers for the releases. If your Meetup could benefit from this, let them know.
Social Media Update: Follow and share our weekly highlight of WordPress Meetup events and news on the Marketing team LinkedIn Page. Keep up with the #OnlineWPMeetup, #LearnWP and other announcements on the WordCamp and WordPress Events social channels. Twitter and Facebook accounts.
b) Task Updates and actions
Contributor Support Sessions
- Session 2 of the “Contribution Made Fun & Easy” series that was planned for Tuesday, February 2nd, 2021 was cancelled after feedback and cancellations from attendees.
- A new monthly schedule has been published with a shift to 14:00 UTC to accommodate a wider audience, and separate signup forms for each meeting. These contributor support sessions are open to those returning to the team and wanting a refresher and to those who have pledged to contribute under Five for the Future.
- If you are a (relatively) new contributor and would like to learn more about the WordPress project, the tasks our team works on, the tools we use and get some tips on how to make contributing fun and easy, join us for our contributor introduction sessions.
Contributor Onboarding Guides
- Hindi: @nalininonstopnewsuk will do the second check of the video when it is ready and it will hopefully be captioned during the WC India Contributor day and verified by a GTEGeneral Translation Editor General Translation Editor – One of the polyglots team leads in a geographic region https://make.wordpress.org/polyglots/teams/. Further information at https://make.wordpress.org/polyglots/handbook/glossary/#general-translation-editor..
- Greek: @herculespekkas is working on this
- Simple Chinese: @Guangwei is exploring this
- Bangla: @rahuldsarker is working on the synchronization of the captions
- Japanese, Arabic and Persian: need captions synchronized. Please let us know if you can help with this.
- Urdu: @maedahbatool is finding a volunteer for this video and will give a timeline as to when it will be finished.
- We have new onboarding videos in the playlist on the WordPress Marketing Team channel on YouTube. Thanks to all who have helped create onboarding videos in different languages.
- Further actions: If you don’t see your language in this playlist, contact @oglekler to find out how to get started contributing in your own language.
WordPress Internationalization Workshop
- The next meeting time will be on 10 February 2021 at 14.00 UTC.
- What you will need: we will be using Zoom or Google Hangouts and Google Doc. Please let us know if you will need live captions or need to work in the Google Doc and Slack only. Thanks.
- We ask for those who are working on this task to collaborate async using the document shared, which will be reviewed at this meeting. The shared document for this task is in this thread.
- Additional volunteers: If you are experienced in internationalizing strings as a developer and can contribute to this work, please can you add to this document.
Social Media Posts for Learn WordPress and Meetup promotions
Update via: @lmurillom. Actions and volunteer opportunities listed below.
- We need six more people to join the task group who have experience in writing social media for brands
- If you manage social media for a brand or a corporate or have experience in learning environments, this is a perfect task for you.
- We need people with a design background or experience with graphics editing. The tasks require experience resizing and compressing images, and with using Canva, Photoshop and Illustrator (we mostly work with .png, .jpeg, .gif, .svg formats) as well as an understanding of accessibility.
- Action: Thanks to the people who volunteered or were suggested last week to help with this, we have reached out and look forward to you collaborating on it.
- You can share our weekly highlight of WordPress Meetup events and news on the Marketing Team LinkedIn Page. If you haven’t already, please follow it.
- Please like and share this week’s #OnlineWPMeetup post on LinkedIn.
- Do follow the @wordpressevents Twitter account, online meetups are also being promoted through that channel.
- Currently the task we’re recruiting for is to collaborate weekly, writing copy to promote #OnlineWPMeetup via Twitter posts (and Facebook as a second priority).
- We’ve been consistent with publishing weekly roundup posts on LinkedIn for 20+ weeks and we need to do the same across other social networks. Please reply on this thread if you’re interested and are able to give the time – thank you!
- Keep up with the #WPDiversity and #LearnWP announcements on the WordCamp Twitter and Facebook accounts.
Questions and Answers for 5.7
- Research has started
- Are you a developer who can help with this? We are going to develop and test this with Learn WordPress to help produce a process for collaboration with Training on its Lesson Plans and workshops and as part of our process draft for Josepha. Please let @meher know if you can assist.
A request was raised for any further updates on tasks, queries or meetings scheduled. Nothing further was received for the weekly update.
4. Collaborations and Planning
Monthly Promotions on the Team
- Highlighted and opportunities to volunteer. More at Contributor Days at WordCamp India. Details of how you can share posts in the notes above
WordPress campaign to encourage those who have pledged to support the marketing team
Task: We have more than 700 pledges to the Marketing team, but have a much lower number of active contributors. We want to reach pledgers and encourage them to become more involved.
Collaboration document in this link.
We explored answers to the questions:
- If you were searching for opportunities to collaborate/contribute to the WordPress Marketing Team, what keywords would you search for on the Make WordPress blog and on search engines?
- How can we encourage pledgers and new contributors, in general, to think towards medium and long term collaboration?
- What do we understand as pledging to give time to Marketing? This will help us explain this more to those who have pledged or are considering doing so?
We had some great ideas and discussions.
- We have added some additional questions so please do continue to collaborate in the document.
- Task meeting will take place on Tuesday 9 February 2021, 15:00 to 16:00 UTC. All those who have volunteered and any additional contributors are welcome. Please let us know if you will be coming in the Marketing Slack. We will be using Zoom or Google Hangouts and Google Doc.
5. Forthcoming Diary Dates
If you need accessibility or language support to participate in any of our work and meetings, please let one of the team reps know in the marketing channel on Slack. We are keen to continue to try and help and promote inclusion and diversity in the team.
Upcoming Diary Dates are in this dedicated post.
Change in global meeting times
Following feedback and surveys, we are changing the Global Marketing meeting time to accommodate as many people as possible.
- 6 January 2021 to 24 March 2021 inclusive, 15:00 UTC
- 31 March 2021 until 31st October 2021 inclusive, 14:00 UTC
- 3 November 2021 until Daylight Saving Time change in Europe, 15:00 UTC
Next Marketing meeting
Wednesday 10 February 2021, 15:00 UTC – Global Marketing Team meeting in the #marketing channel on Slack
➤ How to get started?
If you were in the Marketing Team meeting and would like some extra help to get started to contribute to the project, contact @maedahbatool for information on future Contributors Onboarding events.